Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For maximum tread life, is tire rotation at every 5k about right or overkill? Is it OK to go diagonal vs the usual front / back swap? Thanks.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If you do spirited driving so to speak 5k miles is exactly RIGHT for a performance vehicle. Its NOT overkill (5000 miles or 8000 km). If you just chug along on mundane and boring drives such as the highway you can stretch it to a bit longer like 6500 miles or 10000 km.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
1X /YR WORKS JUST . WHEN PULLING AT 4/32NDS, ROTATION MAY ADD A FEW THOUSAND MILES TO LIFE BUT IT SEEMS AS YOU ALTER WEAR PATTERNS BALANCE ISSUES CROP UP MORE WITH ROTATIONS. Biggest issue is if you drive it really hard or in city and are chewing up the outsides from too much understeer . Then rotations really help. If you do a lot of highway mileage like I do, and mix in some borderline at the limit stuff, balance tend to even out. With the rear bias I will expect backs to wear much more than fronts, just the opposite of FWD/AWD architectures that really kill the fronts in all dimensions. If you don't care about running a tire below 4/32nds, ????don't bother. I hate old tires.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We do 10k km here, so 7k miles. But I wouldn’t overdo it, remember each time you remove and retorque the wheels you are actually wearing the studs/hub threads, so early isn’t a great idea imo.

·
Premium Member
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
You can check but these tires are always front to back when worn in, never X.

Just to note: @14K miles, the tread wear is perfect on this vehicle. Dealer rotated with first service, 10K miles.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tire Rotation Patterns

The Continental CrossContact LX Sport tires are asymmetric tires. Symmetric and asymmetric tires can be rotated front-to-back, back-to-front and across. Directional tires cannot be cross rotated unless you have them remounted for the other side of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
You are correct about some tire tread designs. Might have to do a little research because I was always told that with wear, modern radials become directional and therefore rotate front-to-rear. No vehicle in my recent memory since the first set of radials in my '69 Caprice have been cross rotated. This is the reason so many original spares are brand new (and an inefficient waste) because there is no easy way to rotate them in. Good to clarify if others have input.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Actually reverse my R888's all the time when on left tire wear predominant Lime Rock. That is not an issue in the 21st century, but I believe the Conti's are inside/outside specific so they could be rotated as needed if a wear issue arises. Shame they did not give us the 255/50R19 on the circle wheels so I am not goiung to try to extend tire life as that will be my replacement size and it will probably be a higher level of summer performance as I ALWAYS run dedicated snows in the winter. I may try these first as they are M&S rated but my expectations are not high up here in the north where it actually gets cold which is the real performance killer on compromise all season tires that also try to last 60K.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tire Rotation Patterns

Maybe ALFATECH can chip in on the tire rotation. I was also under the impression radial tires could only be rotated front to back and back to front but after doing some reading I learned about directional, non directional, asymmetrical and symmetrical tires. Sure sounds like we can move the Continentals around instead of just front to back and back to front.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’ll take a look on Monday, but we usually do front to back, although I often cross rotate tires at my own discretion when required, no issues with it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tire Rotation Patterns

p.244 of the online manual, https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...elvio/2018-Alfa_Romeo-Stelvio_Base-OM-2nd.pdf , talks about tire rotation but it is not clear, "The rotational direction of the tire must
be taken into consideration when rotating the tires. The recommended rotation pattern for directional tires is shown below." The manual diagram then shows how to rotate Directional tires, but doesn't say anything about Asymmetrical tires, which is what we have.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Without a spare to rotate into the mix and with normal tire wear (perfect so far), I will be rotating front to rear.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did the cross on the Conti LX. I forgot to re-read this thread before taking the car to the tire shop for the rotation. No issue so far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts