Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I let my almost new battery run down. Not flat (I had two lights illuminated on my C-Tech charger) but the car wouldn't start. I hooked up my C-Tech charger directly to the battery and tried starting it again. Instead of starting, all of the indicator lights started flashing, the speed and tach needles rotated back and forth and the interior and parking lights turned on and wouldn't turn off.
I decided to leave the charger attached and wait until tomorrow morning to see if the car would start and the electrics return to normal.
What should I be doing? I'm very worried.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I let my almost new battery run down. Not flat (I had two lights illuminated on my C-Tech charger) but the car wouldn't start. I hooked up my C-Tech charger directly to the battery and tried starting it again. Instead of starting, all of the indicator lights started flashing, the speed and tach needles rotated back and forth and the interior and parking lights turned on and wouldn't turn off.
I decided to leave the charger attached and wait until tomorrow morning to see if the car would start and the electrics return to normal.
What should I be doing? I'm very worried.
That is completely normal behaviour.....
Your c-tech charger can only supply a very limited charge current, no way near enough to start the car. The starting motor uses a huge current. So if your battery is (near) empty, you cannot use a c-tech as starting aid.
You will need to wait till the c-tech has put sufficient charge into the battery before you can start the car, as you have found out ;)

That's assuming the battery is ok of course.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never expected the C-Tec charger to start the Stelvio even with a partially discharged battery.

What worried me was to continue charging with the C-Tec while the interior and parking lights would not turn off.

I decided to keep the charger on because I didn't really have a choice but I was worried that charging into a weird electrical situation might damage something. The car is at another location and I can't monitor it overnight.

I posted in case I was doing something that would really backfire and someone might tell me.

·
Registered
424 Posts
What worried me was to continue charging with the C-Tec while the interior and parking lights would not turn off.
Trying to start with a low battery will cause the battery voltage to dip really low, screwing up the bodycomputer etc. as these computer systems don't like too low voltages, causing the symptoms you saw/see such as problems with lights, error indications etc.
All lights and a lot of other things are controlled by the bodycomputer.
Charging the battery should sort the problems, otherwise you might need to reset by disconnecting negative pole of battery for 10 minutes or so.
This might however subsequently cause some error/warning indications upon reconnecting, however, these should reset after a couple of starts.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Long term, either a low or high voltage situation can toast the electronics. Short term it causes weirdnesses like you experianced but is not permenently damaging.

Wouldn't suggest doing it again but you should be fine.

Generally rule of thumb though, just to be safe...when the battery is low you either want to supply enough current to jump start the system properly or leave the battery alone till a charger can charge it enough to power itself. This is more of a "better safe than sorry" type of thing and is just good habit, breaking the rule a few times really shouldn't effect a new car...just dont do it all the time.

Dont stress, go drive!!

Wouldn't suggest disconnecting the battery yourself though...IF there is an issue after it will require a dealer trip for a reset and possibly reflash of the system which will most definitly not be covered under warrenty. Just start the car, if there is a problem go to the dealer to get the lights trurned off/system reset if it doesn't reset itself after a few miles of driving. If your lucky the dealer will warrenty/good will the job..start mucking around under the hood and screw something up/it doesn't work right...you can guarentee the dealer will charge you up the wazoo once they find out. Just my experiance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts