Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Subaru to Alfa

5K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  JRC1978 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! As a long time Subaru enthusiast and having owned several of their vehicles (still have heavily modded WRX), the wife and I decided to try something different. We will be picking up an Alfa white 2019 Stelvio Ti Sport AWD tonight. We're pretty excited. I hope we don't experience the Italian woes. We're trading in a 2015 Forester XT Touring w/ 79k on it. ZERO issues. Wow though...that Stelvio test drive really pulled us in.
Went w/ Sport package, Nero Edizione package, Driver Assist, yellow brake calipers, sunroof, etc. Those sport seats are amazing. Looking forward to the new experience! 'No Ragrets!'

#2 ·
I traded in a 2013 Outback for my base Stelvio 6 months ago. I tell people that ask about it that I decided to downsize from the Outback.

The driving fun is a given and never gets old. So far no woes, Italian or otherwise.

My first new car purchase was a 1969 red Spider (Duetto) but I eventually sold it in the 1970s as it wasn't the most practical car for me at that time in my life. Then recently the Stelvio appeared and now 50 years after my first Alfa, I have a car with the practical features of the Outback and the driving fun of the Spider.

If I now happened across a used red Duetto I would be tempted to get it too. Then I could take part in the annual Red Duetto Tour.

#3 ·
Hi and welcome! I too came from driving a Forester (2006 XT with Prodrive PP) via a Land Rover Discovery 4 to the Stelvio. At +30,000 km I have zero regrets! And btw, the combination Stelvio/Spider is highly recommended; I have that and other members here too :)

Reactions: rclaussen
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcome! It's good to hear you have no regrets. I was a little apprehensive. A good friend of mine works for FCA (pretty high up) and his wife drives a Stelvio as well. We kinda got the idea from him. In all honesty, the trade offer on our XT really made the difference. They offered 2k more than anyone else. I am absolutely astounded by the voodoo that is the suspension. It handles so well while also being compliant...even on these terrible Michigan roads. Amazing!
A few rainy pics of the new ride.

#5 ·
Very nice, congrats and enjoy it. Got my new 2019 Stelvio Sport----Verde Visconti Green----a month ago and look for excuses just to drive it. In your owner's manual, pay close attention to the engine break in period. Easy for the first 300 mi, then, get this, from 300-500 miles it says to push it hard at times (full rpm range) using the paddle shifters. So I did, several times. Could not remove the smile from my face. Damn that was/is fun---so easy to go fast. Best handling car I have ever owned and I traded in a 2018 VW GTI for this (that I loved too). I simply could not resist the emotional pull of the Stelvio. My wife says this is my Italian girlfriend, even though it is not a Giulia. Have fun.

#9 ·
Thank you! I like that green! Not an easy color to pull off. I haven't seen one like that. Yes, the break-in was weird. We're past it now. Time to enjoy! Dynamic mode is FUN! It does handle amazingly flat. I even had fun around some traffic circles this past weekend. Impressive. I can imagine trading a GTI for a Stelvio is a bit different. However, in terms of SUVs/CUVs...it's less of a trade-off w/ the Stelvio.

#7 ·
LOL, my wife calls mine "Stella." Funny, she drove it for the first time yesterday. Now, she is definitely not a car person and sees these big pieces of metal with four wheels as basic transportation, nothing more. She gets home after being on the freeway and says, "wow, Stella goes fast and you don't even realize it."

#11 ·
Some minor complaints now that we have mileage on it.
1. Brake modulation is weird and a bit inconsistent
2. Still wish we had front fog light option (we get fog!)
3. Blind spots are pretty severe
4. Still some cheapish materials inside for the price point
5. Didn't want NAV/Don't need NAV, but got NAV (dealer lot) / it's garbage though
6. Steering feel isn't firm enough for my tastes
7. Wish paddles moved w/ steering wheel (at least they're big)

Think that's about it so far. All very livable and minor at the end of the day.

#12 ·
Blind spot warning was high on my list and I have it on mine. Works fine for me but sometimes reacts to stationary cars when I make a left turn past them. I don't really like the Magneti Marelli Nav either. 90s graphics--lame. FCA U-Connect would be much better. Never used it and don't plan on it---I just use Android Auto exclusively. Yeah, I knew about the brake by wire set up long before I purchased. Took a little getting used to. Works great at higher speeds---smooth and effective. But stop and go in traffic requires all my attention--can be tricky. I'm fine with the paddles on the column b/c at least I always know where they are. Personally, I love the directness of the steering. The only other car that had steering close to this was the VW GTI I just traded in. Before that, mostly lame family/people movers with numb everything. Guess that's why I like the steering---is clearly a big step up for me. My only other complaints right now: I have the standard seats and they do not have vertical angle adjustment for legs like the sport seats do. Also, my heater blower sometimes makes a faint squeal at low fan speed. Not always, and not loud, but noticeable. Will have it checked out at first service. I agree with you---all very livable things. Plus, it's the drive, man! Most smiles per mile than any car I have ever owned, by far.

#14 ·
That sucks. Was BSM on your window sticker ? It is part of a package that also includes cross traffic alert. If the hardware (sensors and mirrors with warning light) are not on your car, then it won't be a software fix.

#18 ·
I just bought a 2019 TI this week and here's what my sticker says...

Looks like it's included with auto-dimming exterior mirrors so if you have that package it comes with it I guess that's the little yellow triangle in your side mirrors.... I thought that came standard but maybe it's not. Totally agree about it is hard to see out of I can't imagine driving without it.

#20 ·
Wife & I decided to take a road trip in the Alfa Stelvio. We needed a break from the home bound Covid stir craziness. We headed to Estes Park in Colorado just outside the Rocky Mountain National Park.
It is absolutely the most comfortable road trip car I’ve ever driven.
No aches, no pains, no constant adjustments. The sport seats are worth every penny.
It performed flawlessly. About 2950 mile trip from MI to CO. Avg’d 26.2 mpg. Consider 91 octane west of Mississippi and altitude in CO. Say it again...amazingly comfortable. I drove the entire time. Sure do love the dynamic/smart cruise. Worked great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.