Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, took delivery of my 2017 Stelvio on Saturday and it’s great, constantly find myself wanting to go out and drive it. However, I have noticed the stop start function doesn’t work... do you think this could be down to the amount of time it could have been sitting in the car dealers showroom or do you think the battery needs replacing? I have taken the battery off to put on charge so I will see if this sorts the problem in the morning, but what are my chances?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It could be the battery, which is the most obvious problem in these cars, or you just could be lucky with this shity system not to work at all. :) If you have proper charger there is no need to take off the battery from the car BTW. If it is EFB OEM, better change it soon with AGM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Anunnaki, I know I find stop starts annoying so would probably never use it but it’s just the fact it has it so it should work.. yes I have the original EFB on at the moment and was thinking if it needs replacing to go for an AGM. The charger was showing it as fully charged this morning so have put it all back on now and everything is fine, just have to see if the stop start is working now, does anyone know though if there is only certain temps that it will work in only now we are getting into winter in wondering if it wouldn’t work anyway??

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks Anunnaki, I know I find stop starts annoying so would probably never use it but it’s just the fact it has it so it should work.. yes I have the original EFB on at the moment and was thinking if it needs replacing to go for an AGM. The charger was showing it as fully charged this morning so have put it all back on now and everything is fine, just have to see if the stop start is working now, does anyone know though if there is only certain temps that it will work in only now we are getting into winter in wondering if it wouldn’t work anyway??
As you disconnected the battery, it will take the IBS a couple of days to recalibrate. During this recalibration phase, auto stop/start will not work anyway, so you will only be able to see if it works after this period......

In addition, there's a ton of conditions that can stop the start/stop working, like activation of climate control etc, so yes, temperature could have an effect

From the service manual:

Engine Failure to Stop Conditions
When the ESS system is active, the engine may not stop in some conditions for reasons of comfort, emission control and safety. These conditions include:
  • Engine temperature is still cold
  • Battery is not sufficiently charged
  • Windshield wipers are being used at maximum speed
  • Driver’s door is not shut
  • Driver’s seat belt is not fastened
  • Vehicle is in the reverse gear(e.g. parking maneuver)
  • When Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) is equipped, a desirable level of comfort has not been reached
  • Barometric pressure (over threshold)
A message will appear on the instrument panel display in these cases.

Engine conditions that disable Autostop
When the ESS system is activated, there are specific conditions that will prevent the ESS system event to occur. The following conditions leading to an ESS system operation preventiont can be detected and managed by the BCM or the PCM:

Cold engine: Autostop is prevented if the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is outside of a range of 40°C (104°F) and 100°C (212°F). In this case, the fuel efficiency and emission reduction deriving from use of the ESS system is not guaranteed .

Reverse gear is engaged: the PCM will not allow the automatic stopping of the engine if reverse gear is engaged . This measure has been adopted in order not to adversely affect performance during parking maneuvers.

A malfunction or fault detected in at least one of the following components will also disable the ESS system:
  • Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS)
  • Brake pedal position sensor
  • Automatic Braking System (ABS) Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU)
  • ECT sensor
  • Wheel Speed Sensors (WSS)
  • Engine crank sensor
  • Engine camshaft sensor
  • Reverse switch
  • PCM (Malfunction Indicator Lamp/MIL on)

The BCM will signal prevent the engine automatic stopping by sending a CAN-C data bus network message if one or more conditions managed by the BCM occur:

Battery not being sufficiently charged
  • IBS calibrating
  • SOF of the battery is below 8 .3 V
  • Battery temperature is below -23°C (-9°F)

If the IBS is not calibrating, Autostop will be prevented if one of the following conditions occurs:
  • SOC is below 75%
  • SOH is below 60%
  • SOF is below 8 .2 V
  • Battery temperature is below -23°C (9°F)

IBS fault: The automatic engine stop event is prevented if an IBS malfunction occurs.

Driver’s door not shut: Autostop is prevented if the driver’s door is open .

Driver’s seat belt not fastened: Autostop is prevented if the driver’s seat belt is not fastened .

Outside temperature sensor: Autostop is prevented if:
  • Outside temperature is lower than -16 °C (3°F)
  • Outside temperature is higher than 82 °C (180°F)
  • NOTE: The temperature limits that have been set on the outside temperature sensor are “extreme” and therefore must always be considered .

ATC: Autostop is prevented if the difference between the climate control temperature set by the customer and the temperature inside the passenger compartment is greater than ± 4°C (39°F)
NOTE: If the vehicle is equipped with manual air conditioning, the engine can always be Autostopped .

Generator fault: Autostop is prevented in the case of generator malfunctions.

Hood open: Autostop is prevented if the hood is open.

Logistic Mode status active: Autostop is prevented if the Logistic Mode status is active.

BCM relay fault: Autostop is prevented if there is a starting circuit relay issue. The relay is operated by the BCM.

Steering position: Autostop is prevented if the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) is out of calibrated range.

Fuel level: if the fuel level is below a certain threshold, Autostop is disabled

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio QV
94 Posts
I'm also a fan of checking the battery voltage, especially prior to charging. With car off, mine was at 12.3 volts when i was having issues. Posts have stated that 12.4 is the lower limit of charge to not see issues. I had replaced my battery with AGM but failed to verify that the new battery came fully charged. Once charged up issues cleared.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@AlfaMD I checked it prior to putting back on the car this morning and it was at 12.8 volts, just checked it now and it’s reading 12.25 volts....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Checking the resting voltage is a complete waste of time here, what matters is load testing. Take the vehicle to an auto parts store and have them load test it, preferably with a computerized system. Most will do it for free. And even then, a “good” reading may not be enough to predict remaining battery life.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio QV
94 Posts
If it is the original 2017 crappy battery, then kind of a no brainer to me to upgrade to an AGM. But it is your money and your time if you get stranded. Another option if you want to eek out more life is to keep it on a battery tender.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio QV
94 Posts
Most common recomendation is
Interstate MTX-49/H8 battery $232 list
They say you can get them cheaper at Sams Club if you are a member.

Another option is
Interstate battery item number 1355853

Bargain pricing is
Autozone or any other car parts company sign up for the 20% discount and get the Duralast or similar AGM.

Or from dealer
Mopar AGM BBAH 8800 AB-001

800CCA 85AH RC 160 Min 12V
H8 Grp Size

·
Registered
505 Posts
I put 95ah 850A AGM in mine, but it is 2.0 petrol.Although I don't think it matters for the battery, if it is petrol or diesel ???
doesn't really matter, but in general diesels have the higher capacity battery (95 Ah) as standard, as starting takes more current due to higher compression of diesels
In petrol, 95 Ah is actually part of cold weather package, that also incudes a higher output generator. QV has this as standard.

·
Registered
77 Posts
doesn't really matter, but in general diesels have the higher capacity battery (95 Ah) as standard, as starting takes more current due to higher compression of diesels
In petrol, 95 Ah is actually part of cold weather package, that also incudes a higher output generator. QV has this as standard.
Yeah man. I have the cold weather package and the OEM EFB was 95 Ah

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah man. I have the cold weather package and the OEM EFB was 95 Ah
I did notice that a lot of threads on here people were referring to 95Ah so I was thinking mine may be wrong only being 80Ah. Looking at getting a 95Ah 850 CCA AGM, hopefully should sort any problems out

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did notice that a lot of threads on here people were referring to 95Ah so I was thinking mine may be wrong only being 80Ah. Looking at getting a 95Ah 850 CCA AGM, hopefully should sort any problems out
It is not wrong. They install 95Ah and 80Ah in the same cars.Depends on the packages, country,region......Go with 95Ah AGM, it will be better. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, took delivery of my 2017 Stelvio on Saturday and it’s great, constantly find myself wanting to go out and drive it. However, I have noticed the stop start function doesn’t work... do you think this could be down to the amount of time it could have been sitting in the car dealers showroom or do you think the battery needs replacing? I have taken the battery off to put on charge so I will see if this sorts the problem in the morning, but what are my chances?
Mine works only if the AC is off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It definitely is the battery. Our '18 started to do that. The start stop feature senses whether the battery has enough to restart the car and will not turn it off if it senses a problem. We had 3 instances of a dead battery and finally had to pay for an Interstate AGM battery. I always put it on a trickle charger. Also, if it has to be jumped, do not just put the cables on and turn the key. It will throw codes like crazy. Let the charge build up in the battery first!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It definitely is the battery. Our '18 started to do that. The start stop feature senses whether the battery has enough to restart the car and will not turn it off if it senses a problem. We had 3 instances of a dead battery and finally had to pay for an Interstate AGM battery. I always put it on a trickle charger. Also, if it has to be jumped, do not just put the cables on and turn the key. It will throw codes like crazy. Let the charge build up in the battery first!!
Thanks, I replaced my battery last night with an AGM so just got to give it a couple of days for the IBS to recalibrate and then hopefully no more issue 🤞

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 2018 Sport Ti. For the first 6 months the cruise control never worked, nor did the stop/start feature. I never asked why, but then I had another problem that I had to go to the dealer for (error message). They told me the cruise won't work if the start/stop wasn't working. The start/stop on my Stelvio didn't work because the battery was below the required minimum threshold charge. It was below the required charge because somehow it got there (perhaps sitting without a charger) and the charging system won't charge it back to maximum charge because it got below the minimum threshold requirement. The dealer wanted 3 hours to re-charge it to above the threshold minimum and then up to max charge. The problem from many forum feeds all pointed to the VARTA battery. I never had any trouble starting the car and I took delivery in January in NH. Even on below zero days it always started right up with no problems. I insisted on a new AGM battery and they put in a MOPAR battery........never a problem since. A lot of the early problems, such as mine, were due to cars sitting on a dealers lot for to long. While the cars would start, the batteries fell below the threshold requirements and didn't charge back up to maximum. That's what I have been told and it may be correct or not. In any event, my car has worked without any problems since the battery was changed!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts