Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up this morning. Got into my beautiful stelvio. Pushed on the brake peddle and pressed the start button. Car starts to turn on but my foot slipped of of the brake peddle during the start cycle. All **** brakes loose. The stalvio stops the start cycle. Tach and speedo needles are going back and fourth none stop. Windshield wipers start going. All info on the displays are flashing rapidly. All lights everywhere on the stelvio are blinking like crazy. I think my stelvio has turned into into Christine (devil car from 80's movie).
Needless to say I need to have my car taken to the dealer. The stelvio is 2 months old and has 1,300 miles on it.
UGH!!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I talked to the service manager at auto nation stevens creek san jose california (where I purchased the stelvio) and she said it sounds like a dying battery. She said that I could try to jump start the stelvio if I wanted but I could call the alfa road side assistance to get the stalvio to them. I am very good mechanically and I definitely know how to jump start a car but wanted the forums opinion. should I try to jump my baby and drive it to them so they can diagnose the issues/replace the battery or should I have it towed. Of course if I tried to jump and it does not start then it definitely get towed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MAybe?? I will ask them when I get it there and let everyone know. The stelvio is one of the best vehicle I have ever owned. My 1970 1750GTV is the next.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
mopar has a 1750GTV!!??!!

one of the stupidest things I ever did was sell mine, I'd had it over twenty years - just a wonderful car.

it is nice to hear you rate your stelvio higher.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I do have one. Sits in the backyard. Saving to restore it. Stelvio is better because of the technological changes from 1970 and 2017. The 1750GTV is a rough ride and the steering is not as responsive. Basically drives like an old car. I love the triple single barrel carbs look though but hate calibrating them. I changed the intake, wish i did not.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
triple singles? odd choice.
I had dual double throat webers on a early 2000 spider, and I agree, the SPICA injection was much better. Yes, even my Alfettas were more modern than the GTV, with a nice ride, but the GTV is special - and although the steering ratio might not be as quick as the stelvios, it's pretty darn direct and responsive.
I do know of someone looking for a 1750 if you decide to quit saving.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I jumped started the stelvio per the manual and it started. Here is all the lovely lights I have on my dash now. 11am appointment tomorrow to figure out why the battery is drained and to fix all the pretty lights.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be driving the car to the dealer. Do you think it will be in limp mode? If so will it go at least 65 MPH to keep up with traffic?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes my carb choice was a little strange and I used stromberg carbs. I will keep you in mind if that day ever comes.

triple singles? odd choice.
I had dual double throat webers on a early 2000 spider, and I agree, the SPICA injection was much better. Yes, even my Alfettas were more modern than the GTV, with a nice ride, but the GTV is special - and although the steering ratio might not be as quick as the stelvios, it's pretty darn direct and responsive.
I do know of someone looking for a 1750 if you decide to quit saving.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I will be driving the car to the dealer. Do you think it will be in limp mode? If so will it go at least 65 MPH to keep up with traffic?
Those lights will probably clear after the battery has charged enough, and some of the sensors will always do this after completely losing power because they need to self calibrate which will happen after a few minutes of driving. I've had it happen quite a few times on my current car (2015 Jeep Cherokee). A lot of the sensors seem to rely on having a good level of charge on the battery. I don't think it will go into limp mode.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is great to hear. I will let you all know the results from the dealer this afternoon.

Those lights will probably clear after the battery has charged enough, and some of the sensors will always do this after completely losing power because they need to self calibrate which will happen after a few minutes of driving. I've had it happen quite a few times on my current car (2015 Jeep Cherokee). A lot of the sensors seem to rely on having a good level of charge on the battery. I don't think it will go into limp mode.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
unclear from the description if it's the same issue I just went through, but I had a faulty fuel pump. I was able to limp to the dealer about 60-65mph, but it accelerated about as fast as a Nissan xuv, if that even, and ~65 was the top speed it could hit.

Shop manager also told me that they expect Alfa to be releasing a software update soon for cars based upon some early check engine light issues they have seen, so I suspect hope that these early issues several of us have had will become a thing of the past very soon.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Software update

Shop manager also told me that they expect Alfa to be releasing a software update soon for cars based upon some early check engine light issues they have seen, so I suspect hope that these early issues several of us have had will become a thing of the past very soon.
Has anyone checked their Infotainment systems screen under "Software Update?" The system menu option on the dash allows you to choose the following options: "Current Version" Update Software" or "Restore Software"

I was going to fiddle with it but then thought. Heck, if it's not broken I better not. My Stelvio is running perfect. (Production date: JUNE/2017)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the stelvio back yesterday. The battery was bad. The service manager said they were sent new betteries from Alfa Romeo because of a bad batch. Looks like I got one. All is great again!!! I love my stelvio. The service courtesy vehicle was a maserati 4 door from the lot. It surged a lot like it had vapor lock or was starving for fuel. Made me happy i chose the alfa and not the maserati.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts