Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So totally new to this forum and Alfa Romeo in general. I'm kinda in a rush as I need to make a decision... my 13yo son found this car, he is a car guy.

Decision is between a 2018 Stelvio Sport (not TI) 22k miles found for $27k
and a Mercedes GLC 300 same miles, has more features like nav/heated seats, etc. for $30,998
and found this other Stelvio TI Sport white with red interior same miles basically for $32,500. I dont think I'd pay this much when I can get a mercedes for cheaper.

I dont know much about maintenance costs, like does it take a special oil change at dealer for any of these, etc. I am cheap.

I basically like the idea of a Alfa since its unique and not many out there and it super fun to drive and I like the way its designed. I watched the above video posted here.

Thanks for any replies, like I said i'm in a rush and appreciate any advice!

Allen

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mercedes is fine, but every othr person has one. Ok not true, every 4th person has one. The rest are BMW's. Personally I would make sure the vin shows whatever Alfa you look at to have a 7C and not a 7b in the vin. There seems to be a few less complaints over the newer builds.

You can do the maintenance yourself, but there can be issues with resetting the maintenance counter. Might need a special gateway adapter and Multiecuscan. Both the merc and alfa aren't gong to be cheap to maintain at the dealer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang, it has 7B in VIN. :(

Mercedes is fine, but every othr person has one. Ok not true, every 4th person has one. The rest are BMW's. Personally I would make sure the vin shows whatever Alfa you look at to have a 7C and not a 7b in the vin. There seems to be a few less complaints over the newer builds.

You can do the maintenance yourself, but there can be issues with resetting the maintenance counter. Might need a special gateway adapter and Multiecuscan. Both the merc and alfa aren't gong to be cheap to maintain at the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think, only the late 2018 models come with 7C. So, it's very less likely you will find that series of used cars at present. Recently, I was trying to grab one of those unsold brand new 2018 ones from the dealer (still, there are a few on their lot), but lack of Android Auto pushed me into 2019 models (One other advantage is that the spark plug replacement is changed to 60k for 2019 Stelvio compared to 2018 with 30k. Keep that in mind since the one you have in your list is approaching 30k soon).
I was indeed aiming at base trims, but those sport seats in Ti Sport is well worth the upgrade. If you are buying an Alfa and want to make the best out of it, I really think those seats make the experience a lot better.
I had searched a lot to find 7C 2018 before deciding on 2019 models since those also have Android Auto. The unsold ones in dealer lots were all 7B. But, you could easily get them at more than 25% discount.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had searched a lot to find 7C 2018 before deciding on 2019 models since those also have Android Auto. The unsold ones in dealer lots were all 7B. But, you could easily get them at more than 25% discount.
Same situation as you (but carplay for me). I have noticed in the last month since I purchased my 19 that a ton of 7C's are starting to show up at various dealers around the DFW area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has the sport pkg does that mean it has the sport seats? Do you think $27k is a good deal? Other I see are like $34k.

Sport AWD – Package 22J $1,800
19–Inch x 8–Inch Sport 5–Hole Aluminum Wheels
235/55R19 All Season Tires
Colored Brake Calipers
Gloss Red Calipers with White Script
Tire Service Kit
Gloss Black Window Surround Moldings
Black Roof Rails
Aluminum Interior Trim
Bright Aluminum Pedals
Sport Leather–Wrapped Steering Wheel
Steering Column–Mounted Aluminum Paddle Shifters
Sport–Tuned Suspension
8.8–Inch AM / FM Bluetooth® Radio $500
SiriusXM® Sat Radio w/ 1–Yr Radio Subscription $350
SiriusXM® Sat Radio w/ 1–Yr Radio Subscription
For More Info, Call 800–

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'll add this....

You can buy burritos for the service department, and get a cup of Starbucks, then fill the tank....still be cheaper to service the Alfa than a Mercedes.

The short answer is the Benz will require all kinds of stuff only the dealer can access, and their rates are the highest in the industry outside of exotics (Lamborgini, Ferarri, etc..)

My sister works at a MBZ dealer, and her husband runs an auto shop..she won't get a Benz due to maintenance/repair expenses. Says something....

Call a couple MBZ dealers and independent shops..ask the service rate. Do that same for Alfa...keep in mind a good Jeep shop can service an Alfa.

If something breaks out of warrenty, just the MBZ parts might cost more than the whole job on the Alfa.

Not saying Alfa is cheap (replacing the center diff will cost a fortune probably), but literally the most expensive things on the Alfa are average price on a Benz.

Talking about the 4, not the quad...that is another story.

The price seems good on the used one. $27k almost seems too good....make sure the title is clear...no accidents.

While looking, realize a used Ti will have heated seats if that is an issue for you. It is an option on the base as well...

Look out of state too, Alfa dealers seems to be willing to work a little harder sometimes....

·
Registered
10 Posts
It has the sport pkg does that mean it has the sport seats? Do you think $27k is a good deal? Other I see are like $34k.
I doubt that. When I was talking to the sales person for the base trims, I told him to give me quotes on the ones with sport seats, and he started on Ti Sport, and stopped mentioning any lower trims. so yea, Ti Sport it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Brand new unsold ones are at least 25% discounted. These are 45k MSRP ones. So, your best bet is to get a brand new one at 32-33k. If your state has taxes on used cars, you are at a difference of about 6k between used and brand new. For brand new, you will get an extra two year warranty, first service free, and spark plug change delayed by 22k miles (compared to 8k on the used one).

Do the math :)
(As I told earlier, these don't come with sport seats in my knowledge. So, if you don't want those packages and come back to a lower MSRP, your final number would be about 30k for brand new)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same situation as you (but carplay for me). I have noticed in the last month since I purchased my 19 that a ton of 7C's are starting to show up at various dealers around the DFW area.
OMG. Yea, I just saw an almost fully loaded Ti Sport 7C for about 40k in DFW area:|

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 7B TI Sport. I bought it with 14,000 miles on it for $30k. No issues other than a rear gate close button that’s kinda sticky. I added a powered sub to it, so now the sound system is exactly where I want it. Everything else has been flawless. I absolutely love my Stelvio. If you are buying a 7B used, I wouldn’t worry about it . . . the bugs have already been worked out. Maybe the dealer would let you take it over the weekend? Just saying . . . mine has been awesome. I’d take it over an MB any day of the week (my wife owns a 2016 MB GLA250).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I recommend buying a brand new Stelvio in the exact configuration of colors and options you want! :grin
John

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This really helps, thanks. I am new to luxury brand, always owned Chevy, Ford, etc. Currently own a 2006 Chevy Silverado 4x4 so it makes me think on the maintenance cost for any luxury car. I'm cheap but am tired of doing my own work as I tend to do for everything and always have. I really like the Alfa as it seems like a sports car in a SUV package which is exactly what I want.

I'll add this....

You can buy burritos for the service department, and get a cup of Starbucks, then fill the tank....still be cheaper to service the Alfa than a Mercedes.

The short answer is the Benz will require all kinds of stuff only the dealer can access, and their rates are the highest in the industry outside of exotics (Lamborgini, Ferarri, etc..)

My sister works at a MBZ dealer, and her husband runs an auto shop..she won't get a Benz due to maintenance/repair expenses. Says something....

Call a couple MBZ dealers and independent shops..ask the service rate. Do that same for Alfa...keep in mind a good Jeep shop can service an Alfa.

If something breaks out of warrenty, just the MBZ parts might cost more than the whole job on the Alfa.

Not saying Alfa is cheap (replacing the center diff will cost a fortune probably), but literally the most expensive things on the Alfa are average price on a Benz.

Talking about the 4, not the quad...that is another story.

The price seems good on the used one. $27k almost seems too good....make sure the title is clear...no accidents.

While looking, realize a used Ti will have heated seats if that is an issue for you. It is an option on the base as well...

Look out of state too, Alfa dealers seems to be willing to work a little harder sometimes....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm you make some good points here. I'm going to look at some new ones and see what I can find. Compared to my 2006 Chevy 4x4 I will be super thrilled with anything, whether it has sports seats or not. :) But I love my Chevy don't get me wrong. Just ready for a fun car.

Brand new unsold ones are at least 25% discounted. These are 45k MSRP ones. So, your best bet is to get a brand new one at 32-33k. If your state has taxes on used cars, you are at a difference of about 6k between used and brand new. For brand new, you will get an extra two year warranty, first service free, and spark plug change delayed by 22k miles (compared to 8k on the used one).

Do the math :)
(As I told earlier, these don't come with sport seats in my knowledge. So, if you don't want those packages and come back to a lower MSRP, your final number would be about 30k for brand new)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Drpepper68,
I was in the same boat as you. I like performance vehicles. I drove a Ford F-150 out of necessity (nice vehicle, don’t get me wrong). I loved the utilitarian nature of the truck, but it certainly didn’t fulfill my desire for performance. With the Stelvio you kind of get both! I still do all my own work as well . . . Oil changes, brakes, etc. I haven’t replaced pads/rotors on this yet, but it won’t be long - just passed 20k miles with OEM pads. The oil change was a snap. As has been covered many times here before: if you’re looking for the driving experience, this car is for you. If you’re looking for seemless technology and the ultimate in comfort and luxury, this is NOT your vehicle. I would highly recommend the TI Sport package with the bolstered seats and paddle shifters. You won’t regret it. The seats are that much better.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I think im sold on getting the Stelvio. I want performance over ultimate comfort. Does this pic look like it has sport seats? It does have paddle shifters.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ok I think im sold on getting the Stelvio. I want performance over ultimate comfort. Does this pic look like it has sport seats? It does have paddle shifters.

No picture I can see but if it has the paddles it most likely has the sport seats.
My .02 - I had the sport seats in my Giulia and did not enjoy them so I went with the Lusso seats in my Stelvio and am very happy with the switch.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
10 Posts

No. If you can find "Sport Leather Seats" in the sticker, you have it. Otherwise, you don't. Another way to find that is to look for "8 way power adjustable driver/passenger seats". They include the bolster adjustment too. Anything other than Ti Sport doesn't have it from what I know. On other trims, the sport package includes paddles etc though. If you don't feel like stretching your budget, go for the base ones with these Sport AWD packages, you will be happy :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cant get pic to show up. Here is the car:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/used-cars/for-sale/vin/zasfakpn5j7b85828-2018_alfa-romeo_stelvio?zip=75058&orig-model=Stelvio&price_max=100000&both=1&page=1&year_min=2018&sort=1&range=0&model=Stelvio&price_min=0&mileage_min=0&mileage_max=150000&year_max=&make=Alfa+Romeo

No picture I can see but if it has the paddles it most likely has the sport seats.
My .02 - I had the sport seats in my Giulia and did not enjoy them so I went with the Lusso seats in my Stelvio and am very happy with the switch.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
196 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts