Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Stevio TI
524 Posts
It's just battery. Any other problems with your 20 build? Battery issue I can live with since it's an easy solution even if they replace it with the same battery. I would just buy reliable battery and be done with it when warranty runs out.
Only other issue was a faulty DNA selector switch. Took 2 week to arrive. Minor problem in 1 year and 10 K miles

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
To be fair...the BCM has been responsible for at least 5 phantom drains on this forum alone. The DNA switch 2 or 3. I seem to remember one person having a bad switch for the audio system too.

Most of the time it's an issue with the battery going bad from sitting on the sales lot without a tender for months.

Sometimes it's the terminals having corrosion. (This is anew one so really not sure how common, but suspect)

Then less often it's the driver's habits not meshing with the smart charging system..

Then it's a mechanical failure.

Pretty much never a time only one thing can cause any given problem in a car. It's always a list to go down and check.

But...given how Wobu has described his issues, this probably just the battery and he has months before it's a real issue.

Other people might be different. Why it's always good to ask.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So I still have the original OEM battery. (7/17 build) No issues. There are long periods of time when the start/stop never kicks in. (weeks on end) Then when it does it almost surprises me. This has been this way for a few years now. So how this system's programing works can be a little mysterious.

Are you getting a dash warning that the system is offline ?

·
Registered
184 Posts
What is the average battery life 3-5 years ? That is usually the answer. So for our 2018's its getting into that time period. Fingers crossed. Battery in our 2014 Durango went last year. Changed that on a very cold day as it always works out. LOL Our 2016 Cayenne will be the main worry this year.

·
Registered
147 Posts
got Mopar brand, I think in 2019, april (They just replaced it on first check up) Think it's time for a new one? Taking it in for 30k around April. Probably not going to replace it under warranty but will extended cover it? I hate reading contracts.. lil help? I signed up for 5yr/100k extended.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the same boat as OhioF1. Late 17 build. Late 18 in service date. No problems what so ever with 39100 miles. Start/stop rarely comes on...err off :unsure: but it recently occurred to me that it hasn't come on at all for a few months. First thought, battery! Took the care in today at the local Chrysler dealer for oil change ($89.99 vs $299 @ Alfa) and they ran a battery check as part of their "free" 23000 point inspection. Report came back at 40% of available charge. Being winter in New England I'm thinking this is the week I'm get stranded.

As a note: Alfa dealer wants $859 for 40000 service. It looks like an oil change and a bunch of inspections so I asked how much it would be without the oil change, Responce, "we don't do it that way". WTF does that mean?

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
I'm in the same boat as OhioF1. Late 17 build. Late 18 in service date. No problems what so ever with 39100 miles. Start/stop rarely comes on...err off :unsure: but it recently occurred to me that it hasn't come on at all for a few months. First thought, battery! Took the care in today at the local Chrysler dealer for oil change ($89.99 vs $299 @ Alfa) and they ran a battery check as part of their "free" 23000 point inspection. Report came back at 40% of available charge. Being winter in New England I'm thinking this is the week I'm get stranded.

As a note: Alfa dealer wants $859 for 40000 service. It looks like an oil change and a bunch of inspections so I asked how much it would be without the oil change, Responce, "we don't do it that way". WTF does that mean?
It means its probably a Masersti/Alfa dealer and not a Dodge/Alfa dealer, lol!

That said...how much are brakes from ansensible Alfa dealer on these? What else isnincluded besidesnoil? Sparl plugsz etc st 40k mi as well?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
@JLM11 what was included in the service? Not the manual...what did the dealer say they do?

As far as what thier comment means...it means the service writer didn't like the question I think...🤔

That is definitely expensive. Independent shop will do you better if there isn't another dealer around. It is not a requirement to have maintenance done at the dealer.

·
Registered
184 Posts

That is high. Are they including replacing the plugs and accessory belt ? They better. I just had mine in for the 40k service. I prepaid for service for 4/40k so I took it in to get everything done on Stelantis's dime. They did the oil change, accessory belt, plugs, filters (engine and interior), brake fluid flush/change and the inspections. Not sure what that would cost without the maintenance plan. I did ask what the 50K service would be and they quoted $ 170. That is actually much lower than what MB and Porsche have cost. ( last Cayenne oil change/inspection was $310 ) MB 40K service on a C300 was $750.00 a few years ago.

·
Registered
2022 Stelvio Veloce
75 Posts
Personally..the interior options peaked in the 2018-2019 model. The newer ones don't have a cooled center console. I get chilled sodas and candy bars in my car. You don't.
Interior peaked prior to 22 - not having colored dash and door cards is a big step down in my book. Still love the car

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I just like to think of it as why no Alfa is better than another.

They all have something about them that makes them better to different people. The '22 has less avalible options but more standard equipment which I'm sure at least one person loves.

Me..I'm not kidding about the cooled center console...I would deeply miss that in the '20 and up. Melty Twix bars upset me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, this is from their web site, but he listed the same things and for $859 I get:

Font Rectangle Number Screenshot Parallel

They also throw in an exterior wash and vacuum! I asked about belt replacement. He mumbled something about the serpentine but when I commented that the current guidance is to inspect and replace if needed he said yea but we usually replace it.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
So, this is from their web site, but he listed the same things and for $859 I get:

View attachment 24542
They also throw in an exterior wash and vacuum! I asked about belt replacement. He mumbled something about the serpentine but when I commented that the current guidance is to inspect and replace if needed he said yea but we usually replace it.
What does the belt control in this car? Ive owned some cars that Id just as soon let it snap before replacing. Others? Id rather replace it as PM and never have it break ever.

Assuming nothing is crazy, that list looks like $4-500 worth of work, at best, and Id 86 the filter replacements and do those myself unless Alfa made it somehow difficult as hell.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
Interior peaked prior to 22 - not having colored dash and door cards is a big step down in my book. Still love the car
Agreed. That said, god the options are dizzying prior to 22. I was looking for new old stock 21s, and none have LSDs. Option lists a mile long on the stickers, but nada. The 22, I just check the Veloce box and done. Active suspension just seems like a fail point to me, but I am not super familiar with how Alfa does it. On the vettes, we had no issues, and it used MRC shocks and struts and was amazing. Near indefinite parts life to boot. Does Alfa use MRC or air, not that I guess it matters to me with plans on a 22.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts