Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go to my local dealership to do a final test drive and do negotiations. My sales person says he can't sell the car! Stelvios are currently on a stop sale until further notice! He says there's something about a water leak towards the back of the car that needs to be fixed. They don't have a fix for it yet but hope to do so towards the end of the month.

Does anyone know what this is all about? Some kind of water leak?

Also, he says Apple carplay not until the May builds or maybe May delivery.

·
Registered
80 Posts
It would appear we all have pending recalls on our vehicles; see the other thread on "Stelvio Safety Recalls"; 2 issues actually - which I have copied here for you (as as noted, they don't have parts available yet):

#1 - Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk
The A-pillar sheet metal joint and plenum sheet metal to the heating ventilation air condition box may experience sealing deficiencies which could result in water intrusion and subsequent corrosion in the body control module A pillar connector and/or body control module component. This corrosion may result in one or more malfunction indicator lamps (MIL) and/or a loss of windshield wiper function, and/or a loss of all exterior lighting, and/or loss of horn function and/or inadvertent turn signal activation. In certain cases, a MIL may illuminate indicating the issue. In certain cases, a MIL may illuminate indicating an issue with the windshield wipers, auto headlights not operative and/or external lights not operative. In certain conditions, loss of windshield wiper function and/or exterior lighting may reduce driver

Repair Description
Install additional sealing protection to prevent water intrusion for the body control module A-pillar connector and body control module.

Recall Status
INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE

#2 - Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk
The rear liftgate may experience deficiencies in the sealing and water management system in the rear liftgate applique and rear tail lamp that can result in water intrusion and subsequent corrosion in wiring connectors in the rear liftgate wiring harness and the liftgate-opening switches. This corrosion may result in an unintended activation and opening of the rear liftgate door at vehicle speeds up to 3.1 MPH (5 km/h). An unintended activation and opening of the rear liftgate door may result in a loss of unrestrained cargo. Lost cargo may create a road hazard and could cause a following vehicle to crash without prior warning.

Repair Description
Install additional sealing protection to prevent water intrusion for the rear liftgate wiring connectors and switch.

Recall Status
INCOMPLETE BUT REPAIR PARTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE

I'll keep an eye on both areas of the car in the interim. Such is risk of buying a brand new model of vehicle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This sounds more serious than just the risk of a first year model. Hopefully this doesn’t affect all Stelvio’s and it’s just a certain batch. ?‍♂?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only “official” recall I have seen concerns the windshield wipers overheating for Stelvio’s built from Jan 2017- July 2017. AR will replace the windshield wiper motors in those vehicles beginning April 25th.

·
Registered
169 Posts
There’s a wiper motor recall and also there is a recall for the tailgate wiring which isn’t properly water sealed and can cause the tailgate to operate on its own, sometimes while driving. I’ve mentioned this before here as people have questioned why their hatch will open when not commanded, it’s a big problem but easily solved IMO...just a big piece of heat shrink over the wire connection would be a permanent repair.

Reactions: Scalewoodman

·
Registered
763 Posts
I wonder if Alfa helps out dealers in anyway since they can not sell until a fix is in place. If it takes a few weeks to get the fix out to dealers, that is a big hit to them and Alfa, just when sales were picking up.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
There’s a wiper motor recall and also there is a recall for the tailgate wiring which isn’t properly water sealed and can cause the tailgate to operate on its own, sometimes while driving. I’ve mentioned this before here as people have questioned why their hatch will open when not commanded, it’s a big problem but easily solved IMO...just a big piece of heat shrink over the wire connection would be a permanent repair.

And thanks to you we heard it here first-- appreciate your input. We are glad you are part of the group.

·
Registered
18 Posts
is this in anyway relating to the evacuation of rain water through various holes in the tailgate?

i noticed that after a heavy downpour, water appears to collect within the tailgate and evacuates through several holes.
a bit annoying when you open the boot and have to watch out for the trickle to stop

·
Registered
169 Posts
is this in anyway relating to the evacuation of rain water through various holes in the tailgate?

i noticed that after a heavy downpour, water appears to collect within the tailgate and evacuates through several holes.
a bit annoying when you open the boot and have to watch out for the trickle to stop
I don’t think so, the connection issue is basically behind the license plate and to the left, that lower panel isn’t properly sealed and neither is the connector, so its inevitable that moisture will get in the connection...the water dripping after a rain is pretty common on most vehicles, actually on my wife’s Cherokee I always open the hatch at least once after a wash to allow it to drain at open position to avoid this, as well as to avoid water streaks after drying.

Reactions: alfaromeo

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went to a dealer earlier this week and was told the same thing. Good to see that what the sales person told me was correct. Any thoughts as to how long the hold will be in place? I do want to drive one before I make any decisions on my next vehicle.

Ray

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Parts due in 4/23 at my dealer

·
Registered
763 Posts
When pulling up my dealers webpage they have no listings for the Stelvio. You can imagine a dealer having inventory and not being able to sale. I just wonder how long it will take before a dealer gets enough parts in to fix inventory and customers Stelvio?

·
Registered
77 Posts
When pulling up my dealers webpage they have no listings for the Stelvio. You can imagine a dealer having inventory and not being able to sale. I just wonder how long it will take before a dealer gets enough parts in to fix inventory and customers Stelvio?

The sales person did tell me that the parts would go to customer's cars first. Although that may delay sales a bit longer, it's the right thing to do.

Ray

·
Registered
169 Posts
I went to a dealer earlier this week and was told the same thing. Good to see that what the sales person told me was correct. Any thoughts as to how long the hold will be in place? I do want to drive one before I make any decisions on my next vehicle.

Ray
Just because they can’t sell you one doesn’t mean you can’t road test one, they should have a demo or two (we have at least two that are used by salespeople), or even toss a dealer plate on a stock unit for you to drive.

The sales person did tell me that the parts would go to customer's cars first. Although that may delay sales a bit longer, it's the right thing to do.

Ray
This is true, customers car’s first absolutely, even if there’s a sold unit waiting to be delivered, customers cars will be fixed first.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts