Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone. Finally got the Class II 2” receiver hitch installed on my Stelvio. It was custom made by Curt Hitch in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I do not have a part number but you can find them on the web. Mine was the prototype so, they are just ramping up to make more. Hitches are what they do! I just tried uploading some photos. They are too large for the Forum. The hitch looks awesome. They did Not cut the bumper. It sits high and tight to the bumper and does not impact ground clearance by more than an inch or so. I don’t plan to do any heavy 4-wheeling with my Alfa, so I am not concerned. I do not have a price for you because I negotiated a free Class 2 hitch as part of my deal, so the dealer covered it. It has 3500 pound towing and about 350 pound tongue weight. Works for me!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
thanks for posting - that's great news.

do you know if it bolts in using existing (factory) holes, or did he weld yours in place?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great news! Yes, Curt Hitch is a known manufacturer. I've one on my non-Stelvio vehicle.

It was an easy bolt on, with a $10. muffler hanger wrench (unhooks muffler from hanger, rehooks). I used a strap around the hitch from the body as a safety, raised it up with a floor jack, and tightened the strap. Left loose enough to move it around to align with threaded holes in the frame.

Hopefully you can resize your photos to post. (Export or Save As at a lower quality.)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for the update, please post pics when you can

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
Great- heading to WI in early March. Do you think or do you have contact info for Curt- I can wait while it's installed? Great news + thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding is that mine was the very first Stelvio hitch they made. They now have a part number for it, so it can be ordered. I can not tell for sure if it is bolted on, but I would imagine that it is. They did a super job. Excellent work.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Greetings everyone. Finally got the Class II 2” receiver hitch installed on my Stelvio. It was custom made by Curt Hitch in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I do not have a part number but you can find them on the web. Mine was the prototype so, they are just ramping up to make more. Hitches are what they do! I just tried uploading some photos. They are too large for the Forum. The hitch looks awesome. They did Not cut the bumper. It sits high and tight to the bumper and does not impact ground clearance by more than an inch or so. I don’t plan to do any heavy 4-wheeling with my Alfa, so I am not concerned. I do not have a price for you because I negotiated a free Class 2 hitch as part of my deal, so the dealer covered it. It has 3500 pound towing and about 350 pound tongue weight. Works for me!!
This is good news... thinking... what did you do for the light connection? Did you go flat or round (or both) and is there a kit for that? - Thanks for the update. Pictures please when you can.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have tried to upload photos several times. The site won’t let me. The hitch is made from tubular (round) steel. Painted black. It is tucked way back, so no danger of hitting your shins on it. Also, up very high. It is masterfully done. I still am waiting for the wiring to be done by my dealer. They have a call into Alfa/FCA to come up with a wiring harness. Otherwise, it will be done by a local hitch shop. I will go with a Flat connector as my boat and ATV trailer are flat.

·
Super Moderator
1,504 Posts
Thanks! Flat works with no need for brakes. Very much appreciated. More on that when you know please.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow, very nice, that does look great! Cool they didn't have to modify the bumper/diffuser at all - that's a really clean looking install. Thanks so much for the pics!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks DrM! Looks perfect to me. The market place filled in the void left by the Alfa Romeo factory. The market is no fool!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was watching The Grand Tour on Friday night and they were doing a competition between the Stelvio Q, Macau, and a Land Rover of some sort. All great cars. However, when they got to the towing competition, Jeremy Clarkson got rid of his Stelvio and began using a Ford F-150 pickup. He said that the Stelvio can not take a hitch because the exhaust system is in the way. CLEARLY, MY STELVIO, WHICH NOW HAS A HITCH PROVES HIM WRONG. I hope he will correct his view on an upcoming show. I love those 3 guys.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
"proves him wrong"

yes, but having a quad order in, I am wondering what the difference in the indercarriage/exhaust routing might be.

any pics of the underneath would be appreciated - there may be some minor mods required, and Curt won't know until they do one.

it does make you wonder why AR didn't just drive a couple vehicles over to these guys (or someone else) for fitting, so the dealers and customers wouldn't have this frustration, and possible lost sales.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson got rid of his Stelvio and began using a Ford F-150 pickup. He said that the Stelvio can not take a hitch because the exhaust system is in the way.
I though the same thing as Clarkson (that the muffler is directly in the way) when I looked under my Stelvio a few weeks back.

Glad to hear I was mistaken.

And I second what lost1750 says- Alfa could have saved themselves a lot of grief if they had a clear plan for the hitch known to the dealers(even if it is delayed).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Was an available option when I ordered yesterday in the US. $450 no brake controller. No pictures either. My best guess is it replaces the diffuser in the rear and passes through it. That would explain not being available for the QV since it has a diffuser which does things.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts