Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
Thats insane. Less than 2 hours worth of work.
Brake fluid $129
Cabin Filter $60
Oil with their synthetic $59
Inspection $Free
Belt $159 due to how it's accessed
Tire rotation $20

Thats roughly how I recall my cx5 turbo services going. You definitely pay a premium for the Alfa.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
With an Alfa.....that might seem like a crazy price but....

Have you seen the procedure for replacing the interior air filter???

Inspections? A snap.

Serpentine belt? Embarrassingly easy..same with plugs or an oil change.

But the interior air filter?

That's like an hour and a half of playing twister by yourself after jamming your body into the front passenger foot well.....while trying to force fragile things but not break them.

I think it's BS and the charges dealers are giving is crazy....however...I get why.

That stupid interior filter is a b!&ch. I haven't changed mine because of it. Should.. but haven't.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
With an Alfa.....that might seem like a crazy price but....

Have you seen the procedure for replacing the interior air filter???

Inspections? A snap.

Serpentine belt? Embarrassingly easy..same with plugs or an oil change.

But the interior air filter?

That's like an hour and a half of playing twister by yourself after jamming your body into the front passenger foot well.....while trying to force fragile things but not break them.

I think it's BS and the charges dealers are giving is crazy....however...I get why.

That stupid interior filter is a b!&ch. I haven't changed mine because of it. Should.. but haven't.
Oof. Really THAT bad? That's nuts. I had an infiniti that noone changed in 110K miles, lol! Changed it and the AC was a BEAST!

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
It is probably the worst filter change in any car.

Sums up an Alfa well..maintaining the engine is easy, Brakes? Simplest job around.

Everything to do with the actual driving?

Amazing.

The rest? Eh....it's there..some of it in ways that make no sense.

I just laugh. Rather that then a boring car to me.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
It is probably the worst filter change in any car.

Sums up an Alfa well..maintaining the engine is easy, Brakes? Simplest job around.

Everything to do with the actual driving?

Amazing.

The rest? Eh....it's there..some of it in ways that make no sense.

I just laugh. Rather that then a boring car to me.
Do you have to do things that are unhealthy, such as bend things that are not meant to be bent (but not too much...), to get it to happen, or is it just complex?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Bend one thing that doesn't seem meant to be bent. Cram things in till they fit..hope they fit right...wedge yourself into tiny space and work on something that you can either see or touch...depending on the of your hands might be hard to touch. Then worry about it making your interior rattle cause you have to go so far as to remove the glovebox I think.

for a stupid filter.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
Bend one thing that doesn't seem meant to be bent. Cram things in till they fit..hope they fit right...wedge yourself into tiny space and work on something that you can either see or touch...depending on the of your hands might be hard to touch. Then worry about it making your interior rattle cause you have to go so far as to remove the glovebox I think.

for a stupid filter.
That is absurd. I will pay the dealer to do it, so if it messes something up it's their baby.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ok..I'm just gonna say it/ask it: Is the filter really providing that much of a benefit to the quality of the cabin air?
I mean, on one hand, a filter can protect downstream mechanics (fans, actuators and doors) from getting gummed up, but what's the harm in pulling out the cabin filter and just leaving it out for good?

Is a filter an "engineering" decision, or a marketing one?
"We have a luxury SUV so it must have a cabin filter so find someplace to cram it in".

·
Super Moderator
562 Posts
Makes me wonder if after the designers were done and proud of what they had created, someone said, oh, by the way, you need a cabin filter. So they had to find some unused space to cram it in.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
Ok..I'm just gonna say it/ask it: Is the filter really providing that much of a benefit to the quality of the cabin air?
I mean, on one hand, a filter can protect downstream mechanics (fans, actuators and doors) from getting gummed up, but what's the harm in pulling out the cabin filter and just leaving it out for good?
Remember back in the 90s, when you turn on the AC for the first time that summer, and it blasted a bunch of particles into your face? Well I don't like being Ron Jeremied bu the dust mummy in my dash, and when you change those filters, they are nasty, so yes, I think it does matter mechanically and to your wellbeing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
@Jwg223 " I don't like being Ron Jeremied by the dust mummy in my dash "
Oh sh!t, that made by day! 🤣

That said, the AC filter does serve an important purpose. It prevents the evaporator from getting clogged up with debris.
Changing the filter is not too bad, actually. I followed the instructions in the Stelvio maintenance and repair manual. Remove glove box, remove some trim pieces, move the footwell heater duct out of the way... and the filter resides behind an access panel. Admittedly it's more complicated than it needs to be, but it's not too bad.

Reactions: Jwg223

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
It's so funny..I will tear apart an engine no problem....

What @atcdork just described....sounds horrible to me.

Has to do with cleanliness and room to work..gotta be cleaner with less room in the car. Plus....I have a phobia against interior rattles....so I don't want to do it myself....

However...paying other people to work ok my car feels like I wasting money...

It's the classic auto tech's dilemma. Don't want to work on your own car, and don't want to pay someone else too.

This is why most auto techs drive car that need work..It's just funny cause normally that work is stuff like oil changes, not a filter replacement. Generally the filters are the only maintence done right because it's easy. Here..no the filter is the hard part.

but..it really is best to change the filter if only to keep the cabin smelling fresher. I gotta change mine...don't follow my example here for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I should have kept my mouth shut!!!! Nothing good comes from talking about a problem you don't have. After FCA dealer tested my battery and the subsequent post above, I planed on grabbing a new MTX-49/H8 at the Interstate Battery store on Friday. Unfortunately, I got behind at work and didn't get there. On the way to drop my kid of at college today my wife called (we switched cars for the day and she had the Alfa) Her "Your car is broken!" Me "What do you mean") Her "I was driving down the road and the check engine, start stop disabled warning came on. Then the engine started to sputter".
Me "(%^@#$%^& battery!"

At least I hope it's the battery. I'm gonna swap it out tomorrow with my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
546 Posts
You can hardly curse out the battery it’s probably six years old. Like mine. Unless you want to use it as an excuse to buy a quad since your battery is bad.🙂

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can hardly curse out the battery it’s probably six years old. Like mine. Unless you want to use it as an excuse to buy a quad since your battery is bad.🙂
Your a smart man! I'll run it by the wife after she finishes her bottle of wine. 🍷😉

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in the same boat as OhioF1. Late 17 build. Late 18 in service date. No problems what so ever with 39100 miles. Start/stop rarely comes on...err off :unsure: but it recently occurred to me that it hasn't come on at all for a few months. First thought, battery! Took the care in today at the local Chrysler dealer for oil change ($89.99 vs $299 @ Alfa) and they ran a battery check as part of their "free" 23000 point inspection. Report came back at 40% of available charge. Being winter in New England I'm thinking this is the week I'm get stranded.

As a note: Alfa dealer wants $859 for 40000 service. It looks like an oil change and a bunch of inspections so I asked how much it would be without the oil change, Responce, "we don't do it that way". WTF does that mean?
Also late '17 build, 41k miles, still on original battery. Early on I complained about the start/stop not working when I had it in for service and they charged it and told me I just wasn't driving enough, which I found hard to believe. The s/s did work for a while, then quit working again, and the rear window defroster also quit working. When I took it back in they decided it was a bad voltage sending unit or something, and replaced it. Since then everything's been working, except for occasional s/s outages. I assume I'll need to replace the battery eventually, but it's not enough of an issue yet to get me out of procrastination mode.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The challenging thing about these cars is the lack of consistency, especially with the battery/electrical system. In my case, the check engine & s/s not available came on and remained on for a few days. Thanks to the many post on the forum and a recent battery test, I was confident the original Varta battery was finally @#$$%^ the bed. I put a charger on and got a fully charged reading after about an hour. Started her up and NO check engine or s/s disabled warnings came on. Feeling confident it was the battery, I drove directly to the Interstate battery store, picked up a MTX 49/H8 and swaped out the battery (10 minutes at the most). No problems since. I still need the 40K service but considering the cost of service at the four local Cosa Nostra Herb Chambers Alfa and Mas/Alfa dealers I feel like I'm a head of the game.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts