Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not interested in getting a Stelvio with a sunroof. Most of the Stelvios at the closest dealer to me have sunroofs, so that greatly limits my choices.

What do other people think about the advantages and/or disadvantages of a sunroof? Perhaps there are advantages that I'm not aware of.

My prejudice against them is the chance of leaks (it rains in Oregon), and more complexity in the sunroof mechanism that could cause troubles. Also, from the outside the roof is dark glass instead of body color.

Oh, and the closest dealer is an hour away. Three more are 4 to 6 hours away and after that is is several days drive away. The salesman is going to see if he can find something at another dealer, but I'm not holding out hope on that.

Tom

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have had sunroofs in maybe 6 vehicles, never had a leak or a malfunction. Anything can happen, but sunroofs are caveman tech at this point, and as reliable as anything on a new car... which is to say a certain percentage have problems but most dont. Maybe ask the dealer to run it through a car wash while you are inside to check for leaks, but given the stiffness of the Stelvio's structure of it isn't leaking when new it probably won't start later. Stuff breaking
....well...stuff does break sometimes but most of the time it is after many years..

Con..adds weight up high, messing up the center of gravity. Something to leave open. Then it rains in the middle of the night and you jump out of bed and run outside in your underwear to close...wife laughing...(never happened to me..totally talking about someone else....a guy some friend told me about at a party....yeah, thats it...)

Pros, lots of light, lets out hot air when parked, can be really nice to open along with all the windows driving around on a nice spring day.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Pro: light with the curtain back.
Con: weight and more weight... for performance.. is bad choice. (weight and upper the centre of gravity)

I have... but was really really under pressure with wife and 3 kids when factory order.

I wanted to have a black roof on white car... wrapping would did the trick.. but too much pressure.
If I could go back, I would not choose it for performance issue. I never open it. Hate leaking problems and dust and dirt on sunroof rails and that patch the drains... It is not a optional that I really like. I never use it.. so that I never know how it work and buttons, Always a mess. :grin:grin:grin:grin

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have had sunroofs on my last 5 cars, never had a leak (in the sunroof...). Main disadvantage to me was the reduced head room (I´m 6”5’).

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have had a sunroof in every car Ive owned for the past 20 years. Mostly GM cars, now the Stelvio. I have never had a leak, or any other problems related to a sunroof. For me it allows light in to an otherwise dark interior. Do whatever you need to do, but blaming a sunroof for issues is a non starter.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I would have been fine with fixed glass with a shade as I rarely open them for long. I do like glass all winter long.

Reactions: Flunx

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like leaking isn't really an issue. I hadn't thought of the extra weight affecting handling, but I doubt that I would notice the difference.

The black sunroof on a black car would look OK. Or as Flunx desired, a black roof on a white car. But I want a red car. Not a red car with a black roof. That's probably the biggest con for me.

Tom

·
Registered
228 Posts
I used to have one in my 1990 Saab 9000s. Great car but lousy sunroof, constant malfunction issues and it was more basic than the Stelvio sunroof. I've got a MY2018 Stelvio build date Oct17 but haven't had any issues with the sunroof after 13 months of ownership.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have had it in every vehicle the last 15 years. Even in the winter when its -15 I love having it open and the fresh air

The Stelvio has the entire glass roof so lets is a very nice amount of daylight all the time. The shade will help keep it cooler on hot summer days but those are few where I am.

So far after one year almost, no leaks or issues at all with the roof.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would have been fine with fixed glass with a shade as I rarely open them for long. I do like glass all winter long.
A fixed glass would be fine to me too. (no sunroof)
When you live near the sea... with salted air and sand and dust... it turn to "clay"... ehehehehehhe
I respect who like and use it like it should be. (not me.. the most is the shade back too have sun light or night view.)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here's a view to help. Personally, can't really see much of the roof from normal outside height (I'm 5'9") so doesn't make a difference to me. Wife definitely wanted it to provide more light for the black interior. I've always liked one for the airflow without having to open the side window. Your choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered my Stelvio Ti on 2/13/19. This is the first car that I've had without a sunroof since 1990. I didn't like the look of the dark glass on the Stromboli Gray exterior. I test drove one last summer and it seemed that the sunroof generated a lot of heat even though the shade was closed. The shade didn't block the light completely. I am anxiously waiting for my Stelvio to arrive this Summer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm rather tall (6' 4") so I tried searching for one without a sunroof for that reason, thinking I'd need the extra headroom. I wasn't able to find one, so mine has a sunroof and the headroom is still plentiful. I like that it lets in extra light, which seems to make the interior feel a little bigger and airier to me, and it does help to cool the interior down more quickly in summer since it gives the hot air a place to go.

I rarely drive with it open, but the extra light is something I enjoy. I don't mind that the roof is black compared to the rest of the vehicle; to me it works well as a nice contrast and I like it. (Mine also has the black trim surrounding the windows, despite not being a Nero edition, and also has factory-tinted rear windows).

It's all personal preference as far as the exterior looks, but functionally I wouldn't worry about leaks/breakage or lack of headroom. And I think you'd only notice a handling difference if you planned on tracking the vehicle... around town it'll still blow your mind and have more capability than you can extract from it without doing something highly illegal and/or stupid.

Good luck in your search! If you really can't find what you want locally, you can always have it shipped to you. Adds to the cost up front, but if it means that much to have it spec'd exactly like you want then it's probably worth it in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,489 Posts
For several reasons, I am 'anti' sunroof* and we were very pleasantly surprised to find well-equipped Stelvios sans glass tops. XC60, for example, cannot be had without one. Just a matter of personal preference.

* Complexity, weight, menopause, ceiling height, center of gravity, potential leakage and issues with the mechanism down the road, potential shattering (Google Hyundai/Kia when you have a sec), skin cancer (negating the beauty of an open roof) and lack of a full opaque shade.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd better not ask about the "menopause" reason. But I can say it doesn't apply to me. The exploding sunroofs was a new one to me.

My test drive was in a Stelvio with a sunroof and I didn't notice a headroom problem. I'm 6'1".

The good news is that another dealer has two red Stelvios without a sunroof configured more or less the way I want. So that is probably the route I'm going to take.

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm 6'5" and have no headroom issues with the sunroof in this car.

The sunroof in the Stelvio is one of my personal favorite features outside of the driving experience. The power shade is pretty cool too.

I've had sunroofs/moonroofs in 5 different vehicles over the years and never had a leaking or shattering issue although I've seen others report these type of issues.

All that being said I can still understand why some people don't like them and as a $1350 option in the US its a pricey addition for something you don't like.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like leaking isn't really an issue. I hadn't thought of the extra weight affecting handling, but I doubt that I would notice the difference.

The black sunroof on a black car would look OK. Or as Flunx desired, a black roof on a white car. But I want a red car. Not a red car with a black roof. That's probably the biggest con for me.

Tom
I've got Competizione Sport Ti with the sunroof. Looks tight, and has all the advantages listed here. I NEVER close the shade.

Granted, I grew up driving convertibles, so the sunroof is an "adult car" approximation.

Have had sunroofs on Jeep, Ford, Jag, Volvo, Mini, Audi and now Alfa - never once had a leak.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts