Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Stelvio Quadrifoglio Owners...any Buyer's Regret?

24K views 102 replies 42 participants last post by  Anglopom 
#1 ·
Hi Alpha owners. Quick confession here - I am not a Stelvio Quadrifoglio owner - yet. I am currently in the market for a daily driver. Coming off an 2016 Audi SQ5 and looking at all the "regular" suspects from the Germans too. But every 2nd driveway seems to have a Macan, GLC, X3 and I have admired the Stelvio since the day I saw my first one on the road. I am seduced by the power, the sound and the sheer driving enjoyment. At the same time a test-drive doesn't tell the full story. I have read about the nightmares in reliability, the spotty dealer service, the squealing brakes, etc. and I question whether this would be a heart over head type decision. So I am wondering if any of you have regrets and would go back and do it differently? This vehicle will be a daily driver. I want something at least reasonably practical and reliable that is fun to drive but won't shake out my fillings. Winters are cold where I live and the roads are brutal. Sometimes there are more holes then road. Looking at my SQ5, the ride is firm but not brutal. I have an aftermarket AWE exhaust installed which can be loud (cold starts especially) but is quite civil when I drive conservatively (i.e. whenever my kids and / or spouse are with me) but sounds very satisfying when I do not. In a "perfect" world I would probably get a practical daily driver AND a completely impractical sports car...but my garage is only so large. I am hoping for a happy compromise. The Audi has been nice...but far from exciting. So Quad owners, how do you find your Stelvio as a daily driver? Do you have any words of wisdom for a prospective new owner?

See less See more
#33 ·
recent QV owner and it's been very good so far, not sure what a Veloce drives like since it's my first Alfa but it's excellent. I can't speak to the resale value of a Stelvio in Bulgari (assumption from your flag) but in Canada, I highly doubt ill get what i paid for it due to the 15k of taxes I had to pay. I did get to save approx. 2k of luxury tax we are getting in September.
Many have sold vehicles for as much as they paid for them pre-pandemic since they bought cars at cost or even below cost then. At full pop pricing Im not sure new car owners will see such returns, but that's just my assumption.
I also don't know about V6 engines in general, I do know high-performance V8s are in high demand though.

however, even if you end up losing a small amount on the QV it will still be worth the experience of owning one I'm sure. If you don't lose much or who knows possibly even end up making more off it then it's just a huge bonus.

#34 ·
recent QV owner and it's been very good so far, not sure what a Veloce drives like since it's my first Alfa but it's excellent. I can't speak to the resale value of a Stelvio in Bulgari (assumption from your flag) but in Canada, I highly doubt ill get what i paid for it due to the 15k of taxes I had to pay. I did get to save approx. 2k of luxury tax we are getting in September.
Many have sold vehicles for as much as they paid for them pre-pandemic since they bought cars at cost or even below cost then. At full pop pricing Im not sure new car owners will see such returns, but that's just my assumption.
I also don't know about V6 engines in general, I do know high-performance V8s are in high demand though.

however, even if you end up losing a small amount on the QV it will still be worth the experience of owning one I'm sure. If you don't lose much or who knows possibly even end up making more off it then it's just a huge bonus.
Yeah man, I agree. I wanted to say that any performance car will keep value with as minimal loss as possible. The GTR was just an example.The Veloce drives excellent and I love it. I just miss another 230hp more and just a little more sound from the exhaust. :) In that regard if somebody tested both, is driving iin N or A mode with QV comfortable/not noise enough for cruising at highway on longer distances often ? Last question for whom tested both, how's the ride comfort on soft/comfort settings compared to 280hp car , equipped also with active suspension ? My car is with standard suspension and 20 wheels, but I know the difference with active. Suppose , the active suspension is the same on QV and 280hp ??? Thanks in advance.

#35 ·
N mode is very quiet. I have 20s and I mostly drive it in D w soft setting for driving around town and rough sections of road are just fine. It feels like the soft setting in D = N to me. I haven’t even tried A yet:) Even going to D in auto mode it’s not too crazy because it upshifts rather low in the rev range. The big step change in personality comes when you go into manual mode in D and let it wind out. It barks and spits and turns into an animal.

#36 ·
A previous owner of a 2016 4C spider I was somewhat skeptical...not anymore. The first time I was in Race mode coming off a ramp onto the highway in third (manual) redlined and switched into 4th. the bark was the same or better than the 4C going a lot faster. The engine is unreal as far as power and sound. This will ignite your for fire for sure. The 4C is still a more of a race car without question,, but the QV is an SUV that will continue to put a smile on your face every time you drive it.

#37 ·
I bought my first Alfa Romeo in my life in 2018 (Stelvio Quadrifoglio). I had several issues with the car in the beginning all of which were resolved under warranty (mostly electronic gremlins)… After more than 4.5 years I can say it's the best running car I've ever owned (coming from Volvo and Mercedes). I treat the car like a close family member that sometimes annoys you a lot, but in the end you still love him/her.. it's also the best medicine for a midlife crisis... by pressing the red start button you feel within a few minutes 30 years younger... :cool:

#38 ·
I reqret putting the fake clover on my car, people think I'm a poser, but I need it for a couple of months before I can swap mine out. I'm not sure how I'll hide the change in wood trim to CF, but once she's used to the white sticker, I'll sort that out. the dark wheels and window trim will be much easier to explain away, but the seats and dash and trim will require some good gaslighting.

#39 · (Edited)
Good luck with parts inventories. The goons in Italy are mixing up parts numbers for Fiats and Alfas. I can't make this **** up. After 6.5 clusterfuck filled months waiting get my car back with multiple parts screw ups, delays etc the final piece...windshield replacement went poorly...why you ask??? because some fn idiot in Turin is putting Alfa parts # stickers on Fiats....Fiat windshields don't fit Stelvios very well. So now the shop has a worst case scenario, a fully prepped for delivery vehicle with no windshield........gettin close to saying F Alfa and folks here know I love them. BTW, Maserati does NOT have this issue........nor are Grecales being built on the same assembly line. The head of parts at all of my dealerships stores is beside himself because Alfa has itself so sheltered from reality you can't climb the corporate ladder for resolution. I found a Stelantis form for Alfa I will light up tonight. Alfa has a week or the love affair is over.

• Sad
Reactions: pocholin
#41 ·
Good luck with parts inventories. The goons in Italy are mixing up parts numbers for Fiats and Alfas. I can't make this **** up. After 6.5 clusterfuck filled months waiting get my car back with multiple parts screw ups, delays etc the final piece...windshield replacement went poorly...why you ask??? because some fn idiot in Turin is putting Alfa parts # stickers on Fiats....Fiat windshields don't fit Stelvios very well. So now the shop has a worst case scenario, a fully prepped for delivery vehicle with no windshield........gettin close to saying F Alfa and folks here know I love them. BTW, Maserati does NOT have this issue........nor are Grecales being built on the same assembly line. The head of parts at all of my dealerships stores is beside himself because Alfa has itself so sheltered from reality you can't climb the corporate ladder for resolution. I found a Stelantis form for Alfa I will light up tonight. Alfa has a week or the love affair is over.
Might have them call safeliite. Had my wife’s Stelvio windshield replaced next day with Alfa windshield. Definitely worth a call

#40 ·
Flustercluck, for the sensitive reader.
I bet a grecale windshield would fit .... and considering its based on the stelvio, I'm surprised that a screw up like that is with fiat parts when much of the grecale is stelvio.
My only guess is the parts shipping depot is not at the manufacturing facility, and handles multiple stelantis brands, maybe maser too.
In any event that just plain sucks. It has been a long time, and you didn't get much drive time to start with.
Uh oh, factory hack is creating another quadrifauxlio. A lot of it i get, but replacing wood with reinforced plastic, and dumping those nice lusso seats ... I would have ordered that for my quad if it was available.

#42 ·
I did and they do. Challenge is, windshield removed by 1 guy,,,,replace by another, insurance, etc But, after a 10 minute call with the parts manager, I was dumbfounded at the stupidity in Turin!! His comments on Maserati being blatantly superior to deal with was an eye opener. I leave for opening day tomorrow, so they have till Monday to sort things out. If it throws the Xmas tree at me when I get it back, I will know it's cursed

#57 · (Edited)
Thanks dad. Indeed a judgement error compounded by the shitty rubber to begin with. I spent quite a bit of time this fall with ECS and Falkens in cooler conditions and VASTLY superior performance was still available. I believe the quoted term at Tire Rack about pZeros is "GROSSLY archaic design"..............of course, that was just his judgement. I suppose after 40uyrs, the law of averages caught up with me.

I'd say the supply chain caused 4months of my delays and the repair shop the other 2 months....the number of incorrectly labeled parts has been o_O

it seems Alfa communication is still via Pony express.

#54 ·
@Anunnaki Hey, the whole ordeal was outlined in a previous post of mine a few months ago. In short, at around 4,500 miles I got a P2C33, P2C34 CEL (crank case pressure sensor low voltage). Initially the dealership said they just had to change the crank case pressure sensor. When they went to search for it...it wasn't there. Apparently it's position within the engine was changed in mid 2021 but Alfa had not updated their shop manuals. It took 3 weeks for Alfa to respond to my dealership letting them know where the sensor was. When they changed it, the CEL was still present. Another 3 weeks went by until Alfa responded again and told them to change the BCM. This also didn't solve the problem. Another 3 weeks (yes, seriously) went by until Alfa asked the dealership to check the voltage at 3 wires leading into the pressure sensor (which were reportedly blue, black and red wires). Well, my car had different color wires. Another 3 weeks (yes, I am being serious) passed until Alfa got back to them requesting to do various things here and there, I don't know. In total the car was in service for 126 days while I drove 4 brand new Alfa's as loaners (2 giulias and 2 stelvios). I should also note the entire time the car had this CEL the car drove perfectly (with the D and R modes disabled due to the CEL). Anyway, I finally get the car back, I'm driving it for about 3 days......and the CEL comes back. Ultimately Alfa bought the car back. The problem was a miscommunication between Alfa and the dealership. The time that it took Alfa to respond to our mechanics over here was utterly absurd. AlfaCares was there every step of the way and did absolutely, utterly nothing at all to help me. Zero. But I loved the car so much I got a new one!!!!!!

#58 ·
"Shitty rubber"
Uhh, although there may be superior tires out there, and pirelli makes tires that are superior for track, winter, and all season, trying to put on a cold weather show on ultra high performance summer tires ... well the results aren't the tires fault.
I read most every test on the sq, including all the UK track/lap record tests, and I dont recall anyone saying the tires were subpar. A few articles did allude to corsas being faster on the track - of course they are far worse in cold weather.
You are an experienced driver, with a fair amount of tire knowledge - not saying anyone can't be caught off guard but I think deciding to put on an early version of ice capades was the issue.
The slow delivery of wrong parts is an entirely different issue, but I guess they use supply chain etc excuses for their errors.

#62 · (Edited)
"Shitty rubber"
Uhh, although there may be superior tires out there, and pirelli makes tires that are superior for track, winter, and all season, trying to put on a cold weather show on ultra high performance summer tires ... well the results aren't the tires fault.
I read most every test on the sq, including all the UK track/lap record tests, and I dont recall anyone saying the tires were subpar. A few articles did allude to corsas being faster on the track - of course they are far worse in cold weather.
You are an experienced driver, with a fair amount of tire knowledge - not saying anyone can't be caught off guard but I think deciding to put on an early version of ice capades was the issue.
The slow delivery of wrong parts is an entirely different issue, but I guess they use supply chain etc excuses for their errors.
I won't hijack the thread but Pzeros get greasey really fast... Far faster than a Conti ECS, Michelin PS$, even a lowly Falken FK510 blew it away. So in my moderate experience I see very little strength in anything the tire does, hot or cold. I'd love to see a Quad tested with a Continental or Michelin or new Bridgestone...... after the debacle last spring, I went out of my way to explore the Falkens and ECS this fall......maybe testers don't like to say subpar, but I suspect superior would be a result of those other tires. Tire Rack says it like it is...they are typically one of the lowest rated Max tires. I have taken my lumps and learned a life lesson. #1 Don't EVER buy another Pzero and #2 everything else is fine down to ~35......but don't f with'm at low temps because there is no reserve performance left. I'd have to say that about the pzero below 50. That would be a comparable temp to compare at. BTW my experience with Corsas is they are awesome when new and fresh, but tend to heat cycle out pretty quick like old Yoko A032r and to a lesser extent, A048's. Toyo R888s will outlast cycle a Corsa readily. When a Corsa is done..its done!

Back on topic. I, too, have experienced wicked slow respoinse times from Alfa. The gent I spoke to is head of ALL parts depts foir All of Valenti Motors....MANY brands. He was emphatic that Maserati is in a different league from Alfa....nothing to do with promoting sales. Highly organized and excellent folks to communicate with. Just like their Neptune motors, they have kept themselves pretty well isolated from the rest of Stellantis/FCA. Remember for years they have been most closely aligned with Ferrari. The only part I needed was a failed suspension sensor on my GTS. Ordered it and had it overnight...from Italy!! was ~$315 so not even outrageous price.

Reactions: Anunnaki
#63 ·
I don't think so. Pirelli were never been among the best all season tyres. Look at tyrereviews.com and you will see for yourself. At least if I am not mistaken what exactly do you guys call"all season" tyres in the USA ??? The best for me are Michelin Crossclimate 2, Continental All Season Contact and Goodyear Vector All Season Gen 3 which I use already for third season instead of winter tyres in the winter.

#65 ·
I always like Pirellis, with Conti being my 2nd choice. Not a Michelin fan - but tires are like 0-60 times and as soon as one manufacturer improves theirs, the others give chase so "best" is constantly changing, and then there is best at what.
No shortage of people out there driving on truly inferior tires, worn out, not season specific etc etc and for the most part they manage to stay within the tires limits and not put their lesser cars in a the ditch. This was over exuberance on the operators part, in a poorly chosen location in temperatures outside of the known design parameters for the tire.
I expect you will have a grecale soon (really nice car!) but be sure to have the oem tires replaced with ones of your choosing before delivery.

#67 · (Edited)
Actually no. Not what I want. I would like my Quad back......btw the Michelin X-Ice 3'sare already on the car from when they took the stocks off and repaired the scratched rims. PZeros were discarded like the rubbish they are.. BTW, Pirelli Scorpion winter were minimally better than the Conti LX Sports that came on my 2018 TiS. I would take those Conti over Pzeros any day of the week. We all know why Alfa is in bed with Pirelli......

#69 · (Edited)
Needs windshield then a trip to dealer to clear all the codes and get the auto start issue straightened out from last winter.....first major repair I have ever had to deal with...couldn't have picked a worse time! Wait much longer and I'm gonna say f it and put snows on my 11 EvoraS.....problem is I may like it, then its goodbye Alfa....they have till the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.......I blew up at the repair shop last week only to find the REAL culprit is the idiots in Turin......my patience is wearing thin. When i leave a brand I don't come back.

The PSW's were a great 3.5 season tire. They are not a true snow for the nasty stuff like black ice, and the wet slushy stuff that challengeds everyrthing when its wet hardpack underneath. The Michelin X Ice are the next best thing I've tried next to the bridgestone Blizzak DMV2's. Nokians are great but not availat Tire Rack or Discount so never tried them