Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Alfa lovers,
I have a 2018 Stelvio QV with ~18K miles on it.
Two days ago, when starting the car I got the "Service Electronic Throttle Control" with a flashing CEL. The engine was shaking badly. I turned it off and didn't drive it.
Took it to the dealership in SF Bay Area today and it drove just fine.
Unfortunately the service dept at the dealer is fully booked and can't diagnose the car until next week.
Is it safe to drive it?
Most comments in the forum are about low voltage battery but is it also the symptom when the engine is shaking badly? I suspect more of cylinder misfires.
Regards,
Odedi

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Go to an auto parts store and get the code scanned.

Quad, might be a misfire, look up "cold start misfire".

Is it safe to drive? Depends on how long the engine misfires for, most people report it happening after the car has been sitting for awhile and then only for a short time. If that's the case..I'de drive it.

Also try adding a fuel cleaner additive to help clear out carbon...some people have said that helps.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hmmm...

Going through something similar. Agree with the code reader (cheap online usually).

Carbon buildup in the combustion chambers is apparently a real thing. Dealer spayed some expensive crap in the throttle body, told me to put a bottle of Techron in the tank and "drive it like I stole it" Work for a few months...now I apparently have bigger issues.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 2018 QV had CEL come on and could tell it was misfiring, no appointment available at dealer for 3 weeks, took it in. They found battery low, they put on charger and after two days of diagnosis they found nothing. Brought it home, two days later "service electronic throttle control" and CEL come back on. Now have to take it back into dealer. It has to be a battery issue. But will see what they come up with this time.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
144 Posts
Do you have the original Varta battery? If so, replace that ASAP with a new Interstate AGM.

·
Registered
274 Posts
With my car the rough iddle and misfires dissapeared after the very incapable mechanics st the dealershio decided to change the spark plugs after several calls to Alfa care.
i had been complaining about that for 3 years….
They wanted to charge me almist 1000 $ for that work.
I told them that I had the factory spark plugs bought in their parts department.
They told me they can not accept them since I did not have the original receipt.
I went to the parts dept and they printed out my receipt.
I told them now……but how much do you charge per hour……400$?
Well. They were SO nice that st that point they told me that they would fo it free of charge as a courtesy…….!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Update : I just received word that a faulty relay is the culprit and that my QV has been running on one less cylinder. Since diagnosis now the problem becomes a parts availability. Since a single relay is harder to find, yet a whole relay box may be available. Seems that they had to contact Mopar and open a case regarding approval. Now it's a waiting game on what part can be replaced in the shortest amount of time. So far it has been at the dealer for a total of 4 days. So have to just wait.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Same thing here with our 2018 Quad. I think over the past 3 or so years we'd had it happen 3 times. Recently was earlier this year and they replaced a fuel injector. Took a week to get the part but better than waiting weeks/months for it. Our AR dealership seemed to be educated on this issue and took care of it quickly. I personally think this is just some of the growing pains for this specific engine developed by AR.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Update : I just received word that a faulty relay is the culprit and that my QV has been running on one less cylinder. Since diagnosis now the problem becomes a parts availability. Since a single relay is harder to find, yet a whole relay box may be available. Seems that they had to contact Mopar and open a case regarding approval. Now it's a waiting game on what part can be replaced in the shortest amount of time. So far it has been at the dealer for a total of 4 days. So have to just wait.
I hear ya! My Stelvio TiSport was down for a month at the dealership waiting for a fuel pump. I was told there was none in the Western region, so they had to escalate via corporate and do a national search. One was found in a Florida dealership and had to be shipped to he Western region depot. Then shipped to me in Hawaii. Of course, with that many hands on the part, things would go wrong and did go wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts