Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since late 2019, I had an error related to the throttle. I went on to the blogs and followed what others had done. Not to mention, it was in service with a dealer who essentially replaced everything from sensors, both computer boards, etc... etc... etc... You know the hated experience. Hour on end in the service department, you take your time off from work and you just sit there because they also don't have loaners. Long story short - NOW another dealer is saying I need to replace the entire throttle part. COST - $4,000 Naturally after several discussions with the 1st dealer regarding extended warranty (at least 3 times) requesting someone call and give me pricing BEFORE i hit my mileage limit, no one called. Filed a complaint with Corporate over a month ago after their service helper basically said, it's not our problem I am now past the 50,000 miles. Here's what I discovered, the throttle control has a small plastic O ring which will wear and then slips. You, the customer, may think it's other minor problems like too much gas in the tank, let me restart 3 or 4 times to reset, but all along the little O ring is wearing down and then you have a piece of crap which can't accelerate onto the highly, gets passed by 18 wheelers going up a hill, as well as all other makes and models because of a flaw design to put a plastic ring in the throttle. It just can't be replaced but requires the whole mechanism to be replaced. No wonder ALFA ROMEO can't stand by their products like other makes/models and they depreciate to the point you may as well as bought an American Made car going forward. Trust me when dealers don't know what they are doing, when another dealer points to the problem after you've spent several thousand and then you get hit again with more $$$$$, you quickly figure this isn't a customer first company. I haven't even received a call back to my concern which I had to fight to get the woman to put into the system to corporate. CRICKETS from everyone. Don't know if anyone else has had this problem but I travel alot and have more miles probably than most, but my 2018 Stelvio was recently proud to have been given a trade in offer of $15,000 and it has no scratches, no accidents, brand new tires, brand new almost everything. Sorry if I sound angry about this car but my initial excitement with it has greatly diminished and all my professional friends who are impressed with its looks, I tell them to RUN FROM their nearest dealership and shop elsewhere. As you approach the 60,000 miles gang, be on the lookout for the plastic ring wearing out on the throttle and welcome to the $4,000 club. Get it replaced if you can before then.
Signed... AWFUL ROMEO

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
How did you discover this failing o-ring?

What exactly did the first dealer replace?

Too much gas in the tank? You mean the car was running like you had vapor-lock and you considered that to be minor? No car built since the mid-90's should be able to experiance "vapor-lock" from overfilling the tank..so that would not be a minor issue. Did you drive with the issue for a while, but ignored it because it seemed minor? Or did it popup, get solved, then comeback?

The throttle parts are primarily shared with the Guilia, and there are more than a couple over 50k, yet this is not a known issue. Could be you are the first person to experiance what will be a major issue (I had both a VW Eos and FIAT 500 experiance catastrophic failures that were later major recalls, but it happened to me a year, or more, before the recalls because of the miles I was driving..same could happen with you).

In order to discover this, we need information, not emotion.

Repair invoices showing the exact parts repaired/replaced and charting a timeline of issues, money spent, and warrenty work performed or refused, also what were/are the problems experianced..dont say it's like overfilling the tank..describe those problems exactly.

Again, how did you discover this o-ring and where is it...exactly? The "throttle control"? Is that what you are calling the mechanical mechanism that moves when the accelerator is pushed or something else?

We have helped more than a couple people get thier issues solved here, but we need actual information.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts