Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Stelvio Veloce 2.0 Petrol Q4
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stelvio Veloce 20. Build date 8/20.

Always disable auto start/stop first thing after ignition. Once a month I leave it on just to see it still works. Does flawlessly, and after 4-5 annoying engine offs I disable it again for the next month.

Well, yesterday I enabled it, drove, and... No auto start/stop. No CEL. Just auto off not happening on stops.
Drove around for 30-40 minutes.
Today tried it again... nada.

Everything else works great. No CEL.

Anybody want to set up a betting pool on when my electrical systems start going bonkers?

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
Stelvio Veloce 20. Build date 8/20.

Always disable auto start/stop first thing after ignition. Once a month I leave it on just to see it still works. Does flawlessly, and after 4-5 annoying engine offs I disable it again for the next month.

Well, yesterday I enabled it, drove, and... No auto start/stop. No CEL. Just auto off not happening on stops.
Drove around for 30-40 minutes.
Today tried it again... nada.

Everything else works great. No CEL.

Anybody want to set up a betting pool on when my electrical systems start going bonkers?
When I spoke with the Alfa dealer t oday, they said driving the car like I do will be great for it. How many miles a day do you put on yours?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I was having battery issues, I ordered this...

I can push start button without foot on brake to check resting voltage, and then it gives me voltage while running.
It's a cheap, easy way to keep track of battery charge.
Got me all excited (I love gizmos) and then...

Font Line Rectangle Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I spoke with the Alfa dealer t oday, they said driving the car like I do will be great for it. How many miles a day do you put on yours?
40km 3/times a week in traffic round-trip to work.
Once a week 200km round-trip to take the kid to see grandma.

Every two weeks a longer trip, maybe 300-400km round-trip.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
40km 3/times a week in traffic round-trip to work.
Once a week 200km round-trip to take the kid to see grandma.

Every two weeks a longer trip, maybe 300-400km round-trip.
Yeah, that should easily be enough to maintain a battery. What's the cure for this? Did they fix it in later models?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
@Wobu My guess would be you are.

There are so many variables to a "smart" charging system, and how the car will react to a voltage drop..how much of a drop...how often....why these issues are such phantom issues across brand.

The auto/start stop is the first thing to go. Seems like the most sensitive, probably programmed that way.

I know my battery is getting old and have been waiting for more major problems to pop up, with eventually it not starting after sitting a few days, but so far it has been almost 6 months since I first had a low voltage "problem" and nothing major. Couple times the Bluetooth didn't connect, once it did but wasn't supposed to, TPMS not telling me the pressure was low once. Sometimes it's a little.unhappy when I start it..lumpy idle...but it starts.

I wouldn't really stress about changing the battery right away if you don't feel like it. But if you want to..probably wouldn't hurt.

Again guessing, your driving habit's are maybe the type that appeases the "smart charging" gawd's and the major problems will take awhile to hit. Based on not having had them before.

All that said....might check your terminals and see if they could use a cleaning. Might be that.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Checked them today after the second drive with no ASS. Terminals are clean. Clamps are tight. "Intelligent" battery sensor seems connected.

We'll wait and see.
Now I have an exciting new thrill when I start the car every morning: I flip the dial into D mode. Let's see when that gets disabled.

You know how I know I love this car? The fact that this is happening and I don't really mind it. Any other car of mine I'd have said "oh come on, here comes the defect cr*p"... Here? Who cares. I love the car. Worst case I get a new battery.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Yup....same here.

I could replace it...but....the suspense is fun and the inconvenience doesn't bother me.

Almost every other car I've ever owned....first non warranty repair..brakes, tires...whatever.
..I'm test driving new cars. Don't always get one, but I always want one.

Now...I just want to drive my Alfa. Maintenance and stuff like batteries or water pumps will happen, that's fine.

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
524 Posts
Most of us wish our auto stop did not work! But yes, my 9/20 build has already bit the dust.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
Yup....same here.

I could replace it...but....the suspense is fun and the inconvenience doesn't bother me.

Almost every other car I've ever owned....first non warranty repair..brakes, tires...whatever.
..I'm test driving new cars. Don't always get one, but I always want one.

Now...I just want to drive my Alfa. Maintenance and stuff like batteries or water pumps will happen, that's fine.
This has been my experience. I am hoping the Alfa is "worth maintaining".

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, that should easily be enough to maintain a battery. What's the cure for this? Did they fix it in later models?
really puzzeled as to why you would call an Alfa dealer when you don't even own the car. Must be that life of living nowhere and nothing to do.

As for the real topic, get another similar plug in like the ones you saw on amazon. But the bottom line is that you're right. I replaced mine in 18 months under warranty.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
really puzzeled as to why you would call an Alfa dealer when you don't even own the car. Must be that life of living nowhere and nothing to do.

As for the real topic, get another similar plug in like the ones you saw on amazon. But the bottom line is that you're right. I replaced mine in 18 months under warranty.
Because when you want to know about the vehicle for real, and when it's available...you call the store.
Did you replace your battery with an oem, or aftermarket? Which and why?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Most of us wish our auto stop did not work! But yes, my 9/20 build has already bit the dust.
It's just battery. Any other problems with your 20 build? Battery issue I can live with since it's an easy solution even if they replace it with the same battery. I would just buy reliable battery and be done with it when warranty runs out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The auto start stop gimmick will stay off if battery wont charge above 12.4 volts i think. I have a 2020 and the start stop crap stopped working 1 month after i bought it. Car is fine otherwise, i put it on the tender maybe once a couple months. If it dies dealer can replace it under warranty.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
"a newer, nicer version of what you have"

Wow that is a stupid sounding statement. Not the person who said it. The statement itself.

Alfisti know the best Alfas are old ones. We buy the new ones so when it becomes an old one we can say we always had it. Cause those....those are the best Alfa's.

Having a newer Alfa...puts you lower on the totem pole. Not higher. Oh is it more expensive??? No one cares.

Exception for the RWD model.....that can be newer and arguably "better" then other Stelvio's. Not because it costs more (it's cheaper)..because it's a few hundred pounds lighter and has slightly better driving dynamics because of it...and wasn't avalible in 2018.

Bragging about newness is just lame, makes you sound like a child.

New Alfa's are nice because they are Alfa's. Not because they are new.

Personally..the interior options peaked in the 2018-2019 model. The newer ones don't have a cooled center console. I get chilled sodas and candy bars in my car. You don't.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
"a newer, nicer version of what you have"

Wow that is a stupid sounding statement. Not the person who said it. The statement itself.

Alfisti know the best Alfas are old ones. We buy the new ones so when it becomes an old one we can say we always had it. Cause those....those are the best Alfa's.

Having a newer Alfa...puts you lower on the totem pole. Not higher. Oh is it more expensive??? No one cares.

Exception for the RWD model.....that can be newer and arguably "better" then other Stelvio's. Not because it costs more (it's cheaper)..because it's a few hundred pounds lighter and has slightly better driving dynamics because of it...and wasn't avalible in 2018.

Bragging about newness is just lame, makes you sound like a child.

New Alfa's are nice because they are Alfa's. Not because they are new.

Personally..the interior options peaked in the 2018-2019 model. The newer ones don't have a cooled center console. I get chilled sodas and candy bars in my car. You don't.
The appeal of new to me, is that the kinks are more worked out of it. In a glock guy, not a 1911 guy, but this is a total 1911 move if there ever was one, so I digress. Oh, well. Roll the dice, eh?

·
Registered
41 Posts

I can push start button without foot on brake to check resting voltage, and then it gives me voltage while running.

That's exactly what I have. Mine always reads around 11.8 volts first thing in the morning. I do mainly a lot of short local trips.
It therefore never stop starts which I don't like anyway. I don't have any problem starting and use the seat warmer and demister. I do have an AGM replacement battery though. Why worry?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The best $100 is spend on the Stelvio so far is this Start/Stop Deactivator, had it for over a year and love it! I don't even think about that stupid button anymore.

Reactions: tibimakai
1 - 20 of 60 Posts