Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Alfa Romeo Stelvio is going to get SKF’s third generation HBU3. Most people overlook the wheel hub bearing units , but they allow a car's wheel to spin freely and it contributes to how a car performs like smoothness of the ride, fuel efficiency, etc.

Admittedly, I don't exactly know how they work but Automotive World claims the HBU3 units are able to "achieve very low run-out tolerances, reducing vibration and noise during braking."

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've never ever looked at components to that degree so deep in there but this is interesting to hear about. Typically people just focus on what kind of shocks and struts it's running, or who makes the axles and differentials/transmissions. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone talking about products this "small in size" in relation to everything else.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Makes me wonder how important the SKF hub units are to how the Stelvio handles, but from what I gather, it mainly aids in how smoothly the brakes operate and not the drive dynamics. Not really something that has ever crossed my mind and I most likely won't ever look too deeply into it unless the part needs repairs of replacement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts