Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tow capacity for the EU Stelvio is 2300 kg or 5000 lbs while the US Stelvio just allow max 3000 lbs (or 1362kg) with exactly the same engine etc specs. I have asked three different US Alfa reps but no one can explain why the difference. There is a tow package available in the options list.

Anybody running in to the same problem ? I plan to tow my 59 Spider racer with a US Stelvio and am stuck with my old F-150 now.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
"59 spider"
with an aluminum trailer you should be good. anywhere.

the vehicles are the same, the factory hitch is the same, the difference lies in government regs, or perhaps warranty concerns. I guess in Europe they think you will drive carefully with a heavy load, while here they think you will be stupid.

·
Registered
218 Posts
There is a whole article out on the internet about EU vs US Towing capacities and it is largely around regulation. Theres also a lot of math in how they balance trailers in the EU different (IE Tongue weight, wheel loading) than they do in the US. Also, most of the EU has restrictive speed limits while towing where the US largely does not.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport. Premium everything. Vesuvio Grey with Red interior
38 Posts
The Diesel engine version towing capacity is 2330 Kg, or 5100+ lbs braked weight. However the 4-cyl Gasoline (or petrol) versions are rated at 2000 Kg, or 4400 lbs braked weight. But in the US Alfa states 3000 lbs for the 4-cyl Gasoline versions. The interesting thing is that the class II hitches available for the Stelvio in the US are also rated at 4000 lbs. So, there's that. I have a feeling that the car can handle the hitch limit just fine. It's really down to an experienced driver if you want to exceed the 3000 lbs limit.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The Diesel engine version towing capacity is 2330 Kg, or 5100+ lbs braked weight. However the 3-cyl Gasoline (or petrol) versions are rated at 2000 Kg, or 4400 lbs braked weight......
Since when is there a 3 cyl version anywhere ??? :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
....I have a feeling that the car can handle the hitch limit just fine. It's really down to an experienced driver if you want to exceed the 3000 lbs limit.
Wonderful, we’re going to stake lives on someone’s feelings. Uh, not me. And an “experienced driver” can’t make up for any inherent marginal braking ability in an emergency. Who wants to be limited by overheating the drive system when towing uphill? Feel however you want, but I’m not taking chances. YMMV.

·
238 Posts
Wonderful, we’re going to stake lives on someone’s feelings. Uh, not me. And an “experienced driver” can’t make up for any inherent marginal braking ability in an emergency. Who wants to be limited by overheating the drive system when towing uphill? Feel however you want, but I’m not taking chances. YMMV.
Isn't that a bit harsh?

The Stelvio is OK to tow 4400 pounds in Europe. Yet is unsafe to tow more than 3000 in the U.S.?

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport. Premium everything. Vesuvio Grey with Red interior
38 Posts
Since when is there a 3 cyl version anywhere ??? :confused:
Yeah, that's a typo on my part... 🙄4-cyl is correct, not 3. I fixed it. I must've been thinking of my motorcycle... 😎🏍

·
Registered
228 Posts
Stelvio 2.0 has plenty of braking capacity, and plenty of horsepower to tow a spider on an aluminum trailer with spares, and is not a lightweight vehicle itself. Focus on trailer brakes, transmission/differential and electrical system, trailer length, tongue weight, total load with spares, weight distribution on the trailer, and avoid lugging the engine. Sounds like you have towed before and know this. I would always want trailer brakes for a trailer over 2,000 lbs. You will technically void your warranty, so don't say you blew your tranny towing a 4,000 lb trailer. Keeping speeds reasonable like towing with anything will ease the strain on an expensive driveline and provide trailer control.

Stealth makes a nice looking hitch, I have thought about it for the smallest airstream trailer. Alfa made a trailer module. Does that include electric trailer brakes? Since the modern cars are sensitive to circuit loads, I wouldn't want to be splicing into existing wiring not only for trailer brakes but for lights. Buy a new AGM battery with the largest CCA, preferably a deep cycle battery. Don't know if the stock alfa tranny cooler has enough capacity, probably does if you don't abuse it and you can probably get a bigger one installed. Not sure about the center and rear diff cooling though, at least change the tranny, center and rear diff fluids.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I personally am not planning on towing at the 4000 lb limit. I'll be towing an Alto R1723 camper plus gear. So I expect to be around the 3000 lb mark. The Alto camper indeed has electrical brakes. My choice for hitch is the Draw-Tite hitch for two reasons. 1. It installs and looks like the OEM. And 2. It's under $200 (the Stealth hitch is almost $1000 if you want to tow). Not to be plugging any e-commerce sites but e-trailer has a custom plug and play wiring harness for the Stelvio and reasonable prices so that's where I got my hitch assembly. Considering I plan on a total weight while towing of about 75 to 80% of the Stelvio' s capacity, I doubt I will need to upgrade battery and coolers but I will keep an eye on performance and temperatures for a while. Once I get my trailer, it will be a fun experiment - the Altos have a delivery time of about a year at this point... [Sigh] :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts