Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday afternoon after having taken the car through the car wash for the first time ever about an hour prior (I wouldn't allow the dealer to wash it on delivery until I first did my own paint protection application) I got a Service Electronic Speed Control error after the engine refused to start 3 times. Video here shows the 4th and 5th attempt to start the engine, where it actually started on the 5th try. I drove it straight to the dealer (at a very reduced engine performance, hardly able to reach 60mph on the highway) where they ran some diagnostics and cleared the codes, only to have them return almost immediately.

Called the dealer this morning for a status update and they said that Alfa has requested some diagnostics yesterday about the fuel system that they didn't have the tools for at this location, and were waiting for the tools to be delivered from one of their other locations to see the results. No word yet on what they have found.

Sunday I took my BMW to the jalopnik.com car show in Newark NJ (would have taken the Stelvio if I could!) and ran into a Gulia owner who told me he had seen a very similar issue on his car this spring after buying it, at nearly the same exact mileage on the odometer, also occurring the day after going through a carwash also for the first time. I don't know if this is a common error or just two fluke incidents, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen or heard of a similar issue?

Can't wait for the car to get fixed, they gave me a rental Nissan Murano from Enterprise to drive, which is beyond utterly terrible to drive by comparison (I have mostly driven the convertible so far, except today it was 40 degrees when I left the house this morning). I guess they don't have any Alfa loaners yet to give out, and they won't give a loaner Maserati to a lowly Alfa owner, they keep them exclusively for Maserati owners, something which certainly wasn't explained when I bought the car :sad

·
Registered
250 Posts
Friday afternoon after having taken the car through the car wash for the first time ever about an hour prior (I wouldn't allow the dealer to wash it on delivery until I first did my own paint protection application) I got a Service Electronic Speed Control error after the engine refused to start 3 times. Video here shows the 4th and 5th attempt to start the engine, where it actually started on the 5th try. I drove it straight to the dealer (at a very reduced engine performance, hardly able to reach 60mph on the highway) where they ran some diagnostics and cleared the codes, only to have them return almost immediately.

Called the dealer this morning for a status update and they said that Alfa has requested some diagnostics yesterday about the fuel system that they didn't have the tools for at this location, and were waiting for the tools to be delivered from one of their other locations to see the results. No word yet on what they have found.

Sunday I took my BMW to the jalopnik.com car show in Newark NJ (would have taken the Stelvio if I could!) and ran into a Gulia owner who told me he had seen a very similar issue on his car this spring after buying it, at nearly the same exact mileage on the odometer, also occurring the day after going through a carwash also for the first time. I don't know if this is a common error or just two fluke incidents, but I'm curious if anyone else has seen or heard of a similar issue?

Can't wait for the car to get fixed, they gave me a rental Nissan Murano from Enterprise to drive, which is beyond utterly terrible to drive by comparison (I have mostly driven the convertible so far, except today it was 40 degrees when I left the house this morning). I guess they don't have any Alfa loaners yet to give out, and they won't give a loaner Maserati to a lowly Alfa owner, they keep them exclusively for Maserati owners, something which certainly wasn't explained when I bought the car :sad
Sorry to hear Saildrive, which dealer did you buy from(that doesn't have tools yikes :eek:, I'm in your area and looking..and now very afraid... Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.
And the Guilia just got car of the year..go figure...

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear Saildrive, which dealer did you buy from(that doesn't have tools yikes :eek:, I'm in your area and looking..and now very afraid... Hope it gets resolved quickly for you.
And the Guilia just got car of the year..go figure...
Bought it from Miller Motor Cars / Maserati & Alfa Romeo of Westport. They had the tools, just at another location under the Miller umbrella and had to get someone to deliver it from their Stamford shop to the Westport location.

My last vehicle this replaced was a Range Rover Evoque, and while the Stelvio is hands down a nicer vehicle to drive (and I was very pleased with the Evoque), the "Range Rover Experience" of dealing with the dealership for service so far has far exceeded that of this dealership. Not that anything has been terrible, but it's clear they are not equipped to provide the same level of service and attention to detail that Land Rover of Darien was able to provide. Prime example being that they didn't have a loaner car on standby that they could give me, so Alfa is paying Enterprise rent a car $40/day to provide me a rental, which had to be picked up (and when they are done, returned) at the Enterprise location a few miles down the street, vs with the RR dealer anytime I had the car in for anything they simply verified they had a current copy of my insurance on file and handed me the keys to one of their loaner fleet, gas gauge always over half, and not even a requirement or expectation to return it with gas left (aside from not being on dead E of course). Other difference I've noticed, I had to call them for an update, where with the RR they called me with status updates on the vehicle almost to the point I wanted to ask them to dial it back a notch.

To be fair the RR dealership here probably sells 2-4 new vehicles every single day, doing nearly as much volume as the local BMW dealership, where the Maserati / Alfa dealership probably sells 2-4 a week, so some shortcomings are to be expected. Still annoying to get such an inferior and poor handling economy loaner when you are used to performance luxury vehicles. (yes I know that makes me sound a bit pompous, but I don't care).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bought it from Miller Motor Cars / Maserati & Alfa Romeo of Westport. They had the tools, just at another location under the Miller umbrella and had to get someone to deliver it from their Stamford shop to the Westport location.

My last vehicle this replaced was a Range Rover Evoque, and while the Stelvio is hands down a nicer vehicle to drive (and I was very pleased with the Evoque), the "Range Rover Experience" of dealing with the dealership for service so far has far exceeded that of this dealership. Not that anything has been terrible, but it's clear they are not equipped to provide the same level of service and attention to detail that Land Rover of Darien was able to provide. Prime example being that they didn't have a loaner car on standby that they could give me, so Alfa is paying Enterprise rent a car $40/day to provide me a rental, which had to be picked up (and when they are done, returned) at the Enterprise location a few miles down the street, vs with the RR dealer anytime I had the car in for anything they simply verified they had a current copy of my insurance on file and handed me the keys to one of their loaner fleet, gas gauge always over half, and not even a requirement or expectation to return it with gas left (aside from not being on dead E of course). Other difference I've noticed, I had to call them for an update, where with the RR they called me with status updates on the vehicle almost to the point I wanted to ask them to dial it back a notch.

To be fair the RR dealership here probably sells 2-4 new vehicles every single day, doing nearly as much volume as the local BMW dealership, where the Maserati / Alfa dealership probably sells 2-4 a week, so some shortcomings are to be expected. Still annoying to get such an inferior and poor handling economy loaner when you are used to performance luxury vehicles. (yes I know that makes me sound a bit pompous, but I don't care).
Thanks! I'm looking at a dealership under the "Miller umbrella" in NJ so not exactly in your area. Previous Audi owner although I did not buy mine there, I have heard good and bad about them(PM) and worried like you said with a low volume car dealership and a brand new model. The dealership is not close and I'm coming off a very bad car and dealership experience. And although I was also initially promised loaners with my last car, there was a severe shortage and a three week wait if I wanted one, and tons of owners with problems.... And I've tried the "rent a stinky overcleaned enterprise rental car" crap too when they could not get me a loaner..NO WAY One time and never again. And if my car is in the shop for awhile I'm paying to drive a luxury car but cruising around in a smelly KIA for weeks, no thanks. Sorry you are in this situation. Hopefully they will get it back to you quickly.

Love the Evoque, I've been obsessed with them since they were released, but never pulled the trigger, I've had family with very bad LR experiences unfortunately. Thinking of that one too although I like the Velar quite a bit too.
Love this Alfa, very impressed with the design and build quality but very hesitant to pull the trigger due to lack of Car Play and unknown issues and support for a new model, I cant go through two bad experiences back to back so I'm following closely...

Hope it fixed quickly and the rest of your ownership is trouble free! Keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'm looking at a dealership under the "Miller umbrella" in NJ so not exactly in your area. Previous Audi owner although I did not buy mine there, I have heard good and bad about them(PM) and worried like you said with a low volume car dealership and a brand new model. The dealership is not close and I'm coming off a very bad car and dealership experience. And although I was also initially promised loaners with my last car, there was a severe shortage and a three week wait if I wanted one, and tons of owners with problems.... And I've tried the "rent a stinky overcleaned enterprise rental car" crap too when they could not get me a loaner..NO WAY One time and never again. And if my car is in the shop for awhile I'm paying to drive a luxury car but cruising around in a smelly KIA for weeks, no thanks. Sorry you are in this situation. Hopefully they will get it back to you quickly.

Love the Evoque, I've been obsessed with them since they were released, but never pulled the trigger, I've had family with very bad LR experiences unfortunately. Thinking of that one too although I like the Velar quite a bit too.
Love this Alfa, very impressed with the design and build quality but very hesitant to pull the trigger due to lack of Car Play and unknown issues and support for a new model, I cant go through two bad experiences back to back so I'm following closely...

Hope it fixed quickly and the rest of your ownership is trouble free! Keep us posted.

FWIW, I'm not paying for the rental, Miller / Alfa is, I only have to pay for gas, and optionally for extra insurance (I didn't).

Also considered another Evoque or the Velar along side the Stelvio, Velar R Dynamic was comparable to the Stelvio in performance, handling and comfort, and definitely a bit more luxury oriented (and came with the better Meridian sound system), but then again at that price (nearly $82k for similar options package) you're also nearly at double the price of the base Stelvio. Overall value and performance the Stelvio easily beat out all the JLR options I analyzed.

No regrets, but eager to get my baby back and ditch this rental!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yeah, loaded Velar $$$
Stereo system is very important to me. Worried about that basic HK, not going to do for me..they need better stereo options.

I think the Stelvio interior quality is great, I even commented when I compared a Levante and Stelvio side by side in the dealership (Levante crazy loaded/cloth accents at a price of $110, Stelvio loaded TI model at a price of $52)

The Levante is obviously gorgeous, but is it $60K more gorgeous than the Stelvio? I don't think so. Agree for the price point its spot on, Id be very happy with the Stelvio..
It just needs Car Play and a bigger screen, some more tech. The design and build quality in the one I sat in was beautiful. And of course need a solution for that pesky front license plate LOL.

Hope you get your baby back soon! Curious about how the car wash is involved with the problem..let us know what they say.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your Stelvio car wash experience. At least you got a FREE rental car.

All 3 Alfa dealers where I live, told me upfront, and they do not give free service rental cars. When really pressed, one dealer told me they would check if they have a used car to give me in case of breakdown during the warranty period!

My Alfa Romeo Stelvio replaced a Land Rover Evoque Prestige. I have to admit, the Service Dept at my local Land Rover dealer was overall = ok. 1/2 the time I got a Evoque service loaner when I left my car for service or warranty repairs. (Yes, I had some) The other time I got a free rental thru Enterprise. (crappy Nissan)

I wash my Stelvio 1-2 times a week using one of those self-service car washes which feature a high pressure hose in each stall. Then, hand wash my car while I'm there. Never had a problem using the high pressure washer in each wheel-well. But, then again I haven't taken the car to a regular car wash. After reading your post, I probably never will.

Judging by the trouble code, my armchair guess thinks the TPS sensor got wet or very moist somehow. That is truly peculiar.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got an update from the dealer earlier today, They have been instructed by Alfa to replace the fuel pump?? Unfortunately I am not certain that I trust this diagnosis, and have a bad feeling something else is going to ultimately be at fault...

Either way the new fuel pump won't arrive until tomorrow or Friday, so lets hope the good weather holds out so I can keep driving the convertible and leave the rental parked in the garage for a few more days!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to call Alfa Care to ask them why the fuel pump needed replaced, and what the official policy on loaner vehicles is.

Fuel pump was to be replaced because the tech noticed the fuel pressure dropped to zero the instant the pump shut off, where normally it would (supposedly) retain residual fuel pressure for some time. Alfa Care rep didn't know what PSI a normal pump reached, but the case notes say mine was reaching 76 PSI when running, but I have no idea if that's good or bad for these pumps...

As for the official loaner policy, all dealers must have Alfa Romeo vehicles to provide as a loner, and in the event they are out of loaners, they are directed to provide a rental through Enterprise. I explained that they should have a more customer first policy which puts the Enterprise rental as a last ditch option, and favor providing a dealer loaner if there is any possible way to do so, regardless of which brand the dealer loaner is, or if the dealer has to relocate the loaner from a nearby lot.

In my case the dealer had a Maserati loaner on the lot when I brought the Stelvio in that they were not allowed to give me, since Alfa only provides for them to supply an Alfa loaner or an Enterprise rental. He recognized how this was not the ideal way to treat their customers on a luxury brand and promised he would pass the information along for review. Hopefully someone in mgmt. is listening.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Hard for me to imagine taking such a beautiful and perfect car through a car wash; it's like running it through a sand blaster! Even in winter, I try to hand wash in the driveway and wipe in the garage or in salt conditions minimum go touchless as a worst case scenario- at least until 50-60K miles. That said, the direct injection fuel pumps work under much higher pressure than older style pumps; part of the assembly is a check valve and filter to prevent pressure loss and back flow. The issue must be there but why it would be affected by external flooding is hard to imagine; maybe a coincidence rather than cause-and-effect. To my way of thinking a loaner of any sort is a nice token of convenience. Let them eat cake!

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
living in the North East, we have to deal with freezing pipes, and to avoid them we have to shut off and winterize the outdoor plumbing, so I don't have running outdoor water at my condo until spring.... The carwash I went to is the same one the dealer uses. It's a local owned non chain car wash that specializes in Porsches, Range Rovers, Ferrari's, Jaguar's, Maserati's, and now Alfa Romeo's.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Latest update on the car, Fuel pump arrived yesterday, but the tool to remove it didn't arrive until late today. Complained that I was going to be without my car & driving this terrible Nissan loaner for another weekend, and they finally offered me a loaner Stelvio but the catch being I had to drive ~10 miles to the Miller Motorcars location in Stamford (for those of you unfamiliar with New England / NYC Metro area traffic, with traffic that's a solid 1-1.5 hour round trip drive in the afternoon).

On the upside he showed me that the tool had arrived, and then gave me a tour of the shop where I got to check out Two! McLaren P1's, a Bugatti Veyron, Aston Martin Vulcan, a few Ferarri's, nearly a dozen or so Aston Martin's, at least a couple Gulia QV's, a few Bentley's, and a former 24 hour LeMons car from the 70's that was getting serviced.

Should hear the next update from them Monday, but at least I'm driving a Stelvio again in the meantime, even if it is only a close to base model trim package.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer called on Monday afternoon saying the repairs went well, they just wanted to do some more test drives to verify the problem was solved (aka the shop manager probably wanted to take it out for a spin, since I have what is probably the first Ti Sport to ever enter their service bay). Picked up the car at lunch time on Tuesday and haven't had any issues since. Drove to Newark last night to pick someone up from the airport, averaged 22.3mpg round trip (best I could get on the highway before was 16mpg), without the first consideration to driving for economy. Also noticed that around town my mpg is averaging at least 1-2, maybe 3mpg higher than it was before the pump failed.

Conclusion, while even the service manager was confused how it would have hurt the mpg's, the fuel pump was 100% of the problem, and everything is great again!

Reactions: Scalewoodman

·
Registered
253 Posts
Why is it so difficult for them to figure out whats wrong with the vehicle? I don't get it they mfg the car they should be able to fix it quickly.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Why did we resuurect a 22 month old thread for an issue before the recall???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts