Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Alpha owners. Quick confession here - I am not a Stelvio Quadrifoglio owner - yet. I am currently in the market for a daily driver. Coming off an 2016 Audi SQ5 and looking at all the "regular" suspects from the Germans too. But every 2nd driveway seems to have a Macan, GLC, X3 and I have admired the Stelvio since the day I saw my first one on the road. I am seduced by the power, the sound and the sheer driving enjoyment. At the same time a test-drive doesn't tell the full story. I have read about the nightmares in reliability, the spotty dealer service, the squealing brakes, etc. and I question whether this would be a heart over head type decision. So I am wondering if any of you have regrets and would go back and do it differently? This vehicle will be a daily driver. I want something at least reasonably practical and reliable that is fun to drive but won't shake out my fillings. Winters are cold where I live and the roads are brutal. Sometimes there are more holes then road. Looking at my SQ5, the ride is firm but not brutal. I have an aftermarket AWE exhaust installed which can be loud (cold starts especially) but is quite civil when I drive conservatively (i.e. whenever my kids and / or spouse are with me) but sounds very satisfying when I do not. In a "perfect" world I would probably get a practical daily driver AND a completely impractical sports car...but my garage is only so large. I am hoping for a happy compromise. The Audi has been nice...but far from exciting. So Quad owners, how do you find your Stelvio as a daily driver? Do you have any words of wisdom for a prospective new owner?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio QV
145 Posts
No regrets here.
Hi Alpha owners. Quick confession here - I am not a Stelvio Quadrifoglio owner - yet. I am currently in the market for a daily driver. Coming off an 2016 Audi SQ5 and looking at all the "regular" suspects from the Germans too. But every 2nd driveway seems to have a Macan, GLC, X3 and I have admired the Stelvio since the day I saw my first one on the road. I am seduced by the power, the sound and the sheer driving enjoyment. At the same time a test-drive doesn't tell the full story. I have read about the nightmares in reliability, the spotty dealer service, the squealing brakes, etc. and I question whether this would be a heart over head type decision. So I am wondering if any of you have regrets and would go back and do it differently? This vehicle will be a daily driver. I want something at least reasonably practical and reliable that is fun to drive but won't shake out my fillings. Winters are cold where I live and the roads are brutal. Sometimes there are more holes then road. Looking at my SQ5, the ride is firm but not brutal. I have an aftermarket AWE exhaust installed which can be loud (cold starts especially) but is quite civil when I drive conservatively (i.e. whenever my kids and / or spouse are with me) but sounds very satisfying when I do not. In a "perfect" world I would probably get a practical daily driver AND a completely impractical sports car...but my garage is only so large. I am hoping for a happy compromise. The Audi has been nice...but far from exciting. So Quad owners, how do you find your Stelvio as a daily driver? Do you have any words of wisdom for a prospective new owner?
No regrets.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had 2.0 TI sport over a year and changed to QV about 2 1/2 years ago.
I love QV but as a daily drive, I am driving Mazda CX-5 for many reasons.
Alfa has some liability issues but its pretty reliable cars overall.

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
210 Posts
No regrets here either.

While it will do fine putting around town doing errands and commuting, it's an edgy car that wants to haul ass and it seems you're always stuck behind someone when you're driving it. For the money, I would certainly also consider a 2.0 if it was to be a single car daily driver.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio QV, Misano Blue
57 Posts
No regrets. It's an amazingly fun ride, and for a DD, way more tolerable than the X4M I came from. Keep with the 20's if ride quality vs extreme handling are important. Otherwise, solid go at it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No regrets. Amazing to drive. There are idiosyncrasies with all performance cars. My Dealership service has been good to great (AR of Seattle)

I have a 2019. 34 k miles as a DD. I had a transmission “valve body” replaced in year 1. 1 week to get the part and less than a day to replace. (2 hours to convince them something was wrong—thank God it happened on their Test drive). Recent engine out service to replace a gasket. On warranty. I asked to see the leak. It was so tiny I had to pretend I saw it when they showed me.

I have to say that when I hear or feel a bump or shudder, the short hairs on my neck tingle. As with my old BMW and my old 911 (replaced by the QV). It was a great decision. I woulddo it again.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio | Alfa Romeo 4C
49 Posts
No regrets. Use the QV as my daily driver and it's absolutely perfect and faultless.

·
Registered
3 Posts
no regrets. Thirsty ass hell, but no regrets.
I cant speak for pre 21 but if you want reliability and refinement then i would get the facelift model. As far as i know all of the niggles have been addressed and ironed out in the facelift models. 20" would suit your roads better and i personally think they look better than the 21s.Practicality wise i don't think its much different to your SQ5. Stock form its not loud at all, if a little too tamed. I got my resonator delete which now sounds great but still not too loud in the cabin. Theres no fake sounds coming from the speakers and the sound deadening is doing its job, a bit too well sometimes so my window is always down. From the outside its pretty loud and especially on cold start. Pair this with a valve controller and its perfect for when you want it to loud or quiet. infotainment isn't up to German standards but its got everything you need. Be warned, you will get a lot of stares and thumbs up for driving something different which is definitely a plus for me, especially if you get it in Montreal green!

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
357 Posts
Most of the time you people only post on social media to voice their discontent with a product, seldom do they spend the time to say anything when things are going well or as expected. The reliability issues you read on the internet, while true, don't show the whole picture. I have posted a couple of threads that speak well of the dealer experience and my own car reliability and other have pitched in to agree with the reliability of the QV (also of the 4 cyl).
You're right, you cannot tell much from one test drive. For example, the exhaust in the QV starts a little loud in the mornings but not as loud as a BMW or your own SQ5 because two of the four exhaust tips are closed, thus making it much quieter than it full loudness potential. The car has incredible handling and power, if driven correctly it can also give good gas mileage (hard to accomplish though because you're always temped to step on the gas pedal).
I have no regrets and enjoy every drive in my Stelvio QV, if you're ready for something different, much more driver oriented than luxury (this is NOT a luxury vehicle), then the Stelvio QV is your vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Love new Quad and enjoy the sporty SUV drive....my golfing buddies give it thumbs up and just traded in my Porsche for this....no comparison for room, comfort and able to now carry golf clubs in the back area! Probably will not go back to a sports car.....now a senior retired with a Sporty SUV.....still enjoy the 505 HP ENGINE WITH POWER.
Only issue: I had engine light come on after 300 miles and froze in N driving mode. Dealership discovered a vapor leak and had to order sensor for engine....just had it fixed this week....it did take several weeks to get the part and service manager said first time they have seen this issue. Seems to be fixed and now able to use all 4 driving modes...I did miss the other modes for freeway driving....nothing like the power of the Quad when you can use it.....it was rather boring when I only could drive in N mode....MAC

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
My only regret was driving it too aggressively with the PZeros on at 36 degrees.........still waiting for the parts.......Besides that I absolutely adore it and intend to keep it LONG TERM as a final era ICE car at its finest.

·
Registered
22 Posts
As I am writing this, my QV is at a dealership having the radiator replaced for a small leak and I am getting the serpentine belt done while the entire front end will be taken off. Unfortunately, the leak was noticed after the warranty ended. Feces occurs. Other than this and the battery issue that some of us have experienced, I have enjoyed every moment with the Stelvio as a daily driver. I have almost 72,000 miles on my 2019

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
@rbb1991 may I say.. I am delirious with jealousy over you having over 70k in a QV. Really I'm jealous of anyone with any Stelvio with high miles..... That's proof you all have had more fun then me. 😡 I need to drive more.... And get a Quad maybe. So many happy people.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts