Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed that the Stelvio Quadrifoglio 0 to 60 times were reduced from 3.9 to 3.6 sec by Alfa. I am wondering how they were able to achieve this since I think that the torque, hp and weight of the vehicle remain the same. Any ideas?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Isn't the 3.9s a 0 - 100 kmh time where the 3.6s is 0 - 60 mph (app. 96 kmh) time?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that may be true also, but since I am almost sure that I saw the numbers in the same AlfaRomeo Usa website, i just did a google search and found in a motortrend.com article the following:

"Alfa Romeo is claiming that the Stelvio Q4 will hustle to 60 mph in a super-quick 3.6 seconds. When it first announced the car Alfa had stated 3.9 seconds to 60 mph, but thanks to some software refiddling by chief engineer Andrea Zizak and his team, they managed to knock off 0.3 seconds If true, that’s quicker than a four-leaf Giulia by 0.2 second."

Probably they will refiddle the software in the Giulia too. Although since the Stelvio is all wheel drive thats an advantage.

I imagine that if the test driver is super skinny that will help too!!!.....Lol

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
the software used to take issue with left foot braking, which made brakestand starts difficult. they have loosened that up a bit, and it stands to reason that the stelvio (and giulia Q4) would do better than their 2wd counterparts the more you can bring up the revs at launch.
but if you aren't doing that, improvement won't exist, but the giulia quads ability to spin it's tires will still give the stelvio an advantage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense, I imagine its something similar to the Launch Control button in the Macan, when it is used also it will take 0.2 seconds from the 0 to 60 acceleration.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
what I haven't seen in any tests is whether the final drive ratio is the same as the giulia, or if they lowered it which would account for some of the quickness as well.
it would make sense as the top speed is aerodynamically limited (without massive power), but they might have left it the same for fuel (and production) economy.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Excellent. I would definitely go for the blue one!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
the 45 second mark is interesting - R mode so the confusing take control nannies are off, and it behaves .. properly even with the AWD.
more of a concern for me than .3 seconds

·
Registered
228 Posts
Stelvio QF 0-60 in 3.9 or 3.6 secs?

Just got my Car and Driver mag for May. Positive write up on the Stelvio QF. Broke the Nurburgring Nordschleife 12.9 mile lap record for a production SUV by 8 seconds over the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. Evidently the QF interior is also an upgrade over the base Stelvio's interior. "The QF's interior is significantly better dressed than the base Stelvio's, although that lesser model sets a fairly low bar." "A funny thing happens when you cover an interior of middling quallity in carbon fiber, leather and suede: it ends up looking and feeling pretty nice." Ouch! I agree my Stelvio TI's interior isn't as well dressed as other luxury brands and wouldn't mind if it was but other luxury brands don't drive as well either and cost much more. All things must be considered when evaluating a car for its overall value.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It’s C/D. They actually really like the Stelvio but they have it lumped in with a bunch of CUVs which are all $15k+ more in the real world. So yes the trim isn’t as nice as a $85k Macan GTS or a $75k Macan S or a $67k SQ5. But even the Ti Stelvio continuously punches outside it’s weight class. Not to mention even a basic Ti Sport is pretty loaded with features. AR even throws in the $500 turn signal pack that BMW drivers never opt for.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I really don't get the fascination with CF interior pieces - it's like getting excited about plastic or fiberglass.
the stuff has it's use's, no doubt about that, but it bugs me that I'm stuck with an updated version of bakelite. damned if I'll pay extra for that on my steering wheel, the upgrade is wood.
I'd rather have the choices of lusso leather seats too - but at least they included door panel covering choices to brighten up the drabby grey.
my apologies to anyone paying extra to get 21st century grey plastic.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts