Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
We initially had a '19 Stelvio QV straight out of the showroom with 18 miles on the odometer. We had no issues with the car until after the dealer performed the 10k service. Subsequently, between 10k an 21k, the car was repeatedly towed back to the dealer for the CEL, stuck in N mode, start/stop function disabled, HVAC blower vents not working at all, radiator replaced because they said it was leaking, a total of 9 spark plugs replaced, 6 ignition coils, repainting due to damage caused by using a pry bar of some sort to remove the bumper to get to the radiator, etc. With that said, ultimately went to a different dealer on the CEL light recurrence and this dealer said that they inspected/drove the car over a week after clearing all stored faults. We got to 22k with no further problems and my wife got T-boned while driving solo and 4 of the 6 air bags deployed. Car was totaled but she walked away with minor aches and no hospital visits. This latter fact alone was enough to convince her that she wanted the same car. Due to Covid times, brand new Stelvio QVs are as rare as a chupacabra sighting. Luckily, we found a '18 Stelvio QV with 15k on the odometer and have had no issues to date; we just had the 20k service performed fairly recent. In addition, we procured a '17 Giulia QV with 5k miles on the odometer and have not had any issues with it. She alternates between the 2 as her daily driver (~70 miles daily) while I sit on the computer and work from home. Oh yeah, the initial dealer that we purchased and "serviced" the '19 Stelvio QV is no longer in business. We've had the X5, X3, Macan S and Macan Turbo prior to going Alfa. There really is no comparison in how driving these cars makes you feel compared to the others. The 2.9L, twin-turbo engine is truly a masterpiece.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Alpha owners. Quick confession here - I am not a Stelvio Quadrifoglio owner - yet. I am currently in the market for a daily driver. Coming off an 2016 Audi SQ5 and looking at all the "regular" suspects from the Germans too. But every 2nd driveway seems to have a Macan, GLC, X3 and I have admired the Stelvio since the day I saw my first one on the road. I am seduced by the power, the sound and the sheer driving enjoyment. At the same time a test-drive doesn't tell the full story. I have read about the nightmares in reliability, the spotty dealer service, the squealing brakes, etc. and I question whether this would be a heart over head type decision. So I am wondering if any of you have regrets and would go back and do it differently? This vehicle will be a daily driver. I want something at least reasonably practical and reliable that is fun to drive but won't shake out my fillings. Winters are cold where I live and the roads are brutal. Sometimes there are more holes then road. Looking at my SQ5, the ride is firm but not brutal. I have an aftermarket AWE exhaust installed which can be loud (cold starts especially) but is quite civil when I drive conservatively (i.e. whenever my kids and / or spouse are with me) but sounds very satisfying when I do not. In a "perfect" world I would probably get a practical daily driver AND a completely impractical sports car...but my garage is only so large. I am hoping for a happy compromise. The Audi has been nice...but far from exciting. So Quad owners, how do you find your Stelvio as a daily driver? Do you have any words of wisdom for a prospective new owner?
No Regrets only excitement and smiles every time I drive, if You are a driver there is no other car in its class and price point that compares good luck in Your choice!

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
210 Posts
I don't know what the future looks like, but it looks like electric and somewhat self driving cars with subscription services to get the heated seats and radio to work all the while uploading every drive and button you press in the car to someone's cloud server so they can sell your data.

All the mfgrs are heading in this direction including AR as the current Georgio platform is going away :(.

I decided I wanted the best driver focused ICE car available right now and now's the time to get one before they go extinct. I drove the Alfa and some of its competitors and bought the Alfa.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know what the future looks like, but it looks like electric and somewhat self driving cars with subscription services to get the heated seats and radio to work all the while uploading every drive and button you press in the car to someone's cloud server so they can sell your data.

All the mfgrs are heading in this direction including AR as the current Georgio platform is going away :(.

I decided I wanted the best driver focused ICE car available right now and now's the time to get one before they go extinct. I drove the Alfa and some of its competitors and bought the Alfa.
I agree drove Porshe Macan , MB GLC63AMG, BMWX6, and others kept going back to the Quadrifoglio nothing feels and drives like the Quadrifoglio period..

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only regret I have is not buying it sooner. :)

I've had the following cars in the last 2 years:

2018 M550i
2020 X5 M50i
2019 M2 Competition with a Stage 1 tune (ran 11.3s 1/4)
2021 M5 Competition

The closest thing that came to it as far as driving pleasure is the M2. The others are just big luxury boxes that are undoubtedly fast, but can't come close to it when it comes to putting a smile on your face or making you feel like you are driving something special.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
The only regret I have is not buying it sooner. :)

I've had the following cars in the last 2 years:

2018 M550i
2020 X5 M50i
2019 M2 Competition with a Stage 1 tune (ran 11.3s 1/4)
2021 M5 Competition

The closest thing that came to it as far as driving pleasure is the M2. The others are just big luxury boxes that are undoubtedly fast, but can't come close to it when it comes to putting a smile on your face or making you feel like you are driving something special.
BMW just doesn't drive ultimate anymore...........M2 is the only vehicle they make worth a second look and even it has grown bigger than a e46 era M car.........big powerful german muscle cars. Rarely see new ones at track days. Many former M folks are tracking new Camaros with plenty of money left over for the consumables.

Reactions: wrh3

·
Registered
3 Posts
BMW just doesn't drive ultimate anymore...........M2 is the only vehicle they make worth a second look and even it has grown bigger than a e46 era M car.........big powerful german muscle cars. Rarely see new ones at track days. Many former M folks are tracking new Camaros with plenty of money left over for the consumables.
It’s Teslas most of the time at our house but there’s room for one gas car. I replaced a GLC63 AMG with a G80 M3 manual in the spring but it only lasted 3 months. Just traded it in for a 22 Stelvio Quadrifoglio. Needed the noise.

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio TI
414 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an ICE car? 😳

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am seriously considering going from 2020 Veloce to Quadrigfolio. I think these cars will not loose their value. Given the global situation and electrical vehicles , performance ICE cars will keep and even going up their value in near future. Yesterday my friends friend, sold his GTR for the exact money he bought it 4 years ago, with 40 000km on it. So , it will be better investment than getting newer Veloce 2.0 T engine for sure. Not to mention the joy from the performance. I also think the QV will only consume about 2 litters more than Veloce at worst if driving everyday normally. My best in the last two years was 8/100 l/km and my average for 28 000km is 13.2 / 100 l/km . It is around 13-15 in the city usually . I didn't bought it to save fuel , will not try to do it with QV also. :) Not to mention that the QV has real oil dipstick. Without dipstick I have constant doubts about the real oil level with the Veloce, although it does not consume oil between changes after the first two changes- around 200ml.

·
Registered
10 Posts
recent QV owner and it's been very good so far, not sure what a Veloce drives like since it's my first Alfa but it's excellent. I can't speak to the resale value of a Stelvio in Bulgari (assumption from your flag) but in Canada, I highly doubt ill get what i paid for it due to the 15k of taxes I had to pay. I did get to save approx. 2k of luxury tax we are getting in September.
Many have sold vehicles for as much as they paid for them pre-pandemic since they bought cars at cost or even below cost then. At full pop pricing Im not sure new car owners will see such returns, but that's just my assumption.
I also don't know about V6 engines in general, I do know high-performance V8s are in high demand though.

however, even if you end up losing a small amount on the QV it will still be worth the experience of owning one I'm sure. If you don't lose much or who knows possibly even end up making more off it then it's just a huge bonus.

·
Registered
327 Posts
recent QV owner and it's been very good so far, not sure what a Veloce drives like since it's my first Alfa but it's excellent. I can't speak to the resale value of a Stelvio in Bulgari (assumption from your flag) but in Canada, I highly doubt ill get what i paid for it due to the 15k of taxes I had to pay. I did get to save approx. 2k of luxury tax we are getting in September.
Many have sold vehicles for as much as they paid for them pre-pandemic since they bought cars at cost or even below cost then. At full pop pricing Im not sure new car owners will see such returns, but that's just my assumption.
I also don't know about V6 engines in general, I do know high-performance V8s are in high demand though.

however, even if you end up losing a small amount on the QV it will still be worth the experience of owning one I'm sure. If you don't lose much or who knows possibly even end up making more off it then it's just a huge bonus.
Yeah man, I agree. I wanted to say that any performance car will keep value with as minimal loss as possible. The GTR was just an example.The Veloce drives excellent and I love it. I just miss another 230hp more and just a little more sound from the exhaust. :) In that regard if somebody tested both, is driving iin N or A mode with QV comfortable/not noise enough for cruising at highway on longer distances often ? Last question for whom tested both, how's the ride comfort on soft/comfort settings compared to 280hp car , equipped also with active suspension ? My car is with standard suspension and 20 wheels, but I know the difference with active. Suppose , the active suspension is the same on QV and 280hp ??? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
‘22 Stelvio QV
210 Posts
N mode is very quiet. I have 20s and I mostly drive it in D w soft setting for driving around town and rough sections of road are just fine. It feels like the soft setting in D = N to me. I haven’t even tried A yet:) Even going to D in auto mode it’s not too crazy because it upshifts rather low in the rev range. The big step change in personality comes when you go into manual mode in D and let it wind out. It barks and spits and turns into an animal.

·
Registered
Montecarlo Blue
2 Posts
A previous owner of a 2016 4C spider I was somewhat skeptical...not anymore. The first time I was in Race mode coming off a ramp onto the highway in third (manual) redlined and switched into 4th. the bark was the same or better than the 4C going a lot faster. The engine is unreal as far as power and sound. This will ignite your for fire for sure. The 4C is still a more of a race car without question,, but the QV is an SUV that will continue to put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts