Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
28 SUV's in the Motor Trend article. Why no Stelvio listed?
What is up with FCA to let his happen?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Umm..if it is the article I saw, notice there weren't any Stellantis/FCA vehicles period. NO Alfas, No Jeeps, No Dodges, no Maserati, etc. (No Jeeps is the big one considering Jeep created the SUV segment and is the top seller in it).

Obviously that is due to the inherent unbiased nature of these "journalist's", and has nothing to do with the amount of advertising purchased, and "perks" provided, by the parent company.

Look at the rating system.

1) Advancement in Design. They rate the use of materials and styling. The Stelvio is a unibody-on-frame design (similar to a Land Rover LR3/4 surprisingly). Which is incredibly solid, but most manufacturers don't use it due to the weight, choosing instead to do either body-on-frame or unibody, not both. However due to the use of advanced materials, the Stelvio weighs less then or basically the same as it's unibody competitors. Also..it is arguably the best looking SUV ever made. Stelvio wins this. Not even close.

2) Engineering Excellence. Ok..this is really about the infotainment, so we would lose, however if it were about the vehicle engineering, consider that Alfa has created a new type of plastic for the exhaust manifold that is lighter and more durable (plastic failure being the main cause of manifold problems), fastest responding part-time AWD system in the industry, 1st use of electric brakes (which will finally replace hydraulic brakes after 100 years - talk about engineering advancement - but the rest of the industry drags thier feet while Alfa embraces change), the most variable valvetrain on the market and the only valvetrain designed from the ground up to deal with the needs of direct injection (other designs adapt pre-existing technologies). The only part of the drivetrain not filled with advanced proprietary tech is the transmission, which is shared with many cars... however none of them feel like a manual when shifting like the Alfa, because Alfa has very unique programing. So really...Alfa should win this too..but it isn't about that stuff, really it's about how many touchscreens there are and how many distractions it provides. So Alfa should win..but wouldn't.

3-6) Efficiency, Safety, Value, Performance of Intended function. These are all jokes. Efficiency, the gas mileage with the 4cyl is insane given the usability of power, I get better real world mileage in the Stelvio then I got in my previous car, a manual tranny VW Jetta. I drive faster and harder in the Stelvio too. Safety...Stelvio is as good as any, better then most. Value?? Please..at current prices this is the best value in the market bar none. Performance of Intended function, yeah, lots of companies sell SUV as being comparable to a sports car, but only one actually does it. Alfa. I'de argue the Stelvio is the only performance SUV available that performs it's intended function, which is to be fun and practical. The others get the practical part, some are even entertaining in certain situations..only the Stelvio is fun, no matter what.

So....if an Alfa were included it would basically sweep the contest. As such..they didn't include it. Cause Alfa won't pay for a year's worth of double page advertising spreads...which is the only real reason for publishing the article. But ever other manufacturer listed in the competition...will and most of them already do.

So...short answer why Alfa wasn't included...it's because it isn't fair to the rest of the industry, combined with Stellantis not spending enough on advertising to be worth it to the Editors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umm..if it is the article I saw, notice there weren't any Stellantis/FCA vehicles period. NO Alfas, No Jeeps, No Dodges, no Maserati, etc. (No Jeeps is the big one considering Jeep created the SUV segment and is the top seller in it).

Obviously that is due to the inherent unbiased nature of these "journalist's", and has nothing to do with the amount of advertising purchased, and "perks" provided, by the parent company.

Look at the rating system.

1) Advancement in Design. They rate the use of materials and styling. The Stelvio is a unibody-on-frame design (similar to a Land Rover LR3/4 surprisingly). Which is incredibly solid, but most manufacturers don't use it due to the weight, choosing instead to do either body-on-frame or unibody, not both. However due to the use of advanced materials, the Stelvio weighs less then or basically the same as it's unibody competitors. Also..it is arguably the best looking SUV ever made. Stelvio wins this. Not even close.

2) Engineering Excellence. Ok..this is really about the infotainment, so we would lose, however if it were about the vehicle engineering, consider that Alfa has created a new type of plastic for the exhaust manifold that is lighter and more durable (plastic failure being the main cause of manifold problems), fastest responding part-time AWD system in the industry, 1st use of electric brakes (which will finally replace hydraulic brakes after 100 years - talk about engineering advancement - but the rest of the industry drags thier feet while Alfa embraces change), the most variable valvetrain on the market and the only valvetrain designed from the ground up to deal with the needs of direct injection (other designs adapt pre-existing technologies). The only part of the drivetrain not filled with advanced proprietary tech is the transmission, which is shared with many cars... however none of them feel like a manual when shifting like the Alfa, because Alfa has very unique programing. So really...Alfa should win this too..but it isn't about that stuff, really it's about how many touchscreens there are and how many distractions it provides. So Alfa should win..but wouldn't.

3-6) Efficiency, Safety, Value, Performance of Intended function. These are all jokes. Efficiency, the gas mileage with the 4cyl is insane given the usability of power, I get better real world mileage in the Stelvio then I got in my previous car, a manual tranny VW Jetta. I drive faster and harder in the Stelvio too. Safety...Stelvio is as good as any, better then most. Value?? Please..at current prices this is the best value in the market bar none. Performance of Intended function, yeah, lots of companies sell SUV as being comparable to a sports car, but only one actually does it. Alfa. I'de argue the Stelvio is the only performance SUV available that performs it's intended function, which is to be fun and practical. The others get the practical part, some are even entertaining in certain situations..only the Stelvio is fun, no matter what.

So....if an Alfa were included it would basically sweep the contest. As such..they didn't include it. Cause Alfa won't pay for a year's worth of double page advertising spreads...which is the only real reason for publishing the article. But ever other manufacturer listed in the competition...will and most of them already do.

So...short answer why Alfa wasn't included...it's because it isn't fair to the rest of the industry, combined with Stellantis not spending enough on advertising to be worth it to the Editors.
ALFAOFFROAD, You are the best! And way cool! Love your videos' on You Tube. BTW

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
No different than my commentary on the last of the manuals article. They compared the Cayman 718 GT4 and the BMW M2CS. They neglected what would be the best of both worlds winner, the Lotus Evora GT. Same reasons IMHO.

Reactions: sutolarove
1 - 5 of 5 Posts