Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I recalled someone in here talking about a "touchpad" option coming for the stelvio..one like Lexus and Audi has I believe.
Is that true and if so what package will it be under and any ideas on the release?

·
Registered
534 Posts
In the Infotainment manual it shows the touchpad functions and writing inputs "if equipped"
Will the rotary knob be different hardware in the future or is the current one ready but needs to be software enabled? As far as I know no one has managed to find out anything about it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In the Infotainment manual it shows the touchpad functions and writing inputs "if equipped"
Will the rotary knob be different hardware in the future or is the current one ready but needs to be software enabled? As far as I know no one has managed to find out anything about it.
Thanks! More info than I had before

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I've seen video of it working on a Giulia QF, my guess is so far it's only available on the V6's...

·
Registered
534 Posts
From a post on the Giulia forum:

Response from Alfa customer service
Touchpad gesture feature:
"This feature was not released for North America, and at this time no information has been released that it will become available."

Maybe some hope for you European owners?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

"This feature was not released for North America, and at this time no information has been released that it will become available."

Thanks. So no touchpad for us “North Americans” it seems :-(. They gotta take all these “if equipped” out of the manual or at least release an “addendum” with updated info. Too confusing and a tease.

·
Registered
508 Posts

Didn't AR pin their success on the North American market? -- Now, they are limiting features for that very same market??

·
Registered
354 Posts
From my discussion with Ken at Greensboro Alfa, if you have the H/K upgrade, he believes you have the hardware already installed, unlike the Carplay, where there is an additional charge and it has to show on the sticker. His take is that the software is still not available.

I'll try to catch up with the lead tech, Sandy, to see if he believes the same - will check back with this thread after I speak with him.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From my discussion with Ken at Greensboro Alfa, if you have the H/K upgrade, he believes you have the hardware already installed, unlike the Carplay, where there is an additional charge and it has to show on the sticker. His take is that the software is still not available.

I'll try to catch up with the lead tech, Sandy, to see if he believes the same - will check back with this thread after I speak with him.
Thanks!

·
Registered
508 Posts

I don't see how the hardware is installed !! where does the physical touch pad actually go?? Are you talking about the infotainment system being touch capable?

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I don't see how the hardware is installed !! where does the physical touch pad actually go?? Are you talking about the infotainment system being touch capable?
the top of the round infotainment system dial itself is a touchpad, or at least "if equipped" on some vehicles. The assertion here is that our dials do in fact have the touchpad sensor in the top black surface of the dial, but the software to use the touchpad isn't yet functional. Given the low cost of touch sensitive hardware and the additional cost of having two different dial assemblies and different production runs for them, I can entirely believe how this could be possible. If it turns out to be true, this would eliminate many of the complaints people have had with the nav system input.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I find it interesting that on the Alfa Romeo website description of the features it says:

Rotary Controller
With the Stelvio Ti, full control is at your fingertips. From its easy-to-reach central position, the Rotary Controller communicates with the widescreen colour display, delivering full control of the Information and Entertainment system with a single gesture. Simple yet powerful, it’s another way Alfa Romeo enhances the driving experience.

I interpret gesture to mean the touchpad so it makes me wonder if something is planned for it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I find it interesting that on the Alfa Romeo website description of the features it says:

Rotary Controller
With the Stelvio Ti, full control is at your fingertips. From its easy-to-reach central position, the Rotary Controller communicates with the widescreen colour display, delivering full control of the Information and Entertainment system with a single gesture. Simple yet powerful, it’s another way Alfa Romeo enhances the driving experience.

I interpret gesture to mean the touchpad so it makes me wonder if something is planned for it.

Just like something is planned for CarPlay I suppose. Whispers, rumors, literature, etc., and nobody can answer anything because nobody knows anything.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Exactly on the question of the rotary knob hardware - and, why bother making it look like it, if in fact it is not a touch sensitive knob? However,...

I would the expect the device to be a HK product; maybe that is where we turn for a final check on what has been delivered to date (my production date was 10/2017); so, what HK hardware was being installed then (and now, and going forward), and is in fact what looks like a touch sensitive surface, a touch sensitive surface, or not. I mean, everyone I've spoken with says the lack of operability for that item specifically, is a software issue...

Anybody know any HK peeps in the automotive side?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly on the question of the rotary knob hardware - and, why bother making it look like it, if in fact it is not a touch sensitive knob? However,...

I would the expect the device to be a HK product; maybe that is where we turn for a final check on what has been delivered to date (my production date was 10/2017); so, what HK hardware was being installed then (and now, and going forward), and is in fact what looks like a touch sensitive surface, a touch sensitive surface, or not. I mean, everyone I've spoken with says the lack of operability for that item specifically, is a software issue...

Anybody know any HK peeps in the automotive side?
Thanks for updating. I don't get all the delays and problems with releasing the software, why is it so hard for Alfa? Its very frustrating and confusing trying to purchase the car. Who the heck knows when and if the "if equipped" options are ever going to actually be functional. I am glad I am finding this out now because if I ordered/purchased and two months later a feature came out I wanted and wasn't aware at purchase I would not be happy at all (ie the gesture lift gate, touchpad and actual Car Play functionality - not just hardware and no idea when the software is coming)

In my opinion Alfa should not have released a "half finished" product with all these "its coming" and "if equipped" then on top of it no real answers on when those things are coming. I understand some of you on here aren't waiting for those features and are interested in the pure drivability and design of the car which there is no doubt they nailed. But for the rest of us and a good amount of the buying public in the US we do want these things in a luxury car purchase, much less expensive non luxury brands offer these things and more. Perhaps they should have produced a smaller amount of inventory to cater to those not caring much about the other tech stuff we do. Then when all the other features are ready (and not just "if equipped" or "coming" ) do a full release. I'm frustrated I cannot pull the trigger and there is no real information from Alfa.

·
Registered
354 Posts
ALFA USA - let's make it right, please...

Thanks for updating. I don't get all the delays and problems with releasing the software, why is it so hard for Alfa? Its very frustrating and confusing trying to purchase the car. Who the heck knows when and if the "if equipped" options are ever going to actually be functional. I am glad I am finding this out now because if I ordered/purchased and two months later a feature came out I wanted and wasn't aware at purchase I would not be happy at all (ie the gesture lift gate, touchpad and actual Car Play functionality - not just hardware and no idea when the software is coming)

In my opinion Alfa should not have released a "half finished" product with all these "its coming" and "if equipped" then on top of it no real answers on when those things are coming. I understand some of you on here aren't waiting for those features and are interested in the pure drivability and design of the car which there is no doubt they nailed. But for the rest of us and a good amount of the buying public in the US we do want these things in a luxury car purchase, much less expensive non luxury brands offer these things and more. Perhaps they should have produced a smaller amount of inventory to cater to those not caring much about the other tech stuff we do. Then when all the other features are ready (and not just "if equipped" or "coming" ) do a full release. I'm frustrated I cannot pull the trigger and there is no real information from Alfa.

I hear you loud and clear, and truly hope ALFA USA will put some backbone and muscle into the game, and demand that these Stelvios are fitted or refitted with the equipment that's been marketed for these very new and super vehicles - I bought every available upgrade for my three month old 2018 TI SPORT, except the donut tire, and I'm in the same situation; the half of the manual (that I received with my Stelvio), about the upgrades (e.g., HK sound system) and packages I thought I purchased in those highest level upgrades and packages available, either do not work, or do not exist, or may or may not ever exist, but they're being advertised and promoted, and were in the brochure given to me before I made my purchase.

I'm glad to have my Stelvio, now; I love it. I knew when Alfa decided to come back to the US, they'd have great cars to offer, and everything about driving the Ti Sport is thrilling. But it does anger me a bit that Alfa USA can pay for half time reports on televised college basketball games (last night's Kansas/K-State game), but can't install a rear door lift sensor in a $54k vehicle, or working touch pad, or...

The real advertising is here, Alfa, with your owners and all the others that have yet to buy but know what Alfa means to those of us that love to drive, so lets put some money in that, getting our cars right for the market. I loved driving all three of my former Alfas, and love driving this new Alfa even more, so I'm good, but as can be seen clearly in the Stelvio Forum conversations, the market wants this stuff to be right.

Good luck to all...

PS: I have been using the ALFA USA name as if it is a legal name or something, I'm not sure about that, but I know there is a leadership team here in the USA (Pieter Hogeveen is/was director - invite sent, but no link on linked-in) , and that group is to whom generally I refer, that need to get this stuff straight - these beautiful cars should be brought in line with the advertising and expectations set in the US market. I could have had any car in the class, as I'm sure most Alfa owners could, but I chose Stelvio and ALFA for the thrill and throttle, and I love it, but I do wish ALFA USA could just go ahead and deliver on the expectations their media has set, so we can get on with the fun:wink , and someday I might actually wave to another Alfa on the road...

Reactions: kuban

·
Registered
25 Posts
What follows here is pure speculation:

In the North American market (at least here in the US) they better make **** sure the software released works properly; warranty costs could potentially be excessive if it didn't with people demanding replacement of entire infotainment systems because of a glitchy touchpad.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have to get a magnifying glass out. I am sure somewhere in very small fine print the owners manual would state “Alfa has a business plan, if equipped”. Yes, I’m being sarcastic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts