Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see some here like the Stop/Start feature and some don't. I find it variable in the amount of time it takes to start the engine on demand. Some times it is quick enough and other times it waits a beat or takes more than one revolution to start the engine. Once I sat there a full second with the accelerator pedal down an inch before the starter activated. Has anyone else seen that much lag?

·
Read Only
849 Posts
remember that the S&S system maintain anche check many sensors and one of this sensor is battery.
go to the service and ask to read the dtc of the car, need to see if there are errors or bus off or energy low

·
Registered
169 Posts
^Good call but if the battery is low the start/stop should be disabled.
I personally haven’t seen an issue with this yet, but if they are suspicious of the battery what they need to do is check the SOC (state of charge), it must be above 65% or some functions will stop working.

Reactions: tipo949

·
Registered
18 Posts
My dealer did an update to my start/stop (looked up my VIN and said there was an update)...seems to have maybe helped a little.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the "Service Throttle Warning" within hours of buying this car. Every time it would reset when I turned the engine off. It always turned off the Start/Stop system. I am from the UK and I have a theory with the Start/Stop system. In the UK and Europe they use roundabouts much more then the USA. Now I'm living in the US most places that would have had roundabouts in Europe are replaced with Stop signs. The point is you don't usually stop at a roundabout whereas you must stop at every Stop sign. In my neighbourhood alone I have 5 Stop signs before I even exit the community. Every time the engine stops. I just cant put up with the power loss and delay. Now I'm in the habit of switching it off every time I get in the car

·
Registered
2 Posts
The restart function of that system is initiated by release of the brake. Watching the traffic light in front of you and anticipating traffic flow will help your timing. You can reapply the brake after restart and creep along until traffic clears the intersection, you along with it. I would confess that at stop signs I rarely come to a complete stop unless traffic mandates it. I would also confess that the system drives me bonkers when I am pulling into the garage so I disable it because if the engine shuts off before placing the tranny in P, it restarts the engine so you can. This is a GREAT vehicle and I still love it after driving it 2500 miles. Just as an aside, its comfortable enough for a 400 mile day easily.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It sometimes takes a full second (or maybe even slightly longer) for my engine to start again after stop. I've also noticed that at certain inclines the car will actually roll backwards a few feet before it kicks back in which seems like a serious safety issue to me.

I've just got into the habit of always disabling start/stop after I press the start engine button. I only wish there was a software setting to permanently disable the feature.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I've just got into the habit of always disabling start/stop after I press the start engine button. I only wish there was a software setting to permanently disable the feature.
I saw a post recently over on the Giulia forums (I think @ALFATECH may have written it, can't remember) which mentioned that disconnecting the passenger side hood latch sensor effectively deactivates start-stop without any other side effects. I haven't tested it yet. Maybe he'd do a write up or post some pictures of the process :grin

·
Registered
14 Posts
It sometimes takes a full second (or maybe even slightly longer) for my engine to start again after stop. I've also noticed that at certain inclines the car will actually roll backwards a few feet before it kicks back in which seems like a serious safety issue to me.

I agree with the rollback. It is much more than the other cars I have driven. The start/ stop function does not bother me too much as my previous car had it too. It's just so much more sensitive in this car.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I saw a post recently over on the Giulia forums (I think @ALFATECH may have written it, can't remember) which mentioned that disconnecting the passenger side hood latch sensor effectively deactivates start-stop without any other side effects. I haven't tested it yet. Maybe he'd do a write up or post some pictures of the process :grin
I didn’t write it but here’s a copy/paste from the Giulia forum

Based on some posts that indicated that the stop/start function does not work if the hood is not fully latched, I came up with a method to permanently disable it.

Hood closure is sensed by a switch on the bottom side of the right side hood latch. By removing the 2-wire connector the system thinks the hood is open and turns off stop/start.

With the wires disconnected the stop/start is disabled. The only side effects are a text message in the center display stating "stop/start unavailable" which lasts for about 8 seconds after engine start and after that there is a small yellow circle on the bottom of the center display with an "A" in it which stays on as long as the engine is running. All other functions work normally including driving modes.

Instructions:

1) Make scribe marks around the right side hood latch mounting ears in order to get it back into the same location later.
2) Remove the two bolts holding down the hood latch.
3) Pull the end of the secondary latch cable toward the latch, rotate it so it slides sideways thru the slot to disconnect it. This is the cable that runs from the yellow lever over the radiator.
4) Loosen the main latch cable that runs along the side of the hood opening from the two closest plastic clips. This provides slack to get the latch out.
5) Wiggle the latch up and out while feeding slack to the main cable. Be careful not to damage the wires running from the front of the car to the bottom of the latch.
6) Disconnect the two wire connector from the front side of the latch. A thin blade must be inserted in the back side of the connector to open it.
7) Secure the loose connector to prevent it from falling down into God knows where or rattling. I tied it to the bottom of the latch.

Note - Don't forget to reconnect the secondary latch cable or you won't be able to open the hood..

Reactions: SailDrive

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've also noticed that at certain inclines the car will actually roll backwards a few feet before it kicks back in which seems like a serious safety issue to me.
Yes! This is very concerning! My parking sensors start alerting, and I roll back like I'm driving a manual on a hill. Told my dealer and they thought I was crazy...said the auto start/stop should not engage on inclines. Well...it does! And the brake hold does not engage when the start/stop does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Cambir, Are you saying you experienced lag in starting as I have?
ARS, yes I've experienced the lag. Although I think I've found it to be more of a timing issue. If stopped and waiting at a light, it starts up without a lag. Where I see the lag is at a stop sign or in traffic.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
I have noticed that there is an inclinometer inhibiting start/stop on slopes- it is passive so there is no way to verify (other than actually stopping) + it applies the parking brake on a slope in 'P' (auto pb disabled- I prefer manual use of it), a thoughtful safety feature which I appreciate in case someone else uses the vehicle and is not paying attention.

Points to possible software revision (do you have the latest flash?) Or possibly an issue with the inclinometer itself.

That said, the auto stop/start is counterintuitive in stop and go traffic and I am learning to disable it in certain traffic conditions.

I got 30 mpg yesterday on a trip- some on 287 NJ and I78/222 S in PA heavy traffic/rush hour/A mode. Very impressive!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts