Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well did my first tire rotation and of course when I had the wheels off I cleaned and waxed the inside of the rims. Anyone else do this or am I just crazy?

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you have them off, a good time to do it. Did you do front to back or cross?

·
Registered
158 Posts
while we're on the subject, on my previous GM vehicles with TPMS you have to "learn"
the new location of the tires.

I've looked at the Alfa manual and online, and I don't see how to do this, or is the Alfa
smarter than the average GM and does it know how to figure out the new location?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I change rims seasonally. TPMS reset themselves fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Tire rotation is super easy if you have a floor jack and 4 jack stands and a solid (like concrete) LEVEL SURFACE to work on. Garage or shop floor are my preferred locations for this activity....

You can easily lift the front and rear wheel on either driver side or passenger side via front jack locations (you definitely will want to use something to protect the plastic lift point on the vehicle from the metal floor jack saddle (hockey puck; piece of wood like a 2x4 or 2x6; or you can even purchase a special rubber jack guard if you’re feeling particularly fancy :) )

the owner manual shows the lift points (if you look up from the ground under either side it should quickly become pretty clear to you). If it doesn’t, then PLEASE take your vehicle to a dealer or service garage or tire dealer and pay them to rotate your tires and you won’t need to read any further.

once both wheels are off the ground Place a jack stand at the rear under the cross member (make sure the jack stand saddle will clear the aluminum rear differential housing) and place a jack stand in the front under the solid mounting point at the rear sway bar mounting (use a piece of wood; hockey puck; or fancy jack stand rubber guard pad between the vehicle and the jack stand saddle). Then repeat on the opposite side of the vehicle.

once all 4 corners are up and the vehicle is securely supported by properly rated jack stands you can remove the wheels.

the pattern I use is tried and tested for 4WD vehicles. Rear of each side move directly forward to front wheel location of the same side and then cross the front wheels to the opposite side rear location. (rear passenger to front passenger side / rear driver side to front driver side / front passenger to rear driver side / front driver to rear passenger side).

remember, these are aluminum alloys so DO NOT over torque them. (I personally prefer to use torque sticks rate 10 pounds under spec with my impact gun and the finish the job with my manual torque wrench). This can be done completely by hand (the impact gun simply saves time). Ps, I also highly recommend plastic covered lug nut socket to avoid scuffing the lug well of your nice wheels.

Of course those of you who have chosen to install “directional” tires will want to rotate front to back on the same side of the vehicle.

total time to rotate my tires (including extra time spent cleaning and detailing the inside of each wheel) was ~ 45 minutes. You could accomplish the rotation in about 20 minutes start to finish if you aren’t as anal as me in cleaning the inner side of the wheels.

HOPE you all Enjoy your AR as much as I am loving mine. Best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts