Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

have a few questions on Quad tires as well as MOPAR coverage. At the moment I have Pirelli P Zeros on the quad, stock tires. I have approx 7k miles on them, however had to replace one rear and one front due to punctures. I have MOPAR coverage so that was not a big hit to my wallet thank God.

At the moment, tires have circa 6/32 which seems a bit ridiculous for having driven not even 7k miles. The surprising thing is that even the rear tires (one was replaced around 4k miles) are even now... so it means the new tire got consumed like crazy.

I was looking at alternatives... so to drill down the question(s).

1) what's a good tire alternative? I read about Nitto... which exact model? any other brands that can last longer?
I don't do track days and even if I lose a bit of performance i'm ok. I also live in florida, so no snow but need to have decent wet performance for those rainy summer days!

2) if something happens to those tires (i.e. to the new non-stock, those that I will replace... likely Nitto), does MOPAR still cover those? or do they cover only original Pirelli tires?

3) is my current thread consumption normal? at what thread level are the Pzeros done?

thank you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The P Zero's get about 10K miles depending on driving style... I have 11K driving on good roads here in Florida and mine are done. The reality of a high performance tire. There are number of threads on the subject of tires. For direct replacement, some people look at Michelin Pilot Sport which is used on the Porsche Macan and is rumored to last longer. Also some all weather and Winter tire discussions.

Reactions: dwroman55

·
Registered
150 Posts
Depends on your dealer as far as the Mopar coverage goes. I had one dealer switch my Pzeros to Michelins, and then another dealer void my warranty because the other dealer didn’t put Pzeros back on originally. :mad:

And similarly, I got around 10k out of my Pzeros.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Price of doing business with these tires. I actually like the PZero's. Was able to get 12k on mine.

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on your dealer as far as the Mopar coverage goes. I had one dealer switch my Pzeros to Michelins, and then another dealer void my warranty because the other dealer didn’t put Pzeros back on originally. :mad:

And similarly, I got around 10k out of my Pzeros.
I was on the phone with them (mopar) today for 45mins! in theory, if the tires that you use follow manufacturer suggestions, then the warranty is valid. I asked what is the manufacturer suggesting, they wouldn't know. they transferred me to Alfa, they had no clue, they said to call the dealership. so I did, I actually called two, one of them said only PZeros the other said we can exchange any tire. but who knows... then the problem happens and it's not covered. HOWEVER, if it's the service department of a dealership that, due to lack of Pzeros, installs another tire, and subsequently that tire has an issue and needs to be replace, you are covered because it was THEM choosing the other tire vs the Pzero due to unavailability of Pzero. that i'm 100% sure.

at what thread level did you get new Pzeros?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I will say, I got next size up (in width) Pirelli Scorpion A/S's and they are holding up well performance-wise. Never really looked at wear on them, and we don't get much rain in So Cal. I just need something for ski season driving.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was on the phone with them (mopar) today for 45mins! in theory, if the tires that you use follow manufacturer suggestions, then the warranty is valid. I asked what is the manufacturer suggesting, they wouldn't know. they transferred me to Alfa, they had no clue, they said to call the dealership. so I did, I actually called two, one of them said only PZeros the other said we can exchange any tire. but who knows... then the problem happens and it's not covered. HOWEVER, if it's the service department of a dealership that, due to lack of Pzeros, installs another tire, and subsequently that tire has an issue and needs to be replace, you are covered because it was THEM choosing the other tire vs the Pzero due to unavailability of Pzero. that i'm 100% sure.

at what thread level did you get new Pzeros?
Haha, sounds about right. At the end I got too many headaches dealing with them and paid for the second puncture myself. Have chalked up the “warranty” to money down the drain, minus one tire.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone have gone wider on stock wheels running 275/45/20 front and 305/40/30 in the rear?
Michelin Pilot sport A/S 3+ are available in that size, and they really nice for all season tires.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I believe the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ is available in the stock front tire size 255/45 20... that’s what’s on my car...

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio QV w/ Sparco seats 💺
63 Posts
Thank you. It's a great tire. Very interested to hear about anyone running 275 / 305 combo.
Im running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 275/40R20 & 305/35R20 and have had no issues with clearance or rubbing. IMO they are a way better daily tire than the Pirellis and am hoping that they last 15-20k miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 275/40R20 & 305/35R20 and have had no issues with clearance or rubbing. IMO they are a way better daily tire than the Pirellis and am hoping that they last 15-20k miles.
after further research I was thinking to do the same. would you mind posting a couple of pics? especially on clearance.
is clearance also ok when doing a max turn? how many miles do you have on those tires?
thanks would really appreciate your help.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
after further research I was thinking to do the same. would you mind posting a couple of pics? especially on clearance.
is clearance also ok when doing a max turn? how many miles do you have on those tires?
thanks would really appreciate your help.
I should have mentioned I am on custom wheels that are 0.5 wider in both F&R (9.5/10.5). Not sure if those tires will fit the stock QV wheels. I definitely don’t Ray Rice my vehicles but I’m not very gentle either and have had zero issues putting this thing through it’s paces on the wider Michelin’s. I just put them on and have about 500 miles or so on them... besides the battery swap, IMO this is the next necessary upgrade everyone needs! Plus if you have a Costco membership they tend to run stellar deals on Michelin’s... I paid $1,385 for them and couldn’t find them cheaper than $1,500 anywhere else. Just food for thought 💭 anyways best of luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks. amazing. I have same color... but you're much better at taking pictures lol.
by the way, Pilot Sport 4S and 4 SUV are not the same thing are they? did you select the 4S over SUV for any specific reason?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
thanks. amazing. I have same color... but you're much better at taking pictures lol.
by the way, Pilot Sport 4S and 4 SUV are not the same thing are they? did you select the 4S over SUV for any specific reason?
The Vulcano black is such an underrated color. I love how it can be three separate shades of black depending on light!

If I’m not mistaken the difference between the SUV and 4S is load rating and the sidewall height options... I’m sure that the performance is marginally the same and the price difference isn’t that far apart. I just leaned to the 4S as they are marketed as the latest n greatest Michelin man is putting out lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
At the moment, tires have circa 6/32 which seems a bit ridiculous for having driven not even 7k miles. The surprising thing is that even the rear tires (one was replaced around 4k miles) are even now... so it means the new tire got consumed like crazy.
Any car with >500HP and 0-60 around 3 seconds eat tires disgracefully but that is normal. Many years ago I was living in my old contry and I bought a much less powerful Ferrari. I was done with the tires in 6000 miles. I went to the dealer and there was another guy with the same car, his max was 4000km , 2500 miles and then he had to change tires :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

have a few questions on Quad tires as well as MOPAR coverage. At the moment I have Pirelli P Zeros on the quad, stock tires. I have approx 7k miles on them, however had to replace one rear and one front due to punctures. I have MOPAR coverage so that was not a big hit to my wallet thank God.

I was looking at alternatives... so to drill down the question(s).

1) what's a good tire alternative? I read about Nitto... which exact model? any other brands that can last longer?
I don't do track days and even if I lose a bit of performance i'm ok. I also live in florida, so no snow but need to have decent wet performance for those rainy summer days!

2) if something happens to those tires (i.e. to the new non-stock, those that I will replace... likely Nitto), does MOPAR still cover those? or do they cover only original Pirelli tires?

3) is my current thread consumption normal? at what thread level are the Pzeros done?

thank you.

I have Nittos on mine...it’s in the shop at the moment but I can get the info for you Monday when I hopefully have it back

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have Nittos on mine...it’s in the shop at the moment but I can get the info for you Monday when I hopefully have it back
thanks! so far I've concluded that Nittos should last long(er) but will not be the same as Pirelli or Michelin in terms of performance. I still can't understand how Michelin can put a 30k miles warranty on the Pilot 4S...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I still can't understand how Michelin can put a 30k miles warranty on the Pilot 4S...
Sure, but that doesn’t apply to this platform, only to square setup. With staggered setup we are talking 15K miles warranty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts