Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Great article about the 164. I didn't realize that was a shared platform. The section describing the suspension setup and tuning Alfa used....yeah...bet the Tonale is a great driving car.

·
Registered
120 Posts
To me the idea that a FWD car can't be dynamic and fun to drive is an old idea. I have driven and owned several that were a blast. Also just as you posted Alfa has had some in the past. I think it is just the "reviewers" and their constant gripping about FWD that keeps the idea going when in reality it is not much of an issue for most drivers.

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime XSE
509 Posts
To me the idea that a FWD car can't be dynamic and fun to drive is an old idea. I have driven and owned several that were a blast. Also just as you posted Alfa has had some in the past. I think it is just the "reviewers" and their constant gripping about FWD that keeps the idea going when in reality it is not much of an issue for most drivers.
Fwd cars can be amazing, but in snow and nice, sand and gravel there is no way they can compete with awd for practicality.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Long time alfa guy - and hater of fwd. I test drove the 164s a couple times, rented the 4cyl version in Italy, and a brera 2.0 in UK.
I'll say that AR fwd, while better than others, still sucks in spirited driving. Same issues with steering wheel pulling left/right in varying traction acceleration out of corners, more understeer the more you step on gas etc.
For those that like those traits, fine. I don't.
For those that drive moderately, probably not that noticeable.
Alfa awd is variable rwd, most aren't and I would rather have rwd only than typical awd.

·
Registered
203 Posts
To me the idea that a FWD car can't be dynamic and fun to drive is an old idea. I have driven and owned several that were a blast.
Agreed, it's a tough one to nail, but cars like the Focus RS which started as FWD biased are a total blast to drive and push hard.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with both sides sorta...

FWD done right is a blast.

But part of it is because of those issues like torque steer and the way the front tires will scrub speed and understeer....like part of the fun with RWD is how the rear can get loose.

Personally I'm prefer the compromises of RWD to FWD dynamically..but I bet the Tonale comes pretty close to making that a moot point.

·
Registered
203 Posts
But part of it is because of those issues like torque steer and the way the front tires will scrub speed and understeer....like part of the fun with RWD is how the rear can get loose.
One of the most amazing experiences in my Focus RS was when you hit a corner hard with those amazingly sticky tires and leaned into the throttle, between the drivetrain and the torque vectoring you could actually feel the balance shift from slight understeer to slight oversteer, if the Tonale can do that my thought is it will be a success.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts