Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, some of you out there have Subaru WRX's yeah? Or did?

I met a guy last night and we had a little fun on some backroads and out in the dry lake bed...both of us came out a little shocked.

From a dead stop, 4 runs...we kept trading. Basically cars were matched it was more up to reaction time..till 75...then I would walk away. Every time.

At a rolling start from both 25 and 45 mph....he couldn't touch me. I just pulled away...slowly, but pulled away...every time. Even when he dropped back and accelerated from behind, so he had momentum, as soon as I got on the gas...I pulled away.

In the dry lake bed it was literally no contest stopped or rolling..my car was able to get more traction resulting in significantly more speed. Like 2 car lengths at 40 with a widening gap. Cut it off about 90.

Obviously in D.

Anyway..I thought the WRX would be faster. More hp with better factory rated 0-60....the results on dirt didnt surprise though...
Q4 destoys Subaru's system from a tech standpoint. He argued his system was better originally. (Afterall "Alfa", I'de be lucky if the car didnt catch fire...thats what started it... I had to defend Alfa's honor)

Anybody with a Subaru WRX have an idea why? I figure its gearing and how fast the engine can climb through the revs..but wondering about other opinions...

This was a 2019 Subaru WRX STI btw. 10k on it so I doubt the engine was too tight.

Before anyone gets mad, controlled situation..waaay out in the boonies, no traffic..dry lake bed on BLM land.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Could be that the Subaru's CVT is tuned more for fuel economy than racing. Did you compare engine RPMs? I suspect that in D mode, the Stelvio spent more time close to the red line than the WRX.

With access to the dry lake bed, have you verified the Stelvio's advertised top speed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Could be that the Subaru's CVT is tuned more for fuel economy than racing. Did you compare engine RPMs? I suspect that in D mode, the Stelvio spent more time close to the red line than the WRX.

With access to the dry lake bed, have you verified the Stelvio's advertised top speed?
If it's an STI it would be a manual as there is no CVT/Automatic option, so it could also come down to how quickly the other driver shifts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just to add, my previous car was a 2013 Golf R and the Stelvio feels significantly faster not only because of the faster advertised 0-60 time, 5.6 vs 5.4, but also because the automatic shifts faster than I could normally shift manually on that car.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Driving a 2006 STI Limited right now and drove Imprezas for years.

Subaru has a really long throw on the H so it would definitely shift slower than the Alfa, especially even to odd gears. The STI is geared kinda tall on 3 and 4 then not nearly tall enough on 5 and 6. Where they shine is on loose surfaces like gravel, but Q4 is probably qualitatively better there as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I used to love driving manuals. I still do like to just because you become more emersed in the driving experience. But with today's automatic/CVT transmissions a manual doesn't compare performance wise. You'll never be able to shift as fast.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about the tranny, especially from a stop, but the rolling start (particularly when I let him use momentum) was what really shocked me. Especially the run where he came from behind and was already in gear and accelerating before I put the hammer down.

High gearing makes sense though....probably isnt as aggressive as ours is above 3rd. I assumed Subaru would select gearing to maximize power delivery, but guess not.

It's pretty obvious gas miledge was not the design focus on the Stelvio, even 8th gear seems more developed for power delivery than mileage.

Havent been able to test top speed on the lake bed, would need more room than I have. Need alot of space to gain speed above 110ish. Will say at 110 its a rock in terms of handling...very solid, no floating sensations even on dirt..even under hard braking from that speed it never feels remotely out of control.

In terms of AWD, it was no contest. The Subaru spun its wheels then TC locked the power down....I took off with minimal wheel spin. Surface was similar to a well packed dirt road. The way this system manages wheel spin should be the standard of the industry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is it possible the Subaru guy couldn't drive?

Summers on dirt are going to suck and have a much bigger bearing that any 4WD tech.
(Assuming STI on stock rubber and Stelvio on all seasons.)

I rallyx and have a stelvio and a Focus RS which is similar to an STI and the Focus would murder the Stelvio at most things except hauling babies :)
Stelvio is still a fast car, but it's no race car.

Granted in a drag race who knows, but an STI aint a drag car.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Driver always makes a difference....

He had high-perf all-season Dunlops on it, was driving from New Hampshire across the US and back for the holidays doing as much off pavement as possible. We met at a restaurant were sitting across from each other, talked quite a bit, before heading out, (some more after..he blamed it on extra weight of the camping/clothes...) we started talking when I heard him and his GF laughing about all the performance SUV's he trashed, and talking poop on "that dumb Alfa in the parking lot". Going on dirt was his idea..I expected to lose and was just having fun...not losing....and on dirt there really was no competition.

Are you in Ca? I'de love to try a Focus RS. Not trying to be a jerk, just enjoy competition. Even when I lose!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Driver always makes a difference....

He had high-perf all-season Dunlops on it, was driving from New Hampshire across the US and back for the holidays doing as much off pavement as possible. We met at a restaurant were sitting across from each other, talked quite a bit, before heading out, (some more after..he blamed it on extra weight of the camping/clothes...) we started talking when I heard him and his GF laughing about all the performance SUV's he trashed, and talking poop on "that dumb Alfa in the parking lot". Going on dirt was his idea..I expected to lose and was just having fun...not losing....and on dirt there really was no competition.

Are you in Ca? I'de love to try a Focus RS. Not trying to be a jerk, just enjoy competition. Even when I lose!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well that was pretty cool that you defended Alfa's honor and took the challenge. My two cents:

--Agree, driver. Seems you got to D8 before he got to M6 which could explain why you walked away past 75...

--Him losing more grip and TC interference, unless he disabled it?

--The HP and torque curves might favor the Stelvio, esp at top end. But I have not checked to compare.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Call me a hater, but never been a Subaru fan...when I think of the WRX, I see some Millennial with stickers on the back window. Can a FWD actually be a true sports car :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Call me a hater, but never been a Subaru fan...when I think of the WRX, I see some Millennial with stickers on the back window. Can a FWD actually be a true sports car :)
^^^^ Hahaha. I almost made a similar comment yesterday but didn't want to offend anyone. I need to post a pic of the subaru that parks in my parking garage at my apartment. It has racing stickers even stuck on the wheels. I'm guessing he doesn't even know where the track is.

I do feel bad for pre judging him though, he came over when I was doing my ceramic coating to talk about the Stelvio and seems like an ok dude. Maybe he'd be willing to line them up. I've only actually seen him that one time but I'm sure I could find him...I'll just look for the vape cloud and flat billed hat.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Speaking as an early millennial or late GenX I resemble that. Just remember that there’s a lost generation from 1979-1985 that hates all of you :)

I’m also way young for an Alfa owner.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Speaking as an early millennial or late GenX I resemble that. Just remember that there’s a lost generation from 1979-1985 that hates all of you :)

I’m also way young for an Alfa owner.
You're right, no room for that here. We need to embrace all ages of car enthusiasts, especially Alfa owners!!! And I straddle the boomer/Gen X boundary (1965)---my kids are Millennials. You are not too young at all for an Alfa. I'm not sure the exact age bracket Alfa had in mind when they came back to 'Merica, but they sure as hell need you and your friends to buy Alfas. Bet that Misano Blue turns lots of heads.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My kid has a Giulia Hot Wheel IIRC.

I started driving in the interval when Alfa retreated from the US. I bought my Stelvio after walking into a Volvo/Maser/Porsche dealer to look at Macan and V60. My old man had a white on black Giulia Super in 1967 and I grew up on stories of it. Nobody in my age range (late 30s) really knows Alfa. It’s a weird gap.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My kid has a Giulia Hot Wheel IIRC.

I started driving in the interval when Alfa retreated from the US. I bought my Stelvio after walking into a Volvo/Maser/Porsche dealer to look at Macan and V60. My old man had a white on black Giulia Super in 1967 and I grew up on stories of it. Nobody in my age range (late 30s) really knows Alfa. It’s a weird gap.
Well, you, personally, are some of the best "free" marketing Alfa could get to close that gap. Just drive, everywhere (ok, most places). And tell your friends.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I love my Alfa. It just doesn’t draw attention like I’d expect. I think the bright blue makes everyone think it’s a Kia or Hyundai. But yeah, more than a few coworkers have their eyes on Alfas now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts