Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am having an issue with my 2021 Stelvio. When driving at any speed, over small/medium bumps in the road, there is a distinct noise coming from the drivers side B Pillar. It is basically to the left at ear level and slightly behind my head, which points to the seatbelt adjustable mount area. It sounds almost like a paper clip rattling or a small spring rattling inside the column. Has anyone experienced this? I have a service appointment on Thursday. It’s not constant but when it is happening it is quite distracting. Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think I replied to this on another thread with the same issue but mines right hand drive and in my right ear, I have ultra sensitive hearing for some frequencies and was driving me nuts.. mine sounds like a wrist watching ticking and was definitely coming from the seat belt mechanism at the top, you can even move the angle of seatbelt as it comes out of the housing to stop it.. it mainly happened when it was dry humidity .... for some reason it has stopped but that might be because all we get is rain in the UK recently.. I have a 2018 Speciale

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Base RWD
633 Posts
I have a rattle in my hatch(2000 miles on the car), driver side. I will need to open it up and check what is going on in there.
I also hear something faint in the dash as well. But, I did not pay attention yet, from where the rattle comes from.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a rattle in my hatch(2000 miles on the car), driver side. I will need to open it up and check what is going on in there.
I also hear something faint in the dash as well. But, I did not pay attention yet, from where the rattle comes from.
my 18 just developed a strange sound on drivers side and I can’t locate it just yet. these nvh issues drive me crazy so I’ll find it, but it sounds like an empty plastic bottle rattling around.

·
Registered
93 Posts
@Kenski I had the EXACT same issue with my 18 Stelvio - drove me nuts. I brought it in and remember the tech taking the B pillar apart. I don’t remember exactly what he did from there but whatever he did it worked, so....it can be fixed! Keep us posted and good luck! 🙂
No doubt it’s the belt tensioner in b pillar. Alpha of Knoxville will be fixing it soon!

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I replied to this on another thread with the same issue but mines right hand drive and in my right ear, I have ultra sensitive hearing for some frequencies and was driving me nuts.. mine sounds like a wrist watching ticking and was definitely coming from the seat belt mechanism at the top, you can even move the angle of seatbelt as it comes out of the housing to stop it.. it mainly happened when it was dry humidity .... for some reason it has stopped but that might be because all we get is rain in the UK recently.. I have a 2018 Speciale
Same thing here, it does sound like a wrist watch ticking. It must be the seat belt tensioner?

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Kenski I had the EXACT same issue with my 18 Stelvio - drove me nuts. I brought it in and remember the tech taking the B pillar apart. I don’t remember exactly what he did from there but whatever he did it worked, so....it can be fixed! Keep us posted and good luck! 🙂
In response to this thread, I examined the b pillar on my my18 stelvio where it was clicking. All in it was an easy fix. Took me about an hour since I wasn't sure what I needed to do at first. Here is what I did, ymmv:

1) remove bottom of b pillar trim (there are two pullout connectors at the bottom (one on each side). I used a trim removal tool to find and leverage the trim out. There is enough play I didn't need to remove the top mounts of the trim piece.
2) the trouble spot is the seat belt yoke that redirects it down to the retractor. The seat belt yoke is on a single bolt that allows it to pivot. The yoke is secured by a spring washer and a black nut. The nut has loctite. I assume the nut is cranked to give the spring washer the right pressure on the seat belt yoke to prevent the clicking but in my case the clicking was easy to reproduce so the spring washer was too loose or weak.
3) in theory you can remove the black nut, reapply loctite and tighten the spring washer a bit more than it was before. That's probably the best solution so the pivot can still occur. I didn't have any loctite on hand so I threw a rubber washer in there and cranked the black nut onto it. It stopped the sound but because of how I did it the seat belt yoke doesn't pivot freely. I positioned the yoke where it needs to be and the seat belt performs great (retracts, sits on shoulder great) without the sound.

In retrospect I bet there is a repair manual or tsb out there with instructions on how much to tighten the nut so the spring washer does it's job correctly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts