Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I saw there are several of these floating around, and I thought as the season approaches I'd pull them together into one.

So - I am looking to get a dedicated set of rims and tires for the winter. I am open to buying a new set of dealer rims, but wanted to know if there are other size-matched options that people are generally happy with. So, if you are driving your QV in the winter:

A) What tires are you using? If you can, link to the tires.
B) Are you using one set of rims, or have you bought a second? If so, what rims are you using?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion Winters

Hey guys, my mind has also been drifting to winter weather.

I pulled the trigger on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, to fit the stock Quad wheels in 20/255 & 20/285. I got them on tire rack, they were the only option available for the car on the stock wheels.

I'm debating getting a backup set of wheels, either used oem or perhaps some other brand forged 20s for winter duty. does anyone know how much the oem wheels cost list price? I'd prefer not to have to pay twice a year to mount and balance the rubber.

I believe the pirelli sottozero III would also be an option, if you could find them in the proper weight/speed ratings in our size.

front tires link: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Winter&partnum=545VR0SCORWXL

rear tires link: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Winter&partnum=84VR0SCORWXLV2

they are currently doing an $80 rebate, and the rears were on sale (to some extent) I believe.

Hope this helps! I can't comment on how well they work, because I haven't used them yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey guys, my mind has also been drifting to winter weather.

I pulled the trigger on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires, to fit the stock Quad wheels in 20/255 & 20/285. I got them on tire rack, they were the only option available for the car on the stock wheels.

front tires link: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Winter&partnum=545VR0SCORWXL

rear tires link: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=Scorpion+Winter&partnum=84VR0SCORWXLV2

they are currently doing an $80 rebate, and the rears were on sale (to some extent) I believe.

Hope this helps! I can't comment on how well they work, because I haven't used them yet.
I did this...live in Buffalo :eek...best winter tires (and now best winter SUV) I have used...highly recommended.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just bought and installed the Pirelli Scorpion Winter's on my QV (via Discount Tire). They did a great job not scratching the wheels; however, they did tear-up one of the summer tires on their machine (a rear PZero). They're replacing it. They told me this sometimes happens and they'd rather damage the tire rather than the wheel. . I agree (but come on). Thankfully I only had 1,976 miles on them.
Oh and supposedly the rear Pirelli Scorpion Winters are super hard to find right now in the US. They had to buy them from a local shop who just happened to have a set.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This is good to know about the issue with the summer tire.

Let us know how the scorpion winters treat you in the white stuff!

·
Registered
53 Posts

Shall do :) First Denver snow is forecasted for tomorrow :grin

Also, when I asked the Discount Tire Mgr how they can prevent this from happening in the future, his response was, "You're just gonna have to remind us to be extra careful." I guess you get what you pay for but. . . putting this back on the customer?! They replaced the shredded summer the next day with a brand new one. . . thankfully I only have 2000 miles on its mates (regarding similar wear).

·
Registered
53 Posts

okay. . first snow yesterday here in Denver. . . roads never got packed with snow, but I did drive on slick, wet/icy roads in blowing snow around 20 degrees F. I'm happy to report that the Pirelli Scorpion Winters performed VERY well in these conditions! ZERO slippage, excellent traction even when accelerating and braking hard. They instilled great confidence! Bring on the next snow storm :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought the Pirelli Winter Scorpions from Tire Rack.. could not find any other choices in the recommended size... neither could my dealership. Will let you know how they handle on Vermont ski trips.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally Ordered Mine

Good Evening All,

Been reading along. They certainly didn't make this the easiest. I finally ordered mine from Discount Tire on Wednesday. Tried for Winter Scorpions but they wouldn't be available until way late considering I'm in Michigan and getting close to 40 as it is for my summer tires. We went with Hakkapelittas, R3. Just waiting on them to come in. What I really need now is a set of dedicated winter rims.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I second Denise. I ordered Scorpions last week from Dis* tire and found out Friday that the rear tire is out of stock. They called Pirelli US and were told that this year's inventory has been sold.

They suggested going with 265-45-20 Alpins all around. Anyone tried this? I think I saw a post stating these cars don't like bigger front tires.

Bill

·
Registered
177 Posts
Caveat: I am not an engineer!

I would be wary to alter the contact patch ratio front to back on a quad, given that the car is nominally 100% rwd, but dynamically vectors torque forward based on drive mode and vehicle dynamics, including available grip (I.e. road conditions x contact patch).

I would think that change diameter of wheels would impact those calculations, but maybe the system is smart enough to just figure it out and compensate.

I wish I knew more, could be helpful on this.

I had been recommended Pirelli sottozeros as another option, not sure if anyone has them in stock...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I second Denise. I ordered Scorpions last week from Dis* tire and found out Friday that the rear tire is out of stock. They called Pirelli US and were told that this year's inventory has been sold.

They suggested going with 265-45-20 Alpins all around. Anyone tried this? I think I saw a post stating these cars don't like bigger front tires.

Bill
Also make sure whatever you get is rated for AWD. Even though our QV's are sending power to the rear most of the time, you want tires that can handle AWD specifically for when our vehicle sends power fwd. . like in winter's slick conditions :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ended up buying an almost new set of wheels and tires off of a Stelvio Ti Sport. I am using these as my dedicated winter set. Will definatly plasti-dip them in black though, may have to wait till next season do so. So far rides just fine on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would think it foolish to fun a 285 rear tire in tbe snow. Slush will be its undoing.
I would not use stock wheels in winter. Plenty of 19's and 20's out there to run 235/55's or 255/45's. Inclement weayhef handling , even rain, will be vastly superior.

BTW, SCORPION WINTERS suck on icy roads. I have had 2 sets on 3 vehicles with same result. They are wonderful 3.5 season tires. Hardcore winter... one of the weaker choices I have made and I drive 10k + every winter.
The set I am finishing off on my RRS make excellent all season/rain tires.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Guess I'm really foolish.
For MA snow, ice, slush, and 50 degree rain the scorpions work very well. And dry.
Yeah, I'm sure something is better in certain conditions but I dont change my tires daily.

My wife is not nearly as foolish as I am and has been very happy with them as well.
See last years snow tire threads for pics .

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Trying to be fair with my assessment
. I have had the Pirelli Scorpion Winters, Michelin Latitude Winters, Dunlop Grandtreck SJ3 &4's, Bridgestone LM22's & DM-1&2's, Goodyear Eagle Winers (many moons ago, Firestone Winterforces, Uniroyal Tiger Paws, etc.
Of that bunch, I'd say the LM22's were the closest in performance. Both sets were V rated which DOES NOT help the winter performance at all, it hurts it due to the necessarily harder cmpds. The LM22's were fabulous handlers even in very low grip conditions on a very powerful STi. I am not saying the Pirelli's won't get you there. I am saying they were some of the least confidence inspiring snows I have had in years. The Michelins I ran on my BMW before these were VASTLY superior.
A Range Rover Sport should be bulletproof in the snow but was not with the Pirelli's. I will be mounting a fresh set of DM-V2's on it this season and will let you know the difference. I ran those Scorpions ( 1set) on an Evoque where they were TERRIBLE and an MKC where they were barely tolerable esp on frosty mornings. The set on my RRS were fine in actual snow, and because they were 235's they cut through wet slush readily, but on icy hardpack or wet hardpack, their grip was not much better than the standard Pirelli Scorpions that were the summer tires on the Evoque. The summer Goodyears are unusable in winter conditions.

Having a house on the side of Sugarloaf, and doing that 750 mile roundtrip for 40 years, beginning with my college days in a Buick LeSabre (1974) Firestone Town & Country's, Michelin studded snows on Hondas etc I have driven through my fair share of blizzards, ice storms, sleet events and freezing rain storms.

Pirelli has cornered the market because they make all the sizes anyone could ever want. The other manufacturers are behind the sizing curve. There is some new data out there suggesting the wider tires are doing far better now due to all their siping. Used to be skinnies in the winter/snow&ice and fatties in the summer/mud.

Realize I am also the one that DID NOT put snows on the Stelvio last year. First vehicle to be winter driven without snows ever. I was shocked at how the tech has improved. I honestly think the stock 235 Contis were as good as the Pirellis! That would be a very interesting comparison test but you will never see Tire Rack do it because it won't help them sell tires.

Where I assess a snow is a bit different than Joe Average. I am very smooth and have roads where I know my cornering limits on various tires in the winter very well. I have had more close calls in the RRS on these Pirellis than I can remember. When they give up, its bad!

Our outstanding Magneti Marelli ?sp drivetrain is one of the reasons you felt good last year...probably me too on the Contis!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I had a lot of fun in race mode.
that's what feels good to me, although when the wife is along I go for the quieter D.
she uses N.

yes, we all know you do not consider yourself Joe Average. Joseph B. Average the III perhaps?

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had a lot of fun in race mode.
that's what feels good to me, although when the wife is along I go for the quieter D.
she uses N.

yes, we all know you do not consider yourself Joe Average. Joseph B. Average the III perhaps?
Of the Greenwich Averages of course.

I’ve been running Michelin AS3+ Pilot Sports year round. They don’t slip in the wet, grip amazingly in the dry and aren’t nearly as noisy as the Contidonettis. I also run higher pressure (35/38 summer, 34/37 winter) because I prefer the feel. The AS3+ does kill fuel economy though, worth it for the assurance that my 2.0 will go where I want it to. My old man has a set on his Giulia QV and his Chevy SS, they also hook up and go. I’d bet they wouldn’t be bad on the Stelvio QV. Last I checked Michelin makes those big enough.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts