Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
"Shitty rubber"
Uhh, although there may be superior tires out there, and pirelli makes tires that are superior for track, winter, and all season, trying to put on a cold weather show on ultra high performance summer tires ... well the results aren't the tires fault.
I read most every test on the sq, including all the UK track/lap record tests, and I dont recall anyone saying the tires were subpar. A few articles did allude to corsas being faster on the track - of course they are far worse in cold weather.
You are an experienced driver, with a fair amount of tire knowledge - not saying anyone can't be caught off guard but I think deciding to put on an early version of ice capades was the issue.
The slow delivery of wrong parts is an entirely different issue, but I guess they use supply chain etc excuses for their errors.
I won't hijack the thread but Pzeros get greasey really fast... Far faster than a Conti ECS, Michelin PS$, even a lowly Falken FK510 blew it away. So in my moderate experience I see very little strength in anything the tire does, hot or cold. I'd love to see a Quad tested with a Continental or Michelin or new Bridgestone...... after the debacle last spring, I went out of my way to explore the Falkens and ECS this fall......maybe testers don't like to say subpar, but I suspect superior would be a result of those other tires. Tire Rack says it like it is...they are typically one of the lowest rated Max tires. I have taken my lumps and learned a life lesson. #1 Don't EVER buy another Pzero and #2 everything else is fine down to ~35......but don't f with'm at low temps because there is no reserve performance left. I'd have to say that about the pzero below 50. That would be a comparable temp to compare at. BTW my experience with Corsas is they are awesome when new and fresh, but tend to heat cycle out pretty quick like old Yoko A032r and to a lesser extent, A048's. Toyo R888s will outlast cycle a Corsa readily. When a Corsa is done..its done!

Back on topic. I, too, have experienced wicked slow respoinse times from Alfa. The gent I spoke to is head of ALL parts depts foir All of Valenti Motors....MANY brands. He was emphatic that Maserati is in a different league from Alfa....nothing to do with promoting sales. Highly organized and excellent folks to communicate with. Just like their Neptune motors, they have kept themselves pretty well isolated from the rest of Stellantis/FCA. Remember for years they have been most closely aligned with Ferrari. The only part I needed was a failed suspension sensor on my GTS. Ordered it and had it overnight...from Italy!! was ~$315 so not even outrageous price.

Reactions: Anunnaki

·
Registered
399 Posts
Pirellis are the best all season tires out there especially the snow. But then again, I read reviews and some of the reviewers are just ........
I don't think so. Pirelli were never been among the best all season tyres. Look at tyrereviews.com and you will see for yourself. At least if I am not mistaken what exactly do you guys call"all season" tyres in the USA ??? The best for me are Michelin Crossclimate 2, Continental All Season Contact and Goodyear Vector All Season Gen 3 which I use already for third season instead of winter tyres in the winter.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I won't hijack the thread but Pzeros get greasey really fast... Far faster than a Conti ECS, Michelin PS$, even a lowly Falken FK510 blew it away. So in my moderate experience I see very little strength in anything the tire does, hot or cold. I'd love to see a Quad tested with a Continental or Michelin or new Bridgestone...... after the debacle last spring, I went out of my way to explore the Falkens and ECS this fall......maybe testers don't like to say subpar, but I suspect superior would be a result of those other tires. Tire Rack says it like it is...they are typically one of the lowest rated Max tires. I have taken my lumps and learned a life lesson. #1 Don't EVER buy another Pzero and #2 everything else is fine down to ~35......but don't f with'm at low temps because there is no reserve performance left. I'd have to say that about the pzero below 50. That would be a comparable temp to compare at. BTW my experience with Corsas is they are awesome when new and fresh, but tend to heat cycle out pretty quick like old Yoko A032r and to a lesser extent, A048's. Toyo R888s will outlast cycle a Corsa readily. When a Corsa is done..its done!

Back on topic. I, too, have experienced wicked slow respoinse times from Alfa. The gent I spoke to is head of ALL parts depts foir All of Valenti Motors....MANY brands. He was emphatic that Maserati is in a different league from Alfa....nothing to do with prompting sales. Highly organized and excellnt folks to communicate with. Just like their Neptune motors, they have kept themselves pretty well isolated from the rest of Stellantis/FCA. Remember for years they have been most closely aligned with Ferrari. The only part I needed was a failed suspension sensor on my GTS. ordered it and had it overnight...from Italy!! was ~$315 so not even outrageous price.
Yeah man. I never liked Pirellis either, winter or summer. I gravitate mostly at Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone or Continental at least.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I always like Pirellis, with Conti being my 2nd choice. Not a Michelin fan - but tires are like 0-60 times and as soon as one manufacturer improves theirs, the others give chase so "best" is constantly changing, and then there is best at what.
No shortage of people out there driving on truly inferior tires, worn out, not season specific etc etc and for the most part they manage to stay within the tires limits and not put their lesser cars in a the ditch. This was over exuberance on the operators part, in a poorly chosen location in temperatures outside of the known design parameters for the tire.
I expect you will have a grecale soon (really nice car!) but be sure to have the oem tires replaced with ones of your choosing before delivery.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I always like Pirellis, with Conti being my 2nd choice. Not a Michelin fan - but tires are like 0-60 times and as soon as one manufacturer improves theirs, the others give chase so "best" is constantly changing, and then there is best at what.
No shortage of people out there driving on truly inferior tires, worn out, not season specific etc etc and for the most part they manage to stay within the tires limits and not put their lesser cars in a the ditch. This was over exuberance on the operators part, in a poorly chosen location in temperatures outside of the known design parameters for the tire.
I expect you will have a grecale soon (really nice car!) but be sure to have the oem tires replaced with ones of your choosing before delivery.
Actually no. Not what I want. I would like my Quad back......btw the Michelin X-Ice 3'sare already on the car from when they took the stocks off and repaired the scratched rims. PZeros were discarded like the rubbish they are.. BTW, Pirelli Scorpion winter were minimally better than the Conti LX Sports that came on my 2018 TiS. I would take those Conti over Pzeros any day of the week. We all know why Alfa is in bed with Pirelli......

·
Registered
158 Posts
Actually no. Not what I want. I would like my Quad back......btw the Michelin X-Ice 3'sare already on the car from when theu took the stocks off and repaired the scratched rims. PZeros were discarded like the rubbish they are.. BTW, Pirelli Scorpion winter were minimally better than the Conti LX Sports that came on my 2018 TiS. I would take those conti over Pzeros any day of the week. We all know why Alfa is in bed with Pirelli......
Well I hope the Pirelli Scorpions aren't bad winter tires. Have a new set waiting to go on my new wheels when they show up. Anyway, are you still waiting on a windshield? If so I'd have the dealership pay safelite. Thats ridiculous to have to wait that long. Good luck

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Needs windshield then a trip to dealer to clear all the codes and get the auto start issue straightened out from last winter.....first major repair I have ever had to deal with...couldn't have picked a worse time! Wait much longer and I'm gonna say f it and put snows on my 11 EvoraS.....problem is I may like it, then its goodbye Alfa....they have till the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.......I blew up at the repair shop last week only to find the REAL culprit is the idiots in Turin......my patience is wearing thin. When i leave a brand I don't come back.

The PSW's were a great 3.5 season tire. They are not a true snow for the nasty stuff like black ice, and the wet slushy stuff that challengeds everyrthing when its wet hardpack underneath. The Michelin X Ice are the next best thing I've tried next to the bridgestone Blizzak DMV2's. Nokians are great but not availat Tire Rack or Discount so never tried them

61 - 69 of 69 Posts