Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Loads of suggestions on here some I know about and can ignore, others I've not experienced.

For me, after three months of owning it:

1. Intermittent rear wiper setting
  2. Solve Infotainment glitches/delays etc.
  3. Driver seat tilt adjustment on bottom bit
Apart from that nothing. Loving it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Option for a de-tuned Quad V6 engine (about 350-375 Hp) on the TiSport. It fits so why not? Since I have the performance pack on my Ti Sport, there is really nothing on the Quad I need except a bunch of carbon trim.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Funny, my phase 1 does that 350 /385 alrwady. That quad motor is essentially detuned already. Easily can do everything I've done, including quad wheels and tires for less than 5k.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Funny, my phase 1 does that 350 /385 alrwady. That quad motor is essentially detuned already. Easily can do everything I've done, including quad wheels and tires for less than 5k.
510 hp from a 2.7l V6 is detuned? 350 HP is about what the Germans are getting from there base turbo V6 (e.g. Audi SQ5).I just think the V6 would run cooler, develop the HP at lower RPM and be generally more reliable than pushing the 4 cylinder toward it limits although I have no issues with your approach as I agree that the QUAD is overpriced for what you get (my apologies to QUAD owners).

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I think the Quad is the performance bargain of the century. That motor is not pushed at 600 HP. Just saying at 350HP the 2.0l is not remotely pushed. It actually runs better being allowed to breath. Germans are so grossly over protective of their powertrains it has become amusing esp Audi. Subaru has had 300+ HP coming out odf 2.0/2.5 l 4 bangers for 15 years now. 350/360 is easily and reliably done there all day. Mercedes has ~350 2.0l out there. I was going to upgrade to a quad as soon as my order could be made but I've done so much to mine, I have narrowed the performance gap and as Lost says it is lighter and surprisingly agile.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think the Quad is the performance bargain of the century. That motor is not pushed at 600 HP. Just saying at 350HP the 2.0l is not remotely pushed. It actually runs better being allowed to breath. Germans are so grossly over protective of their powertrains it has become amusing esp Audi. Subaru has had 300+ HP coming out odf 2.0/2.5 l 4 bangers for 15 years now. 350/360 is easily and reliably done there all day. Mercedes has ~350 2.0l out there. I was going to upgrade to a quad as soon as my order could be made but I've done so much to mine, I have narrowed the performance gap and as Lost says it is lighter and surprisingly agile.
I agree that 300hp+ from a turbo 4 is and has been the norm for quite some time now..Back 15-20yrs ago Honda guys were making 400/500hp safely from Turbo B series engines with proper tuning and fuel management on street driven cars and now the next generation K Series engines are making 700/800 hp on pump gas safely on mild builds...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Those mild builds were the realm of a long time track friend from NJ....not so mild and usually lasted 3-6 passes on the drag strip before a rebuild. Same thing with Subie motors. They can make big HP, but you start going much above 400at the wheels or ~500 HP and their reliability plummets as everyone has found out. There is good tuning an TOO MUCH tuning. Why can Honda supposedly get that much power out of a street motor yet were always down on power in Indycar??

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Those mild builds were the realm of a long time track friend from NJ....not so mild and usually lasted 3-6 passes on the drag strip before a rebuild. Same thing with Subie motors. They can make big HP, but you start going much above 400at the wheels or ~500 HP and their reliability plummets as everyone has found out. There is good tuning an TOO MUCH tuning. Why can Honda supposedly get that much power out of a street motor yet were always down on power in Indycar??

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree with you to a certain extent.. I can tell you from personal experience with building numerous Honda engines for people that 400-500 WHP on Pump Gas with a Hondata KPro and proper tuning is TOTALLY reliable for street/track use provided that you watch EGT/Oil temps/air fuel ratios and listen for anything abnormal ie:knock etc.

Hybrid Combo Kseries motors ie:k20 head/k24/26/27 blocks built properly can put down 3-400 whp all day and rev to 9k plus and still be daily driveable/reliable.

Many factors come into play when it comes to determining reliability however my point was to bolster your comment that 350hp from a turbo 4 cyl is very attainable and reliable..

·
Registered
58 Posts
I must have misinterpreted your post about getting near QUAD looks and performance for 5K which would imply paying 30k for marginal improvements; not exactly the bargain of the century for me.

I will concede based on the other posts that 350 HP is not an unreasonable performance vs reliability trade off; my point is I would rather have the same power at a lower rpm from a larger displacement engine rather than red-lining the 4.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
The power esp with relation to torque comes on real low as in below 3000rpms There is acually more Tq in a Phase 2 tune of my 2.0l than in the Quad 2.9 motor now

·
Registered
474 Posts
I know that all of you aren´t for Diesel.. engine. :devil
But for me.. Alfa should have done a 3.0L Diesel Engine. And not a single one 2.2 with 3 stages factory remaps.
Or at least should have fitted a Biturbo in the 210hp 2.2. (or same idea for the 2.0 fuel)
But a 3.0L engine to be at front line among the german armada.

And of course a "Veloce" trim in Stelvio... that S*** of having a "base" Stelvio looking the same... until you have a Quad...

Can´t agree more that The Stelvio Quad is the bargain of the century... (but only in few countries... were Taxes are not so assaulting the costumer wallet. Here in Portugal Quad base without any optional starts at "120000 euros".

IMHO -> Not good move from Alfa.. since it sporty heritage in it range of cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yesterday, While driving on the motorway here in the UK I realised that I do miss Speed Sensitive Steering that I had on my previous vehicle. Not sure that the Stelvio has this or it's just not as effective.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Flunx. Unfortunately, the era of the diesl appears to be winding down for pollution reasons and manufacturers like BMW have consistently struggled with urea tanks and other aspects of the pollution control systems. On top of that, in the states, our winter diesel is priced well above premium, so the cost saving attributes are neutralized esp if you drive a lot like I do in winter. My 2011 BMW X5D was a great car till the Buy More Warranty phase of its life kicked in. Notice how the industry has always stayed away from the diesel hybrid concept??

The states may not be part of the paris accords, but we are locked into a tax/cost induced diesel lifestyle either. Ironically, we never fell into that trap. Also, ironically, the one place where diesels shoul;d have appeared 20years ago was pickups at all levels. Only the big beasts have had that option till recently.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts