Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the surprising details- convenience, performance, or design-- that you have discovered on your STELVIO?

Positive comments please (plenty of places to whine and complain about ACP or lack thereof):

FOR ME:
-- Adaptable headlights that steer with the vehicle
-- Excellent night time visibility
-- Cell phone slot between the cup holders
-- 2 methods of lowering the rear seat backs
-- 500 miles between fill ups
-- Cargo capacity as well as extra stowage below the rear platform
-- Low cargo liftover height

Others?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Still waiting on mine to get off the boat, but I noticed during test drives a couple things which surprised me.

The proximity sensitive lights in the exterior handles on approach are one of the nicer looking non-features on any car.

The mirrors are very well positioned and have probably the nicest glass I’ve ever seen in a side mirror. The optical clarity on them is startling.

Reactions: Scalewoodman

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just completed a 600 mile round trip from Long Island Ny to Washington DC. First the acceleration for a 2.0 l engine is amazing. I would look down and suddenly be doing 90 something. Amazing transmission. Great to feel the difference in each of the DNA modes. “A” is great for driving in slow moving traffic. The second row space was great as my kids and wife did not complain once during the whole trip. Dual climate control worked very well. Nice feature is the fact that each person in the front row can choose which vent the air will come out from. Tilt feature for the panoramic glass top is nice too. The extra cargo cover piece attached to the rear lift gate is nice. I like that the gas cap opens and closes with just half a turn. The clarity and design of the infotainment system is nice. Interior led lights are nice and I love the black headliner as well. If I built a car from scratch it would look and feel a lot like this.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Driving to work this morning I was thinking how much I am enjoying the drivetrain on Stella-- the ZF 8-speed trans (intuitive up and downshifts, snap between gears, overall feel), the way it purrs when driven gently, and especially the way it ROARS when pushing things a bit in Dynamic mode.

The fragrance of real leather seating. Feel and accuracy of the steering and how quick it is.

Hard to imagine a more ideal all-around versatile vehicle and for our family, perfect size/no regrets.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rear view camera delay feature setting is a great way to verify the garage door has closed leaving the driveway in the morning...

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
381 Posts
The cubby hole as previously mentioned on the lower left dashboard. I always glanced at it and thought it contained the fuses. Took me over 2 months to realize it! It's great place to hide your wallet or anything of value.

Another surprise: how easy it is to wash/clean the Stelvio. With the minimal amount of exterior plastic molding, I don't have to spend the whole day detailing the car. (vs my previous Land Rover Evoque)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Great Utility

As a long time Alfisti, I've always enjoyed the way Alfas make you feel "special"....you just don't see yourself coming and going....:grin

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More conservative driving style most likely- my interest is long distance comfort vs spirited driving (except in those rare occasions alone in D mode). The vehicle delivers both experiences in a way no other can.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to add- I love what a great cruiser Stelvio is! Responsive, tight steering is always a pleasure and perfect accuracy at speed!

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

As we say- 'rubbing it in' a little bit on this side! Thanks to VW and EPA undertones about emissions, no business case to bring it to the USA.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Average of 40 MPG with the 2.2 Diesel over 6000 miles. However I am expecting to be paying much higher taxes in the very near future :-( Thanks VW

·
Registered
25 Posts
What are some of the surprising details- convenience, performance, or design-- that you have discovered on your STELVIO?

Positive comments please (plenty of places to whine and complain about ACP or lack thereof):

FOR ME:
-- Adaptable headlights that steer with the vehicle
-- Excellent night time visibility
-- Cell phone slot between the cup holders
-- 2 methods of lowering the rear seat backs
-- 500 miles between fill ups
-- Cargo capacity as well as extra stowage below the rear platform
-- Low cargo liftover height

Others?
How do you possibly get 500 miles between fill-ups? Driving (not very aggressively) in N mode with a city/highway mix in my suburban environment I routinely get about 350.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
LOL: I draft Priuses in Advanced Efficiency (aka 'Purr mode) with the a/c off and a tailwind going down hill... Actually I am a more conservative driver, enjoying the drivetrain interaction and bonding with the vehicle. Remember, this is coming from a Hemi 5.7L where I did what I could to mitigate the fuel use and developed a few eco habits. We're probably saving 1-2 fill-ups per month (however going from 87 to 93 octane)- not insignificant for sure.

Just filled up this morning: 460 in the past tank; predictor says 489-- obviously influenced by MPG computation (which I believe is accurate). It has been noted elsewhere fuel capacity is 16.9 gallons but it's all an estimate because the LOW FUEL indicator comes on about 1/4 tank.

Using zevedah's estimate of 27 MPG on his trip in mixed driving, the #'s seem correct give/take.

Your actual mileage might vary according to conditions, ambient temperature, driving habits, and the amount of testosterone surging through your veins. Also it may have a lot to do with how you 'round' - if like my wife you round up/down according to whether you are trying to justify an expenditure or brag about your good deal!

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
are you bragging that you have low testosterone haha

I expect with your driving habits neither you nor the engine would have an issue with lower octane fuel.
all the computer stuff should adjust timing etc.
usually the manual states higher octane "for maximum performance", our bmw manual tosses in "best economy" but I suspect that is best economy for a expected level of use, which you seem to be trying to avoid anyway.
the wording in the giulia manuals was changed from 2017/2018 models, but I have seen nothing to indicate the engine controls were revised in any meaningful way. yes, there have been updates, but no hardware changes I'm aware of, so the 2017 giulia should function like the 2018, and premium is not required.

of course if you were to actually step on the gas pedal, or have a load etc, you might prefer the response with premium.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha- I am a manly Stelvio man. Current iteration of the Marlboro man only in an Italian suit.

Back to the theme of the thread:

-- Folding mirrors- Great size, shape, visibility
-- Super versatile climate control system with fresh air options
-- Interior lighting (and cool exterior courtesy lights at the handles)

·
Registered
86 Posts
My unique likes and delights:
The gearbox operation in Dynamic mode is spot on!
The engine doesn't stop when you open the door after a remote start (in my previous Outback it did...)
The separate venting options for driver/passenger are exactly what my wife and I needed!
The seat moving back when getting out is great - especially when I get in to drive after my wife. In the Outback I could barely shoehorn myself in to her driving position....
There's a big smile on my face every time I open the garage door and see it there :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts