Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Right!? The tech and service guy are in agreement that it couldn't have been caused by me or the driving conditions but at the same time warned me that Alfa could very well deny the warranty claim. Wtf. I appreciate the heads up but this seems like a no brainer to do right by the customer. Thanks for the reply.
FWIW this is not uncommon in panoramic sunroofs, and it goes across many brands, while the local dealer may initially balk and suggest that they "need more proof" corporate will usually come through and authorize the replacement.

I know this from the cluster of Veloster sunroof disintegrations, the dealers were tending to say "nothing we can do, act of god" and were soon over ruled by corporate. Eventually it became more than a cluster and they found an assembly issue that was putting undue pressure on the glass in assembly, but for the first year that wasn't known.

·
Registered
10 Posts
FWIW this is not uncommon in panoramic sunroofs, and it goes across many brands, while the local dealer may initially balk and suggest that they "need more proof" corporate will usually come through and authorize the replacement.

I know this from the cluster of Veloster sunroof disintegrations, the dealers were tending to say "nothing we can do, act of god" and were soon over ruled by corporate. Eventually it became more than a cluster and they found an assembly issue that was putting undue pressure on the glass in assembly, but for the first year that wasn't known.
This is the opposite. The dealer (service rep) notified the regional Alfa manager Nick Tucker of the issue who then replied in an emailed to the dealer and told them it WILL NOT be covered by warranty, that it had to have been external. Which is absolutely false. They hadn't even started taking it apart to see what could have caused it before he made that decision. This all seems shady. Why would you want pissed off brand new customers over a $1,400-$3k issue?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes a f....... meteorite hit your car right around the perimeter of the glass. Thats BS but its not an Alfa thing. Its a "**** homini lupus" thing..the only purpose for that regional manager is to deny as many claims as possible. alfa saves 3000 grand, the dealership makes 3000 grand, you the customer who paid for the product gets screwed. When you sell about 15000 cars a year didnt think you can afford to lose any customers, makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Local news have a consumer "ripoff" segment?

Have you called the Better Business Bureau? They can't do alot but sometimes managers will relent just to not get the phone calls.

Last option: Put your tax dollars to work. The Attorney General's Office in your state very likely has a hotline just for auto warranty problems. If they don't, just call the State Attorney General's main number and file a complaint. It really isn't as simple as someone at corporate deciding where to place blame, there are legal protocols. The manufacturer must prove you did it, not just look at a picture and say it. (Especially since the picture really doesn't look like anything other than a defect of some sort, be prepared there will have to be a legitimate inspection though)

My guess is the Alfa corp guy's bonus is based on saving money spent on warranty and he is being overly aggressive. Alfa leadership has stated increasing profit is a top goal. (Not excusing it, this is the wrong way to do that)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I spoke to the regional manager. Surprisingly he called me back. He stated that his engineering team says there's no way that tempered glass would break without external force like even a pebble could have caused it. I asked him to explain how he made the determination before the technician had even dug into the problem to see if anything else was going on with it. Like, you guys just going to slap another glass back on their and roll it on out with potential to happen again? A pebble hit it? If every time a pebble hit a healthy normal tempered glass and caused that to happen, there would be tons of cars with the same issue and they wouldn't even put sunroofs on any cars. I mean why not just put armored glass for windshield and windows...idk. He finally said, "I'm not a mechanic and I don't know if something else could also be causing it." So he keeps tripping himself and his stance up but in the end he said, look I appreciate you being calm and cool about this, let me talk to my engineer team again and I'll work with you somehow and thst most people he talks to dog cuss him and flip out etc, I didn't even realize you had a certified pre owned (not sure why that particularly matters). Went on to say maybe a pebble hit it on delivery to the dealership in FT. Worth, I don't know. I just told him, look dude people are pissed when they have to deal with this stuff so I dont blame them for reacting emotionally, especially on issues with a luxury vehicle they pay hard earned money for. If you want to grow in the U.S., you need to be doing right by your customers.. especially brand new ones.

Ultimately it's been less than a month, it looks like a raw deal and I'm just not a happy customer. He's supposed to call me tomorrow to let me know how he's "going to help me". I take that as basically let me ask MY higher ups how much I can help since you aren't going to give up on this very easily. It's a shtty situation to be in and to feel somewhat "lucky" to have the company "help me" after I climb the ladder in complaints isn't good for them or my confidence in Alfa.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If he comes back with anything besides a yes, ask him how he thinks the State Attorney General's Office would respond to this.

According to the law he must prove it was an external force. Not suspect. Do stay calm and polite, don't roll over. Minimally the vehicle needs an inspection, looking at a picture is not enough to diagnose anything. By anyone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If he comes back with anything besides a yes, ask him how he thinks the State Attorney General's Office would respond to this.

According to the law he must prove it was an external force. Not suspect. Do stay calm and polite, don't roll over. Minimally the vehicle needs an inspection, looking at a picture is not enough to diagnose anything. By anyone.
I completely agree. I was very direct yet polite. Honestly I think my approach and having just a little more research than the average on the issue is part of why he decided to work with me.

With the way this has all gone so far, I fully expect a call with an offer to split cost excluding the rental (because "they don't have a loaner available yet"). They will then just replace the glass which is roughly 925$ and 1.5 hour [email protected]/hr, but they will say it needs the glide tubes and bolts, and some other sht (which would all but confirm a pebble wasn't the cause). But they will basically rack the repair up to about double so I am essentially paying for the glass and labor, while they don't really do the other stuff. Also, idk if I can get rental reimbursement if it's not technically a warranty claim. So that will be at least another 500$ +.

I will definitely ask him about the attorney Gen.

IF he says sorry there's nothing I can do for you I tried but we can't justify it. Whew boy... I'll tell him " well here's what I can do for you becsuse you as a regional manager tried your best. Since you really went out of your way to help me out. I can spend all my free time in the next 2 weeks going to every forum, Google review, Edmunds, KBB, consumer reports, any place that potential buyer might search and thoroughly break down in full detail this experience providing costs, date and times and names as well as correspondence during this process. And to help him, I can spend some time in front of the dealership and when I see potential buyers, I can ask if they would like my very recent neg experience before they buy." It's the least I could do as a customer who has been extremely hassled but had a Cpl people "see what they could do" to help me.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Attorney General's Office can hand out millions in fines, take the dealership franchise and more.

Just saying, easy phone call to a public servant whose salary you pay anyway, and who would probably enjoy going after a car dealer/manufacturer.

Truth is, they don't care about online reviews. Stupid but true.

As far as standing in front of the dealer.....years ago when running my family's auto shop a used car dealer hired us to repair the brakes on some cars for sale. When I gave him the estimate he refused because he wanted cheaper quality brakes that cost less..which I wouldn't use due to my own standards.

He took the cars back and had them "fixed" by a shadetree mechanic. But put signs all over his property saying his cars were worked on at my shop.

Long story short, I wound up greeting people on the sidewalk and explaining he was a cheapskate and a liar. All I can say about that is...be prepared for a fistfight, a real fight not a dude yelling and shoving, a dude swinging for your head, probably when your back is turned.

Calling legal representation is better. Trust me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Attorney General's Office can hand out millions in fines, take the dealership franchise and more.

Just saying, easy phone call to a public servant whose salary you pay anyway, and who would probably enjoy going after a car dealer/manufacturer.

Truth is, they don't care about online reviews. Stupid but true.

As far as standing in front of the dealer.....years ago when running my family's auto shop a used car dealer hired us to repair the brakes on some cars for sale. When I gave him the estimate he refused because he wanted cheaper quality brakes that cost less..which I wouldn't use due to my own standards.

He took the cars back and had them "fixed" by a shadetree mechanic. But put signs all over his property saying his cars were worked on at my shop.

Long story short, I wound up greeting people on the sidewalk and explaining he was a cheapskate and a liar. All I can say about that is...be prepared for a fistfight, a real fight not a dude yelling and shoving, a dude swinging for your head, probably when your back is turned.

Calling legal representation is better. Trust me.
Haha. Oh I'd welcome anything they thought was an appropriate action about me being there. Getting physical would be right down my alley in my mindstate. Plus I could sue for assault. I'm not worried about that, like, at all.

Clearly I don't want this issue to get to an extreme level and I've held my composure in a professional manner up to this point. I'm just willing to go further than most others if this aren't made right. I certainly thank you and the others for responding on this. I've gotten some good advice here because of it. I'll update more when I know more. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea, so no luck with any help from anyone at Alfa. Not a single person that you could possibly deal with in the entire process. Kinda shocking actually. Not exaggerating when I say it has been the worst vehicle related situation I have ever been involved in. They still have NO CLUE yet about when a glass will be delivered either and they've had it since Tuesday 8am. My insurance company is about to get involved at least.

I hope everyone else has a better experience and enjoys their cars. I'm listing this one for sale and or looking to trade it in as soon as I get it back. I can't risk any more interactions with this group for my own sanity.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
That is a strange break. Just around the seam.

Did you have the A/C on high, fresh air setting and all the windows and sunroof closed? Supossed to crack a window to avoid breakage due to pressure, most people don't though. I forget sometimes and do it.

When was the picture taken? Breaking on the freeway, surprised to see so much loose glass still on the roof.

Totally agree on the warranty coverage. Would be interested in seeing the letter. We have had a couple reports of sunroofs breaking over the last few years, but this is the first it wasn't replaced.
Never in my life have I heard or read about opening a window..........is that in manual? total CYA move.

Reactions: Zoobugs

·
Registered
63 Posts
.... The regional manager in your area needs a spanking.
Based on my own recent warranty experience the Alfa regional managers seem to have a lot of leeway in the decision making process. My suggestion in your case would be to contact the dealership general manager and have one last conversation prior to going to your attorney general...because once you go down the legal route there is no turning back.

In my case the dealership GM had no idea I was having an issue with a warranty claim being denied. I would think most legit dealers would prefer not to go to court as legal fees tend to add up quickly. YMMV....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Based on my own recent warranty experience the Alfa regional managers seem to have a lot of leeway in the decision making process. My suggestion in your case would be to contact the dealership general manager and have one last conversation prior to going to your attorney general...because once you go down the legal route there is no turning back.

In my case the dealership GM had no idea I was having an issue with a warranty claim being denied. I would think most legit dealers would prefer not to go to court as legal fees tend to add up quickly. YMMV....
Going to attorney General isn't really doing anything besides adding to a database for future trends etc. They aren't representing you or anything. They aren't going to stop down and call the dealer or regional and do anything that is going to help you. Maybe if there were enough cases that added up over time they would call but I just wanted to see what would happen and log the info.

The regional manager isn't going to do anything at this point. It's more of his job to decline fringe warranty issues than to help keep customers happy and confident in their purchase. The service manager is, well claims to be upset at him because even though the reviews I gave on their site effect them, the reg mgr doesn't care because it doesn't effect him much since he deals more in after sales. I mean the regional manager lied a cpl times to me and the service Mgr and I caught him in one of them which I think made him more stubborn about the situation.

It's a full on sht show and to top it off the service idiots order and had alfa care expedite the wrong glass and now they have to order a new one. They waited until 5pm Friday to tell me. I went straight up there and made them sort me out a loaner. Not being nice to all these hacks anymore. It's more like a tote the note type used car company than a luxury sports manufacturer/ dealers.

While they are hustling to get me a loaner off the lot and because I refused to go to the waiting room, I get to see a guy pull in with a Giulia and his sunroof is stuck open and won't close. I just start laughing and proceed to tell him my journey. The service dumb dumb looks at it and says yea this happens a lot, I can have you in and out but we can't do it until Tuesday. The customer says what the hell am I going to do until then, What if it rains?. Service dummy says, well it's probably not gonna rain but yea...I mean I can have you in and out probably on Tuesday. Like wtf kind of answer is that to a very legitimate question? I shake my head and wish him good luck and hop in my fn VW Jetta loaner and peel out of the garage.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The stuck sunroof is particularly sad cause there is a known reset procedure. This is from the Giulia forum.

1. With the engine running, press the close button (passenger side) on the sunroof even if it is closed already.
2. Turn the engine off.
3. Wait a few seconds, then restart the engine.
4. Press and hold the close button for at least 10 seconds and you will hopefully here the sunroof motor start clicking.
5. Release the button (the manual does not include this instruction).
6. Within 5 seconds, press and hold the close button again. The roof should start to open. DO NOT RELEASE THE BUTTON until the roof completely opens and then closes again (the manual also does not include this instruction).
pretty well known on the forums for Alfa and most brands they all have a reset.

What the AG will do depends primarily on the AG....just adding to a database is good long term though. Regardless, you're right, this problem really doesn't seem to be handled well. Fingers crossed for a magical change...not just your case, Alfa dealer service in general....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any update on this? What was the final outcome regarding how AR handled the claim? I am interested because I have a sunroof on my new '21 and can just see something like this happening.

IMO, AR will change their accountability pretty quick when there is an accident and property loss, possibly fatalities involving investigation and litigation against AR. That has not happened yet but it is just a matter of time. Having a sunroof violently explode over ones head while merging across four lanes of congested traffic at 80mph could be seriously bad for ones health.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts