Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HIt a deer on the highway with my 2020 Stelvio Quad.

Three in the vehicle. Going 70MPH on the Highway.

The vehicle and airbags completely protected us all and no one was injured. I would now recommend an alfa for safety (would not have done so for my 87 Spider or even my 4C).

We were literally wrapped in airbags.

Right now initial estimates do not total the vehicle (I am surprised to learn that).

I am also hearing if repaired - could take 9 months to a year to get all the parts.

Anyone else have any experience with a vehicle on the boarder of totaled?

Experience with car values after 40,000+ in repairs? Can it ever be sold?

Would love to learn from your experiences.

Any body want to buy a salvage title? :)

Other notes -

After accident -car systems would not allow me to turn car back on or put it in neutral for tow.

Had to use "car skates" to get on tow truck. Like furniture sliders for cars.

White powder filled the cabin at impact made visibility low for a second.

Car very stable - even with large deer going under car. Always felt in control.

Weird dents in places deer did not hit - can not figure that out.

Rear hatch will not stay shut now. Hmmm. impact was at front.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport Vesuvio Grey
171 Posts
Whoa, glad you and the others are okay. I would make a stink to my insurance company to just declare it as total loss. Waiting nearly a year for over $40k in repairs and a salvage title is not good. It will certainly be much less valuable for a trade in/sale later on.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Be sure to talk to your adjuster about the time to repair. Assuming they will be covering a rental car for you while your car is waiting for parts, it should be easy to for them to understand the cheaper option would be to total the car since 9 months of rentals will not be cheap.

And yes.... That long for parts might be realistic given current supply.

Really, glad you and everyone with you are ok.

I would guess the dents in weird places are because the frame got tweaked.. that can cause all sorts of issues with sheet metal.

The powder in the car was from the airbags, they get packed with talcum powder to absorb moisture, you don't want the bag not inflating or inflating wierd because it's sticking to itself.

·
Registered
2022 Veloce Ocra GT with Active Assist Plus
359 Posts
Apparently crash parts availability is a disaster right now. Anecdotally, my neighbor waited 7 months for parts on his MDX from a crash. The other party's insurance provided a loaner which happened to be an Equinox. Not surprisingly, 7 months in a base Equinox was not a pleasant experience for him.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
What they said - but I would guess undertray stuff (not frame/ hard parts) got pushed up against body work.
From going over a previously hit deer in a spitfire - quite a bump but basically no damage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Firstly; I am glad you all are okay. I once got in an accident with my BMW 328i during Christmas time, the adjuster looked at the car and declared it totaled. I received the check from my insurance within 20 days. Point is there is no-way there are going to keep your car for 9 months in a garage assuming the garage charges are $50/day and all have to be covered by your insurance company.

Also, you might experience battery and electronics failure if the car is not run for 9 months. Its better to talk it out with your adjuster.

·
Registered
'18 TI Lusso AWD
504 Posts
I think the other recent totals posted here were like Hameed describes, they looked kind of minor, but apparently, they opted to write it off rather than deal with the head ache of parts, timing and rentals.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sounds similar to my son's experience with his new Tesla base Model 3 he bought for $37K. Swerved to avoid a deer at night and ran up on the grassy shoulder. At first he didn't think there was much damage but he must have hit a rock or something that damaged the undercarriage. He had to have it towed to the nearest Tesla repair garage 3 towns away. There they told him the damage was about $20K but they had to put it up on the lift to determine exact amount and needed about 3 weeks due to backup. 3 weeks later my son gets a call from the garage and they inspected the car on the lift and the damage is now $40K and would take about 6 mos. to fix. The insurance co. declared the car a total and paid him off $50K. Co. paid off the Tesla finance note of about $34K and the rest was because Tesla no longer made the base model, only the more expensive loaded version, so the insurance co made up the difference. I never heard of an insurance company doing that, but hey, not going to complain. With the extra money my son decided to forego getting another Tesla and bought a used eGolf with about 18K miles for $13K.

Glad you weren't hurt. You are probably better off if they declare it a total. I doubt anyone can put a severely damaged Quad back together and it would feel and perform the same. Also can't imagine an insurance company paying for a rental car for more than a month at most. In my son's case they only paid for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
82 Posts

The vehicle and airbags completely protected us all and no one was injured. I would now recommend an alfa for safety (would not have done so for my 87 Spider or even my 4C).

Right now initial estimates do not total the vehicle (I am surprised to learn that).

I am also hearing if repaired - could take 9 months to a year to get all the parts.

Other notes -

After accident -car systems would not allow me to turn car back on or put it in neutral for tow.

Alfa Fan 4C and Spider, most important Glad To Hear All Are Safe!! Wishing You The Best In Finding A Resolution!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I will add my thanks that no injuries occurred. l suggest to all to order the tool (or make your own) from Centerline and keep it in your car to enable the transmission to go into neutral so that you can push or tow the car. Without the tool, the ZF transmission will not go into neutral unless the engine is running.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looking at Centerline's site it looks like all the tool does is push up on a lever on the side of the transmission. Is there a reason you can't just push up on the lever with your fingers? I guess maybe it's spring loaded or something? The instructions say to remove the tool before starting the vehicle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Looking at Centerline's site it looks like all the tool does is push up on a lever on the side of the transmission. Is there a reason you can't just push up on the lever with your fingers? I guess maybe it's spring loaded or something? The instructions say to remove the tool before starting the vehicle.
it's a bolt that screws into the transmission to manually adjust the lever (into Neutral). . . so you just need an appropriately sized bolt (check out other threads on this subject). The Centerline tool does the job perfectly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Practice with it one time. You can do it laying on your side from the side of the car. (Would hate to do this on the highway!) Don't screw it in too far either. It can get stuck and then is difficult to remove. There is an allen key in the bottom of the bolt if the handle comes off. Don't ask how I know all this.

·
Registered
599 Posts

Other notes -

MDX : passenger rear side impact, curtain air bags deployed, frame bent. 28k repair cost, 32k value.
BMW M3: front collision with a black chair in the middle of the highway at 1am. Damage 10k. repaired front end, bumper, radiator, power steering etc.. repaired but just wasn't the same. sold to vroom 1 year after repair.
MB GLC; multiple impact. Driver side front and rear, passenger rear. first collision was to the rear driver side, spun, hit another car then another. repair cost: more $45k, 48k value. totaled.

two of those were my wife's and bmw was mine. Left without a car then shopping was the only hassle for totaled cars. Loved my M3 convertible but after that accident, little things started to happen. check engine light, brake warning light, maintenance required light etc.. all reasonably easy to fix but it was getting irritating. All alignment components were replaced including the shocks.

Bottom line? repaired cars from major accidents rarely drive as they were before. Reported damages to the car will reduce your trade in/resale value significantly as well. Unless you are willing to keep fixing minor stuff, get rid of it. You are not going to get expected value of the car when you decide to sell it later.

·
Registered
249 Posts
you can't push it with fingers, not enough strength and it has to stay pressed to keep gearbox in neutral. but you can use some sort of wedge or even tree branch if stuck and don't have M6 bolt on you.

instructions tell to remove it before driving so car won't roll when parked with engine off. you can safely start it and drive it just bear in mind that you can't put car into park, so use handbrake or wheel chokes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
you can't push it with fingers, not enough strength and it has to stay pressed to keep gearbox in neutral. but you can use some sort of wedge or even tree branch if stuck and don't have M6 bolt on you.

instructions tell to remove it before driving so car won't roll when parked with engine off. you can safely start it and drive it just bear in mind that you can't put car into park, so use handbrake or wheel chokes.
Thanks. Went ahead and ordered the tool just in case. $10 shipping was a little ridiculous. Could have just put a M6 bolt with a ratchet in the glove box for cheaper, but then it would be all red and shiny.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts