Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'm running 36 all around on 20's -- am I too low?

No, but you obviously didn't read the tire placard on your driver's door that says 33/36 for the 20 inch wheels!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got my Stelvio last week, it was a loaner with 2000 miles. Thanks to this thread I checked out and my tires were all between 50 and 55 PSI. I have to assume theyve been that way for all 2000 miles on it, what kind of damage if any do you all think I'll see?

·
Registered
215 Posts
After browsing through this thread I went out to my car and noted that my tire pressures were all over the place!

I have since corrected it to match my 20" wheels and perhaps it is in my mind but the car seems to track and handle much better!

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Over the past few days I've got a weird vibration at 80 mph in what feels like my left front tire. I noticed this morning that there is a 5psi difference between LF and RF tires.

LF is at 35psi and RF is at 40. I dropped the car at the shop to haven't had a chance to adjust, but I was wondering if any of you have seen a vibration from tire pressures?

I don't recall ever having a vibration on any of my cars due to tire pressures being off, but I'm usually not off by 5psi between wheels like that.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Over the past few days I've got a weird vibration at 80 mph in what feels like my left front tire. I noticed this morning that there is a 5psi difference between LF and RF tires.

LF is at 35psi and RF is at 40. I dropped the car at the shop to haven't had a chance to adjust, but I was wondering if any of you have seen a vibration from tire pressures?

I don't recall ever having a vibration on any of my cars due to tire pressures being off, but I'm usually not off by 5psi between wheels like that.

Thoughts?
I’ve never seen an issue like that but my wife’s Focus ST gets really squirrelly when the front tires get more than 3-4 PSI out of whack.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem with my tires. I have the 255/45 R20. The 33 psi front and 36 rear seem a bit mushy but also comfortable. I low speed left or right turn and the tires roll over. it sounds like 36 front and 40 rear is acceptable. I'll give that a shot.

Another question. I have the Ti Sport with the Conti Cross contact LX Sport 255/45-R20's, 101H. The 101H = 130 mph. Since the Stelvio is drag limited to 144 mph should we have V rated rubber?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Funny my 235/55R19's are V rated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got my 2020 Stelvio Ti Sport. Tires had 50 psi on tire pressure gauge And the car was saying 56 psi on the electronic system. Dropped it down to 40 all around until I can make sure my gauge is correct.

·
Registered
200 Posts
For summer tires I now have 255/50-19 on stock 19x8 Ti wheels, Pilot Sport 4 SUV. Incredible improvement over stock 235 Conti and right in the middle of Michelin suggested rim width. Looks good as well. Yes you can improve the steering response of a softer sidewalk, less rigid tire by increasing tire pressure. But the tire doesn’t have better overall traction, and over inflation can lead to the tire running too hot. Maybe it seems counter-intuitive but setting up tires for a track day is pretty individual, on my GTV6 on re71r we start at a lower pressure, 27 lbs and adjust from there, versus 31 lbs for street driving...re71’s Don’t like too much heat, it’s a time trial tire not a full day lapping session machine.

For the 107Y XL spec Michelin on the Ti not sport, plenty of load capacity without high pressure, for any regular daily driving. I run 29 up front and 31 in back cold. Checking with my tire shop to look at wear patterns soon and 2500 mile rotation.

Sidewall On 255/50 is pretty tall and it’s not winter so I am not worried about bending a wheel. I will say that the treadwear rating on the Michelin’s is pretty low and I didn’t expect more than 20k, and running real high pressures will just wear the middle of the tires I used to drive 4K/mo but with COVID I am barely driving.

For comparison I do use higher pressure, 33-35 F/R for my winter Nokian Hakkapellita tires or 34-36, as the tires are much more softly constructed and do feel mushy at 30 lbs and no matter what don’t feel safe above 100 mph.

For the original Conti, 33/35 seemed good. I tossed the originals at 25k, maybe they had 5k safe miles left, max.

🍀

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Don't need that much pressure LA. This car does not do well with overinflated tires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m now running the 20’s front at 36 and rear at 39. Let’s see how that works out
I have the same problem with my tires. I have the 255/45 R20. The 33 psi front and 36 rear seem a bit mushy but also comfortable. I low speed left or right turn and the tires roll over. it sounds like 36 front and 40 rear is acceptable. I'll give that a shot.

Another question. I have the Ti Sport with the Conti Cross contact LX Sport 255/45-R20's, 101H. The 101H = 130 mph. Since the Stelvio is drag limited to 144 mph should we have V rated rubber?
How is the 36/40 psi working out ?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Speeds driving style is causing that isue. Slow in fast out not grind into turn generating oversteer or overly aggressive turn in. He is using pressure to compensate for technique and tire style. Run PZeros at proper pressures v an AST overinflated.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts