Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
a problem encountered by many on the Giulia forum is dealers not reducing air pressure from "shipping" pressures (in the range of 50 psi) to driving presssures (noted on the drivers doorjam).
They are doing the brand a disservice by letting potential customers test drive with "shipping" pressures. The ride can get artificially "harsh" with so much air in the tires and turn shoppers away to other cars.

·
Registered
174 Posts
a problem encountered by many on the Giulia forum is dealers not reducing air pressure from "shipping" pressures (in the range of 50 psi) to driving presssures (noted on the drivers doorjam).
They are doing the brand a disservice by letting potential customers test drive with "shipping" pressures. The ride can get artificially "harsh" with so much air in the tires and turn shoppers away to other cars.
I learned the other day that dealer who sold me my Stelvio just got his drivers license and knows about cars just as much as I do (not a lot)....Which tells me a lot about AR hiring and training program. Half of their salesmen don’t even know what they’re selling:((

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine were delivered with the tires at 52 psi front and back as well and didn't notice it until the 3rd day of ownership when I was playing around with the infotainment system. I adjusted the tire pressure down to manufacture specs (33F/36R) and drove it on those numbers for a couple of weeks and (to me) felt a bit mushy and not as sporty in carving out turns, so I decided to add 4psi to all for tires and adjust to 37F/40R psi... these pressure settings to me felt more sporty.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Over pressure tires are why the Jag F-Thing rode like garbage when I test drove it. The dealer admitted to the pressure issue and apparently it’s a thing with them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So finally had the chance to put some highway miles on my new Stelvio, and we noticed that "pang" of a sound you get when you hit an over inflated inner tube when driving over roadway gaps. It reminded me of seeing this thread on the forum, so decided to investigate. As noted previously - the label on the door jamb (for US vehicles) states 33psi for the front, and 36psi for the rear. Got out my digital pressure gauge, and what do you know - my tires were all inflated around 55-56psi! Kind of a simple thing and surprising the dealers are not catching this. I have a Ti Sport, so have the Conti tires; is there a general agreement here that 33-36psi might be a tad soft for a sporty ride, and people going down to the low 40's instead?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
with Conti's on my car, I run the fronts a few pounds above the doorjam, the rears a couple pounds less, except if carrying stuff or large people in back.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
So finally had the chance to put some highway miles on my new Stelvio, and we noticed that "pang" of a sound you get when you hit an over inflated inner tube when driving over roadway gaps. It reminded me of seeing this thread on the forum, so decided to investigate. As noted previously - the label on the door jamb (for US vehicles) states 33psi for the front, and 36psi for the rear. Got out my digital pressure gauge, and what do you know - my tires were all inflated around 55-56psi! Kind of a simple thing and surprising the dealers are not catching this. I have a Ti Sport, so have the Conti tires; is there a general agreement here that 33-36psi might be a tad soft for a sporty ride, and people going down to the low 40's instead?
with the cold weather mine were running a pound or two low, but would warm up to pressure after a little driving. Now that it's warming up they are back at spec all the time. I did some pretty sporty / spirited driving yesterday and a little more on the way back from a clients office a couple towns over after lunch today, and didn't have any complaints about tire pressure.

I certainly agree that 1-2 PSI below spec starts to feel mushy, but unless you're going on a track I'd say try 1-3 PSI above spec and see how you like it. I think that's going to be the sweet spot for the balance between high performance and comfort for daily driving.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
"warm up to pressure"

you should set your pressures with a cold (undriven) tire - they will increase pressure when driven which warms them up, but the recommendations take that in to consideration.

if they increase by more than 10%, you started with too little.
if they increase by less, you started with too much.

others may use a different guideline, but this works for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
"warm up to pressure"

you should set your pressures with a cold (undriven) tire - they will increase pressure when driven which warms them up, but the recommendations take that in to consideration.

if they increase by more than 10%, you started with too little.
if they increase by less, you started with too much.

others may use a different guideline, but this works for me.
Great trick, according to this I have perfect. 35 psi forward and 38 psi behind. I have a 235/55 R19 but as I see the pressure is the same as the 255.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
BTW, the infotainment system will report tire pressures for all 4 tires. it's under the Car section.

IIRC the manual recommends 33psi front / 36 psi rear for the 255/20 tires on the Ti Sport.

The tire itself actually says / dictates what the maximum pressure is, it has nothing to with the vehicle manufacturer specifications. Adding a few PSI of pressure to the tires is a very common thing to do on performance cars to improve handling. My BMW is spec'd in the manual at 30 PSI, but I found it handles much better at 40 PSI. That tire is rated for 55 PSI, so anything 55 and under should not have uneven wear. My Evoque handled best at 34 rear and 37 in the front (and was SUPER sensitive to left / right pressure imbalances, it would start to gently pull to the lower pressure side while on the highway at even 1 psi difference)

I've been considering adding about 3 PSI of pressure to my Stelvio, but holding off for the moment since the weather is hopefully going to warm very soon. I'm very OCD on the pressures, and when I add air I try to match the pressures to within 0.1 PSI accuracy between the tires.
I have a few articles for you to read about tire pressures. For example, the maximum load pressure for any non truck tire is 35 PSI (that is the pressure the load rating ins calculated at). Overinflation is a hypermiling trick. Handling will only be "better" while tire is "cold", once hot it will get greasey REAL quick. I NEVER added pressure to the Evoque, actually it was best at ~2 psi below door jamb.. Overinflation destroyed ride and it oversteered VERY easily. ALL manufacturers now run as much pressure as possible to reduce rolling resistance, often to the detriment of other aspects of handling. I can't remember the last time a vehicle needed to add pressures for a track day. Most of the time you drop 5-10 psi for cold pressures.
I do wish they used a 255/50R19 with the circle wheels (which are a must for that ALFA look IMHO. Just make them 1/2 inch wider.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Getting overinflated tires in a brand new car is a problem across all brands in the US.
Many bozo dealer PDI mechanics seem to check tire pressures when hot, vs. cold.
Duh -

My dilemma is whether I should believe my trusty pressure gauge or what the tire pressure is according to the Infotainment system,

Does anybody know how accurate the Infotainment system is with its tire pressure readings?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Getting overinflated tires in a brand new car is a problem across all brands in the US.
Many bozo dealer PDI mechanics seem to check tire pressures when hot, vs. cold.
Duh -

My dilemma is whether I should believe my trusty pressure gauge or what the tire pressure is according to the Infotainment system,

Does anybody know how accurate the Infotainment system is with its tire pressure readings?

Depends on how expensive your pressure gauge is. TPMS are accurate +/- 1 PSI

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a headache by the time I got home from the dealership the day I took delivery of my car. It rode like a tank compared to the cars I tried out at the dealership. Checked the tire pressures the next day after tires cooled off and all tires were in mid 40s psi. Surprising the dealerships aren't immediately addressing this issue once they come off the boat.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I will ask at delivery as I do with every brand. It is how I test dealership competency!! If they can't adjust tire pressures.....

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Sure enough I specifically asked them to check this. My salesperson could not read the 30/33 on the placard for the 235/55/R19s. He said he left them +2 psi for safety. When I got home and car had cooled off for some hours I checked everything and they were still 37/40, so his +2 was for 20's (33/36) and he must have assumed 40 degrees It does the vehicle no favors to run overinflated tires. For fuel economy I can promise you with 100% certainty that the manufacturer runs as high a pressure as possible to optimize efficiency. A major negative on our vehicle is that the steering is already lightening quick. I drove home in some good cross winds (20-30mph gusts) and car was all over the place. After adjustment, of course ride was better but far more importantly, SHE TRACKED MUCH BETTER!!! Remember Stelvio weights I have seen are only ~4037lbs, several hundred lighter than most of the competition. I already was asked to give feedback about the delivery and my observations and I told them hyper quick steering and poor ride quality anre HUGE deal brakers. Incredible how stupid they are when trying to sell a vehicle. It is SO easy to adjust!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Glad I checked after they delivered the car, mine was 50/46, and I immediately came to search on here... That's sad the dealer can't do their job right.

Adjusted mine to 36/40 to try. 235/55/19

·
Registered
170 Posts
Everytime I get a new car, the tires pressures are around 45 to 50 Psi.
....and the Stelvio wasn't the exemption to this rule.

The only car that had the recommended tire pressures when I drove it home was a Macan.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
When folks talk about tirepressures, be sure to state 18's, 19's or 20's. 20's run higher pressure...Its a science thing.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts