Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all.

I would like to know real life reviews and mileage average of your rear set of tires on your Stelvio Quadrifoglio?

Tire
Brand?
Model?
Mileage average?
Would buy again same tire?
If not what are you considering to exchange?

Thank you for answering.

I myself
- Pirelli, PZero AR, 29000km, not sure yet (getting opinions), Continental SportContact 6.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Our stock Pirelli tires only got 9000 miles in just over a year's time.. The fronts were toast. We replaced them with another set of Pirelli tires only because the cost was one of the lower priced tires for a full set. If this keeps up, well, to us it's an expensive yearly "maintenance" cost.

Subscribing to this in hopes to learn more about other tire alternatives.

Reactions: Rockit and Flunx

·
Registered
142 Posts
Michelin is about to release a high performance SUV tire.

Think the rears are already out.

Ian

Reactions: Flunx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Flyjets. Hope you are right on Michelin coming out with a set of tires to fit our Stelvios. I just traded my Guilia Quad for the Stelvio and just learned we are very limited on tire choice. Not much diff than with Guilia but at least we had an option going with a Pilot super.

·
Registered
21 Posts
any others quad owners???
11,600 miles and my original (factory) Pirellis still have plenty of tread left before they even reach the wear bars. I'm guessing I'll easily get 15k-20K out of them at this rate. A few things go keep in mind:
1) there aren't many brands offering tires in our sizes yet so your sample size/options will be pretty limited

2) there aren't many quad owners out there period, and even fewer have racked up enough miles to have experimented with other brands of tires yet (also note #1 above...there aren't many options to experiment with)

3) mileage that we get from a set of tires will vary dramatically based on where a person lives and where they drive. I've seen this over the years and am surprised people don't discuss it more. I live in a metropolitan area where its mostly freeway driving with heavy traffic congestion and police everywhere so I'm not able to push the car much/frequently and as a result, my tires are lasting forever. If I lived in the country with an abundance of winding roads and no traffic, I'd already be on my 3rd set of tires. ;)

If you haven't already done so, check out tirerack.com's user review section on the various tires you're evaluating. The users/reviewers list the type of car they have so with a little research you should be able to tell which performance tires that people with larger cars and SUV's generally prefer.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio QV
10 Posts
Recently replaced full set at 20,429 mi. Original Pirelli PZero "AR" badged (2018 Stelvio Quad); replaced with Pirelli P Zero PZ4 "AR" badged. Probably should have been replaced closer to the 19,000 mi mark, but I guess for my driving conditions 20k would be the expectation. Researched some of the other brands but nothing stood out compelling enough to switch from factory tires. Best performance rated was the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S series but the difference seemed slight so never researched available sizes. I recall Continentals being rated very high in a performance test (on a track in Texas) but was not matched directly against the Pirellis for comparison. I have a friend who has a BMW X5m that came with Pirelli PZeros. He has had good luck running Lexani LX-Thirty tires as a replacement to the Pirellis at a discount. (BTW, when he went to a BMW M-days event, all the vehicles ran Michelin Pilot Sport series tires which I believe is BMW's preferred performance tire now).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Stock Pirelli’s, 12 months, 12K Miles, Reasonably should make 20K. I’m with Fly-Jets. Michelin’s are the only tire for a performance car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
WTF? How are you guys getting such great mileage with the Pirelli's on the Quads???

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm curious too. I got 12K on mine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
We don't hammer it all the time. I mostly drive it in A or N 11,300 miles and plenty of tread to go.
Seriously wait for the Michelin

·
Registered
252 Posts
Only D for me. Easy on the corners. Accelerate from stops aggressively. Live in Scottsdale so the temperature rarely gets below 60F in the day time so there is never any tire spin? If the tires are wearing evenly, I will never have them balanced thinking why screw with something that seems to be working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have like new pirelli stock tires for Stelvio QV (Only 500 miles on them...were replaced with all seasons within first month of purchase) for sale....please call/text on 240-779-5011 if interested in purchasing...pictures available on request

·
Registered
167 Posts
My Pirellis lasted 10k miles. I like to take my Stelvio on Canyon runs from time to time so.. no surprise there.

Switching to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Realize PZeros are typically one of the lowest rated Max Performance tires made for years now. Old technology. My tire advisor tells me several of the new UHP tires will handily outperform the Pirellis. Falken Azenis FK510's would be at the top of my list. The advantage here would be traction still exists at 40 degrees, about the temp where the P Zeros become pretty useless.

I have experienced too many Michelins through the years that were fabulous tires for the first half of their life. The second half resulted in couldn't wait to get them off tendencies. For the premiums they charge, they should excel to the wear bars. They are excellent tires, just not a superior as they think they are.They set the tire up to excel in testing WHEN new, IMHO at the expense of the rest of their life.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My My20 qv came with pzero PZ4. Are earlier model years on the same or are they on the old Pzero? Old pzero was indeed widely despised. Pz4 is considered a very decent performance tyre. It beat PS4 in evo tyre tests couple of years ago but it was beaten by PS4S this year (not online yet).
If you are set on Michelin there are stock sizes in PS4S for fronts and PS4 for rears. They are close enough subjectively to have a mixed set - tyre reviews guy did the comparison on YouTube also with cup2. If you go mixed you will get better steering feel and bite with the fronts and a little more wet and cold consistency and less road noise with the rears. Michelin are known to deal with colder weather better than most in summer tyres.
However, the nring record wOuld have been set on stock Pirelli’s and that was only 20sec behind much lighter Giulia wearing stock Corsas which is basically a racing tyre. At least half of that time was better weight and lower centre of gravity so the tyre is not too far behind its hardcore sibling - less than 10sec out of 7.5min. You have to ask yourself - are they really that bad?. Besides this was one of the Alfa’s halo cars when it was developed and they knew that tyre choice is very important. Did you see how fussy they were with homologation to keep load ratings on lower end. The Michelin’s you will pick up will have higher load ratings so stiffer sidewall and they may end up ruining the ride though as a make they are considered very pliant for a given size.
One more thing to keep in mind - most road tests are done on much smaller tyre sizes with softer side walls and smaller contact patch. They may not be comparable in larger sizes when it comes to subjective handling. So unless you see another QV owner who tells you yes I went with X and it was much better than stock, you are running a bit of a guessing game.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting point that the stiffer side walled PZ4s could have been optimised for that track time. My personal view is that more people want a choice I always would settle for slightly less road noise a bit better life and a less broken road ride even if that comes at the cost of ultimate lap time whilst not losing feel / progression. Others may want the optimum track time tyre. I am surprised that more people on here haven't tried the alternatives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did I say stiffer? I meant to say PZ4 are softer in homologated version - lower load rating than other tyres this size would tend to give softer side wall. Whilst nring was one of their top development targets the philosophy that they had with giulia about not forgetting the comfort is still evident here. I have horrid concrete base road with massive potholes in my neighbourhood and this car rides it better than my previous xc90 on air, or my i3. Admittedly neither is a class leader but they are comfort focused cars and this thing beat some proper super cars around the ring and it’s better damped. It does have fidget over bad motorways but low speed refinement it is very decent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts