Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really going back and forth between the stelvio qf and the macan gts.
I want to hear what you owners have to say about the car, how does it drive? How does the quadrifoglio compares to the lower trims like sport or Ti?

·
Registered
48 Posts
When you are looking at the Quadrifoglio, you are looking at a totally different class from the lower trim models. Not that there is anything wrong with them... Owners lover them and they are sporty and stylish but the "Quad" is in the elite 500+ Horsepower range and you pay a premium price for that kind of power regardless of which manufacturer you chose.
I think a lot of high performance SUV buyers went through the Macan S Turbo Vs AMG GLC vs F-Pace SVR Vs Stelvio Quad analysis.
They are all great vehicles and really comes down to personal tastes and needs.
I believe to get the performance of the Stelvio Quadrifoglio in a Macan, you will spend a little more.
Below is my review from Edmunds and I still stand by it at 10,000 miles and 13 months... It might help with your decision.

"This is a different kind of SUV... Behind the wheel, you feel like you're driving a sports car. Bucket seats, precision handling, firm suspension, great road feel, sharp brakes, and that engine/exhaust noise...Oh yes.. Classic sports car... Then you look around ... And behold... A back seat and decent cargo space!
Is it as refined as a Mercedes-AMG GLC 63S ?... No.
Is it as sophisticated as a Porsche Macan S Turbo?... No
Does it have the monster engine of a Jaguar F-Pace SVR?... No
But for sheer visceral driving excitement, there's nothing like it. Not for everyone... But if you wanted to drive a sports car that made your pulse race and put a smile on your face, however necessity insists on something a little more practical, this is it. It's fun... It's stylish... It's fast... It's Italian!
Update June 2020 - One year and 9000 miles in and still loving this vehicle. The driving thrill never gets old. No issues or complaints. Mechanically solid. Interior holding up very well - No rattles or deterioration."

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I have a quad, I've had a couple different base models as loaners.
Bigger wheels tires, stiffer suspension and big engine make them feel like different cars - but they all feel like alfas, just different ones.
Light and frisky vs heavy (feel, just the big rubber) and nasty?
I'd be plenty happy with a base, exceptionally happy with a lusso with performance pack.
Depending on the day and road, maybe happier than with the quad, which maybe feels more serious than fun?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Badger, thank you for your input please let me come back to it after.

I test drove a 2020 base stelvio with AWD - it has no paddles. I wanted to love the car, i wanted so so much to like the car but the experience was just beyond underwhelming. Me and the misses are deciding between the macan gts or the stelvio qf. She loved the base version of the macan. I only liked the interior. The driving was a little bland but the handling and ride was good with composure. The base model macan showed me how good the gts version would be. Also, the options of choices that porsche offers is just incredible. But 80 grand for a performance version that only has 375 HP in 2020? Its so hard to overlook that.

Badger, its reaffirming to hear someone who has owned the car for some time and still loves it like day one. The base model stelvio did not sell the car to me, in fact it might have did the opposit. I need to be in a stelvio qf before i can make my final decision. Like you said, its italian and i love italian motorcycles. apples and oranges. The macan gts feels like the more complete package from dealer service to customer service but that damn sub 400 HP/Torque is killing me.

ps - we are a family of bimmers from 1 series to m2 to x5 so all of my driving experience is based on those cars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Definitely drive a Quadrifoglio...It's different from the other models. Drive it in D (Dynamic mode) with suspension set to soft... That's everyday "run to the store" mode... Them put it in race, push the selector to the side to go into manual and use the paddles... This is "hair on fire mode"... I defy you not to smile when the engine revs up and the "bark" when you change gear.... LOL. As I have said, not for everyone but in our case we had an Infiniti QX50 and Corvette.. We both traveled a lot during the week so having 2 vehicles made no sense... We loved the fun of the sports car and the practicality of the SUV... At the end of the day we love the sports car feel over the sophistication of the competitors.. But that's our taste. We did drive 1200 miles a few weeks ago on a road trip from South Florida to Georgia and found it comfortable for long distance driving (6 hours each way with only one stop). Good luck with your search... Enjoy :)

.... One aditional thought... Here is South Florida you see more Porsche's, BMWs, Mercedes, Lambos and Ferraris, than Fords.... Alfa's do enjoy a certain exclusivity... LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One last question - for the panoramic roof, how is the material on the quadrifoglio? cause the one i saw on the base model was like a thin piece of cloth with the sunlight shining thru.
ps - we are getting the quad over the gts lol the misses isnt completely sold on it yet but i know shell grow to love the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lol. I test drove a Macan Turbo prior to buying my Stelvio QV almost 2 months ago. No comparison. (But I’ll compare...)

If you are a soccer mom, the Porsche is definitely for you. Enjoy it and smile.

if you love to drive, have ever been on a track, or you think that a vehicle is more than a touch screen with some fancy software (that will be outdated in 2 years), then the Stelvio is for you.

I am not judging anyone’s wants or interests, I’m just pointing out that if you fall into one of the categories above, then I try to help your decision.

I was a huuuuuge German car fan/owner (Porsche/BMW/Audi) then I moved to Italian cars and will never look back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Quad and must say that it is instant smiles when you drive it. The accuracy and precision in the turns. That amazing sound as you launch at a stop light and hear that exhaust note, that will get you hooked. I drive it usually in Dynamic and sometimes in Race Mode. I have gotten mine up to 143mph, a Dodge Challenger SRT could not even keep up with me. It is a one of a kind driving experience. I daily drive in Chicago traffic and in Natural Mode with Adaptive cruise on its a breeze to drive in traffic. I have driven the Ti Sport as loaner vehicles and still have a good get up, but once you drive a Quad, nothing else compares. Defiantly test drive one. Btw the sunshade on the Quad panoramic roof does a good job of blocking the light. Over all an amazing machine to own.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I want to hear what you owners have to say about the car, how does it drive? How does the quadrifoglio compares to the lower trims like sport or Ti?
I had a 280, I have a Quadrifoglio. Totally different cars. The 280 is great and mine was fully optioned with paddles, sport seats, electronic suspensiosn but it's like going from a base Boxster to a 911 turbo. Also the Quadrifoglio is another planet compared to the Macan GTS (that I had for several days), even the Macan Turbo is not at the QV level. Just look at the numbers, they tell you the story.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Plus, with a Stelvio QV you can do things such as completely dust an Audi RS4 at a stoplight like I did this afternoon :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Living in South Florida, I did get all the windows tinted to reduce glare, wear on surfaces and improve cooling. I did not get the sunroof tinted. The thin cloth shield does let some light through but it doesn't bother me enough to get extra tint on it. That said, I've heard from others who did get additional tint on the panoramic sunroof but they lived in very hot sunny locations like Arizona, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Recently bought a QV and have recently spent time in a Macan Turbo, GLC63 and X3M. As comfortable, quality transport the Macan is better in everyway, but if you are into driving, steering feel, and smiles (as all the other have said above) the qv was the most fun.

I drove the QV last after being so close to buying the X3M which is also really excellent, but as a person who loves driving and has a GT3RS for track days, the QV was the only small SUV that drove like a sedan in the least and a sports car at the most, all of them eventually succumb to the heft and weight when pushed, the QV feels so nimble in comparison.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have both a Stelvio QV and a 2020 Macan S. I love them both, but it's a different driving experience. The Porsche is German, precise, predictable, handles like a sportscar. The Stelvio QV is Italian, frantic, at times unpredictable, but that adds up to a much more entertaining drive. The Stelvio steering is a little lighter than the Porsche and less re-assuring. The Stelvio is more powerful, and has a better and louder engine noise, espically with an exhaust controller.
You can't go wrong with either, judging from the Macan GTSs I have driven in the past, the GTS is bit closer to the Stelvio than the S.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a 280, I have a Quadrifoglio. Totally different cars. The 280 is great and mine was fully optioned with paddles, sport seats, electronic suspensiosn but it's like going from a base Boxster to a 911 turbo. Also the Quadrifoglio is another planet compared to the Macan GTS (that I had for several days), even the Macan Turbo is not at the QV level. Just look at the numbers, they tell you the story.
I found the Stelvio easily as comfortable as the Macan - just in terms of just comfort. The Stelvio is right up there. The sport seats are among the best out there.
Electronics and interior finish, yes the Porsche has Stelvio beat, but for the extra $15k, it better.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Badger, thank you for your input please let me come back to it after.

I test drove a 2020 base stelvio with AWD - it has no paddles. I wanted to love the car, i wanted so so much to like the car but the experience was just beyond underwhelming. Me and the misses are deciding between the macan gts or the stelvio qf. She loved the base version of the macan. I only liked the interior. The driving was a little bland but the handling and ride was good with composure. The base model macan showed me how good the gts version would be. Also, the options of choices that porsche offers is just incredible. But 80 grand for a performance version that only has 375 HP in 2020? Its so hard to overlook that.

Badger, its reaffirming to hear someone who has owned the car for some time and still loves it like day one. The base model stelvio did not sell the car to me, in fact it might have did the opposit. I need to be in a stelvio qf before i can make my final decision. Like you said, its italian and i love italian motorcycles. apples and oranges. The macan gts feels like the more complete package from dealer service to customer service but that damn sub 400 HP/Torque is killing me.

ps - we are a family of bimmers from 1 series to m2 to x5 so all of my driving experience is based on those cars.
The quad is in another league entirely. The Macan is fundamentally a vw. Subframes are improved q5.

the stelvio chassis, aka Giorgio, was purpose engineered by the father of the 458 speciale. This is an absurd comparison.
I drove every permutation of the macan turbo and gts, along w the Glc 63 (got my mom a 43 ;).
If you’re really a driver, not a car owner for looks, this isn’t a convo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wife and I drove a Macan prior to Quad purchase. Quad is much nicer and way more powerful. The Macan is a few inches shorter in back seat. Macans old school buttons config in center console was not soo appealing to wife(Quad is hers). I highly recommend the Quad over the Porsche even the Cayenne, was not impressed with it either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Froohyeah, there isn't much to go back and forth on if You appreciate the driving experience there is no other car/suv out there that compares in the price range. I test drove the GLC63S,BMW, Macan GTS, and kept going back to the Quadrifoglio . Once You drive the Quadrifoglio it is way above the aforementioned, good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As well, the 2020 interior enhancements do add more value on the Quad vs competition.

·
Registered
188 Posts
my wife got over it too

One last question - for the panoramic roof, how is the material on the quadrifoglio? cause the one i saw on the base model was like a thin piece of cloth with the sunlight shining thru.
ps - we are getting the quad over the gts lol the misses isnt completely sold on it yet but i know shell grow to love the car.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts