Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Trailer hitch / towbar

16K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  ciclismoamericano 
#1 ·
Hello! Does anyone know if it is possible to install towbar on Stelvio Quadrifoglio 2019?

//Linkan

#12 ·
You must be the guinea pig. I emailed them and they said they have a Quad coming in for fitting and should have a version in several weeks or so.

#5 ·
No cutting on plastic required on the Quad?

#6 ·
For the stealth hitch there is a notch cut around the component that is permanently attached that the reciever slides into. The notch is in the part of the diffuser that is horizontal so can't be seen unless you are low to the ground and looking for it.

The attached picture is taken from the ground looking up at the bottom of the Quad.

Attachments

#11 ·
No guarantees on this but - they sent mine with the tow module.
It was returned as the dealer said everything was already in existing module.
Maybe, maybe not. It was
extra work to add the module, which they deemed unnecessary /duplication.
I sure dont have an issue without it.
What they did have to add was an aftermarket exhaust hanger. Early 2018 quad. Perhaps earlier base modules needed the module?

#16 · (Edited)
There could be some truth in that. I had a car that utilized some threaded holes in the bumper for removable bike racks and tow bars. When I would put the tow bar on the car it felt a little stiffer in the backend. Almost like putting on a thicker swaybar. Not quite that aggressive, but you could definitely tell there was a tiny bit less flex when going hitting a hard bump.

#18 ·
I think it's beyond very odd, essentially nonsense.

the hitch assembly itself is steel, and replaces a very lightweight aluminum bar. so it's like putting a toolbox or something in your trunk. I sure don't notice the difference.

with my aluminum trailer and motorcycle, the towed weight is about 500 pounds - roughly a couple big Swedes in the back seat. I expect if I was driving like an SOB I'd be more concerned about the bike fling off than any effect on the handling - because in general use it's like there is nothing there.

a 3000 pound load will be different - but no different than with any other like sized tow vehicle, except maybe the brake and nanny systems on this are better, making it maybe better dynamically than similar tow choices.
no, you don't drive it like an Alfa with a heavy load, but you can drive it like a tow vehicle.

if you were regularily towing the maximum, you would likely be happier with a bigger tow vehicle - when you were towing.

#21 ·
The stealth hitch a work of art, incredibly good design, went on my quadrifoglio perfectly, looks amazing as it can’t be seen. BUT it weighs way way way too much. Like 75lbs, which doesn’t sound like a lot, but it is when its hanging on the very rear most end of your vehicle. This doesn’t even count the weight of my bike rack. You do take a large cross member piece off to replace with the hitch, but this piece you take off is aluminum alloy and weighs only 5lbs at most. So if you get this hitch be ready for added weight, like driving around with a bags of gravel in the back. It’s slightly noticeable. In some ways it’s good as it evened out some slight jumping of the rear suspension but there is definitely a noticeable difference in weight.

#23 ·
I had my hitch installed a couple weeks ago and am happy with it. Towed my boat to the lake last weekend just fine and when the hitch is not installed you see nothing unless you're under the car.

Before I bought mine I called the people at Stealth Hitches and they told me the total weight of everything that's bolted to our car is about 30lbs. The box mine was delivered in, including cross bar, wiring harness, brackets, receiver and ball etc weighted a total of 59lbs. The receiver and ball which are removable when not in use are about 13 lbs so subtracting the weight of the shipping box, materials etc and I'd say 30-40lbs for the components that are bolted to the car is correct.

I've autox'ed and competitively raced shifter karts for the last 15 years and I thought my butt dyno/gyro was pretty decent but if you're actually able to feel what amounts to less than a 1% change in the weight of your 4000lb+ SUV, I'd say Kimmi Raikkonen should be fearing for his current seat in Alfa's F1 car. :wink

#24 ·
It’s like driving around with two bags of salt or gravel in your trunk. You can definitely feel it and it slows the machine and it’s not necessary that a hitch weight this much. Like I said it’s installed on mine. The piece that gets taken off, weighs less than 3 lbs, it’s aluminum. This is at least 40 lbs, hanging on the very tip of the rear end. It has a lot of leverage on the overall dynamic. You can totally feel this. If no one else does then great for them, I wish I didn’t notice it! I just want to plug my bike rack in. And I’m happy to be able to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.