Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving on the highway, my wife and I suddenly heard a loud explosion and saw black glass flying everywhere. It sounded like a bomb went off. We realized that the sunroof on our stelvio suddenly exploded. Thank god we managed to safely pull over to the nearest shoulder, no one hurt.

We thought something must've hit our car to cause the glass to shatter this way, even though it happened in split seconds, but after inspecting the damage it seems like nothing actually hit our car. The damage was mostly around the frame, as seen in the photos taken immediately after this happened.

We finally got our car towed to the nearest dealer. Since the dealer did not have any loaners available they gave us a rental from enterprise. Although this turned our 2-day mini vacation into 1-day, we're beyond thankful that we are safe and unhurt, thank god.

The dealership said they are surprised to see this as it does not seem like anything hit it, and said they will file a claim with Alfa Romeo USA to have them cover the damage under Warranty.

After a few days, we received the following message from the dealership stating the response from AR: "Because we cannot prove or diagnose the cause of the failure, the repairs will not be covered, and you will need to reach out to your insurance". Additionally they informed me that they are not covering the rental car for those few days and that I need to pay for it or make an insurance claim.

I called Alfa Romeo customer service several times to try having a conversation to try to have them reconsider covering the damage or at least the few rental days... and was only told that the decision came from "Upper management" and it cannot be reversed.

I find it ironic that the reason Alfa Romeo USA is not covering the damage is because they cannot find a reason for the cause. This SHOULD BE THE REASON they should not only cover it, but should investigate further for a possible recall.

It seems that Alfa Romeo USA cares more about their image, and legal burdens of a possible recall, rather than face the issue and prevent future incidents where folks may not be as lucky as my wife and I were.

I hope that ALFA ROMEO decides to reverse course and take the safety of their customers first before their image.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
That is a strange break. Just around the seam.

Did you have the A/C on high, fresh air setting and all the windows and sunroof closed? Supossed to crack a window to avoid breakage due to pressure, most people don't though. I forget sometimes and do it.

When was the picture taken? Breaking on the freeway, surprised to see so much loose glass still on the roof.

Totally agree on the warranty coverage. Would be interested in seeing the letter. We have had a couple reports of sunroofs breaking over the last few years, but this is the first it wasn't replaced.

·
Registered
135 Posts
it could be bad alignment of glass which caused tension and made it shatter or some debris has bin lifted by another car from road. it's enough for some small porcelain or ceramic piece to hit glass and it will shatter instantly - don't need brick or stone to do that.

·
Registered
750 Posts
It happens unfortunately. Rear decklid glass and sunroofs can have this happen.

Heres some threads with people on it you can reach out to for advice.

Yes alfa should be stepping up. Its a 7k dollar repair.

·
Registered
135 Posts
it's definitely not 7k USD repair job to replace moving glass part. it's sold separately and can be replaced and aligned in an hour time even doing it for the first time with espresso break.
it'll take longer to clean up all that shattered glass

·
Registered
750 Posts
it's definitely not 7k USD repair job to replace moving glass part. it's sold separately and can be replaced and aligned in an hour time even doing it for the first time with espresso break.
it'll take longer to clean up all that shattered glass
Thats what the dealer charged alfa for it for that guy

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thats what the dealer charged alfa for it for that guy
would be interesting to see full bill how they justify that price unless they were replacing whole roof after tree fell on car.

so far only problems I heard of or encountered were shattered moving glass and damaged rails. from what I can see front glass part is roughly 1100USD, rail is ~600USD each, in EU I paid ~700EUR per rail.
interesting that for the whole roof assembly price is shown as ~3200USD #1 but not sure if I can trust those prices.

·
Registered
750 Posts
would be interesting to see full bill how they justify that price unless they were replacing whole roof after tree fell on car.

so far only problems I heard of or encountered were shattered moving glass and damaged rails. from what I can see front glass part is roughly 1100USD, rail is ~600USD each, in EU I paid ~700EUR per rail.
interesting that for the whole roof assembly price is shown as ~3200USD #1 but not sure if I can trust those prices.

View attachment 23059

Yeah im guessing theres a ton of 170/hr labor fluff too. Who knows.

I had a few audis with the torque vectoring sport diff and if they failed they are a 5k dollar part....for a diff. Luckily you can grab them in junk yards for 700 bucks

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
That is a strange break. Just around the seam.

Did you have the A/C on high, fresh air setting and all the windows and sunroof closed? Supossed to crack a window to avoid breakage due to pressure, most people don't though. I forget sometimes and do it.

When was the picture taken? Breaking on the freeway, surprised to see so much loose glass still on the roof.

Totally agree on the warranty coverage. Would be interested in seeing the letter. We have had a couple reports of sunroofs breaking over the last few years, but this is the first it wasn't replaced.
Never heard of, or read anything like that in my life. Please show me that in ANY manual. That is what the (rear) distal vents are for. Bet they are blocked. Or driving with 1 window open can cause major low WOW affect in many new cars, though usually that is with sunroof wide open which acts like a port
I also hate the fact that every large vehicle has these things now. A fixed glass would be plenty for me. Most I ever use it is to crack it on hot days when out but in Alfa damn sunscreen draws back 50% so the sun bakes in even more.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Mmm..being a dentist you've probably heard things about oral hygiene I've never heard. How that works.

I don't Remember the exact manual, it might have been for a VW Beetle for all I remember. After the first 100 owners manual/shop manual/tsb/recall notice, etc.... they all run together unless it was the most recent one, or what you currently drive. At least for me.

Regardless, you are right and most vehicles are designed to not be air tight, which is what causes the issue with glass breakage (also compressor and blower strength) however....things don't always work as designed/the design isn't always the best, which is why I ask the question.

Questions help find answers even ones that don't always make sense/have a good chance of being wrong. The basis of my thought process for investigation of auto problems, or where my keys are, starts with what I learned as a child reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, as such I don't rule things put (regardless of how unlikely or strange) untill I know they are wrong. Not interested in always being right. Interested in solving the problem...sometimes you gotta be wrong a few times before you find the right thing.

Just want to rule out easy answers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the exact same experience on my 2017 BMW X5. Mine was parked in my garage and I heard a huge bang, and explosion. I went out to find the sunroof had exploded into a million small pieces. NOTHING hit the roof, nothing. BMW took the same stance, but my dealer (Knauz, in the chicago market) covered the cost - they are an amazing place to do business with, too bad they don't do Alfa.

Joe

While driving on the highway, my wife and I suddenly heard a loud explosion and saw black glass flying everywhere. It sounded like a bomb went off. We realized that the sunroof on our stelvio suddenly exploded. Thank god we managed to safely pull over to the nearest shoulder, no one hurt.

We thought something must've hit our car to cause the glass to shatter this way, even though it happened in split seconds, but after inspecting the damage it seems like nothing actually hit our car. The damage was mostly around the frame, as seen in the photos taken immediately after this happened.

We finally got our car towed to the nearest dealer. Since the dealer did not have any loaners available they gave us a rental from enterprise. Although this turned our 2-day mini vacation into 1-day, we're beyond thankful that we are safe and unhurt, thank god.

The dealership said they are surprised to see this as it does not seem like anything hit it, and said they will file a claim with Alfa Romeo USA to have them cover the damage under Warranty.

After a few days, we received the following message from the dealership stating the response from AR: "Because we cannot prove or diagnose the cause of the failure, the repairs will not be covered, and you will need to reach out to your insurance". Additionally they informed me that they are not covering the rental car for those few days and that I need to pay for it or make an insurance claim.

I called Alfa Romeo customer service several times to try having a conversation to try to have them reconsider covering the damage or at least the few rental days... and was only told that the decision came from "Upper management" and it cannot be reversed.

I find it ironic that the reason Alfa Romeo USA is not covering the damage is because they cannot find a reason for the cause. This SHOULD BE THE REASON they should not only cover it, but should investigate further for a possible recall.

It seems that Alfa Romeo USA cares more about their image, and legal burdens of a possible recall, rather than face the issue and prevent future incidents where folks may not be as lucky as my wife and I were.

I hope that ALFA ROMEO decides to reverse course and take the safety of their customers first before their image. View attachment 23058

·
Registered
578 Posts

I hope that ALFA ROMEO decides to reverse course and take the safety of their customers first before their image. View attachment 23058
Hey Levi,

We're super sorry to learn about this unfortunate event that happened to you. We'd like to look into your situation to see what we can do to assist. At your convenience, please send our team a private message with your VIN and any relevant details. Thanks in advance!

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Levi,

We're super sorry to learn about this unfortunate event that happened to you. We'd like to look into your situation to see what we can do to assist. At your convenience, please send our team a private message with your VIN and any relevant details. Thanks in advance!

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares
Courtney - You sent this exact message to my facebook post a week ago, I followed your instructions and sent a private message with my VIN and details. To date, I still did not receive any response.
Rather than post this response on a public forum to help your "image", an actual response and resolution would be a lot more helpful. I am attaching a screenshot of your response one week ago for all to see.
My wife and I have been thrown under the bus by @AlfaRomeoCares as well as from the dealership. To date, the dealership said they will charge me for the 4 days of the rental even though they provided it bc they were out of loaners. They blamed it on Alfa Romeo Corporate, and when we spoke to corporate they told us the exact opposite and said the dealership should be covering the rental since they provided it instead of a loaner.
It is becoming evident that @AlfaRomeoCares should perhaps remove the word "Cares" as your actions are showing exactly the opposite thus far.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Courtney - You sent this exact message to my facebook post a week ago, I followed your instructions and sent a private message with my VIN and details. To date, I still did not receive any response.
Rather than post this response on a public forum to help your "image", an actual response and resolution would be a lot more helpful. I am attaching a screenshot of your response one week ago for all to see.
My wife and I have been thrown under the bus by @AlfaRomeoCares as well as from the dealership. To date, the dealership said they will charge me for the 4 days of the rental even though they provided it bc they were out of loaners. They blamed it on Alfa Romeo Corporate, and when we spoke to corporate they told us the exact opposite and said the dealership should be covering the rental since they provided it instead of a loaner.
It is becoming evident that @AlfaRomeoCares should perhaps remove the word "Cares" as your actions are showing exactly the opposite thus far.

View attachment 23135
Levi,

We've been experiencing some complications with receiving messages, so we apologize for the delay. However, we've reached out to you both privately in FB messages, as well as in the forums. Please follow up in our private Facebook messages so we can help you get this properly resolved.

Thanks,

Courtney
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
10 Posts

Ok so I had this same exact sunroof explosion experience today! I'm new here and have been lurking for a month or so. Just bought a 2019 Alfa Stelvio TI. Emerald Green with Chocolate interior.

So I'm driving down a smooth tollway with very limited traffic but no one directly in front of me and all the sudden it sounded like a shotgun went off in my backseat. Scared the hell out of me. I can't stress enough how loud this was. If you've had a blow out with the windows down, it's about 2x that but inside the car....right above your head.

60mph, sunroof and screen completely closed, smooth highway, very low traffic. I only opened the sunroof 1 time in the month I've had the car and that was about 2.5 weeks ago.

I've shown the dealership and they said it may or may not be covered by warranty. It will have to be reviewed by the someone at Alfa to determine (Alfa Care?). I'm dropping it off tomorrow so they can dig deeper into it and start the process but initial look at it, they believe it to be defective or inaccurate height adjustments of where the glass comes to rest. As if it was being pulled down too far causing constant pressure on the edges where it eventually gave in. Seems logical, I know nothing hit it from above.

I was told that the sunroof would take until Nov 22nd to be delivered. Which is crazy. I have a feeling that this is going to be a finger pointing contest regarding who is financially responsible for this. It seems like a clear warranty issue and not an insurance claim.

Does anyone have a definitive result from their experience with this?
Water Hood Azure Sky Automotive exterior

Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Blue

·
Registered
578 Posts
Ok so I had this same exact sunroof explosion experience today! I'm new here and have been lurking for a month or so. Just bought a 2019 Alfa Stelvio TI. Emerald Green with Chocolate interior.

So I'm driving down a smooth tollway with very limited traffic but no one directly in front of me and all the sudden it sounded like a shotgun went off in my backseat. Scared the hell out of me. I can't stress enough how loud this was. If you've had a blow out with the windows down, it's about 2x that but inside the car....right above your head.

60mph, sunroof and screen completely closed, smooth highway, very low traffic. I only opened the sunroof 1 time in the month I've had the car and that was about 2.5 weeks ago.

I've shown the dealership and they said it may or may not be covered by warranty. It will have to be reviewed by the someone at Alfa to determine (Alfa Care?). I'm dropping it off tomorrow so they can dig deeper into it and start the process but initial look at it, they believe it to be defective or inaccurate height adjustments of where the glass comes to rest. As if it was being pulled down too far causing constant pressure on the edges where it eventually gave in. Seems logical, I know nothing hit it from above.

I was told that the sunroof would take until Nov 22nd to be delivered. Which is crazy. I have a feeling that this is going to be a finger pointing contest regarding who is financially responsible for this. It seems like a clear warranty issue and not an insurance claim.

Does anyone have a definitive result from their experience with this? View attachment 23611

View attachment 23609 View attachment 23610
Hi Zoobugs,
We're very sorry to hear you experienced this concern. We'd be happy to provide additional assistance alongside your dealer, feel free to send us a PM.

Sarah
Alfa Romeo Cares

·
Registered
127 Posts

Does anyone have a definitive result from their experience with this? View attachment 23611

View attachment 23609 View attachment 23610
No doubt a defect , i woulnt even let them try to BS me. Constant pressure around the peremeter of the glass.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No doubt a defect , i woulnt even let them try to BS me. Constant pressure around the peremeter of the glass.
Right!? The tech and service guy are in agreement that it couldn't have been caused by me or the driving conditions but at the same time warned me that Alfa could very well deny the warranty claim. Wtf. I appreciate the heads up but this seems like a no brainer to do right by the customer. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts