Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I’m new to this and I hope someone on here can help or at least point me in The right direction , so here goes !! I have a an Alfa stelvio qv 2019 and
I had to replace my transfer box (apparently) and the dealers quoted me 3 1/2 thousand pounds needless to say I thought it would be best if I tried to source a secondhand one which I did and replaced it . Unfortunately after having replaced it the odometer flashing which I thought required a proxy alignment also a message came up on the dashboard saying all wheel drive temporarily unavailable which I’m assuming means the vehicle is in rear wheel drive mode only I was then told by the dealers that the dtcm will need to be reprogrammed to my car becouse it’s a secondhand item so it will still have the donor cars chassis number etc and it won’t work in my car until then .. I just took it to Stoneacre of Romeo in Doncaster today and there’s tried to reprogram it but the master technician told me that it’s impossible because there is no option for it to be done so my question here is guys is there anyway that you guys know of that this can be done i.e. can someone reprogram the DTCM actuator/control module so it will work in my car thank you guys.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
I had my transfer case replaced from the dealer through warranty recently. Are you sure you want to mess with the transfer case that was designed for RWD to AWD? I would return the one you got and try reinstalling the one for AWD. I know the cost will end up near or even more than what the dealer may have initially quoted, but we live and learn this way.... If someone knows how to do this, I'm all ears to learn the process as well.

BTW, it appears that this transfer case seems to be an issue for many of our cars. Why isn't Alfa Romeo addressing this inherent problem? meaning, what really is the failure? Just wondering...

· Registered
6,325 Posts
2 cars is many?

I have slammed my transfer case against rocks and it's fine. Defects happen man.
Rock incident was almost 30k miles ago so yes I feel safe saying it's fine.

As for the OPs question wish I knew, will see if I can discover the answer, though I am going to guess maybe there is an issue with the secondhand transfer case.. was it by chance out of wrecked vehicle? Why was it second hand what happened to the original car it was on?

· Registered
6,325 Posts
I waisted too much time with our favorite troll this morning and have actual real life stuff but did a quick search... Found you and two others. So... 3...definitely could miss a few.

Still not enough for a real problem. Defects happen. Not going to assume every complaint about "feeling the car shift" is a bad transfer case. Well known fact this car is more mechanical then most... That means you feel shifts. Which alot of people aren't used to.

OP... You should be checking the warranty on your second hand transfer case.

Very important, did the master tech tell you there was no option to reprogram because the unit doesn't need to be programmed? Or because it was missing? Ie: there should be an option.. but isn't......

· Registered
310 Posts
I don't understand why the car needs to have programming done if only the transfer case was replaced, and not the control module.
I would assume that the control module would stay in the vehicle.
Unless the transfer case being used is from a non-QV vehicle, or has different gearing than the original transfer case did.

· Registered
6,325 Posts
That's a good call.

If the transfer case is from a 4cyl...very little possibility it will work. Even reprogrammed... Even if everything is the same as far as gearing... There will be differences if only in the electronics.

I haven't looked it up... But I bet they 4 and 6 have different part numbers for there transfer case. Maybe not though. Worth being positive about if this case isn't from a QV. Kinda assume the OP would source one from a QV, but if not ....

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys it seems that there is a little confusion going on at the moment maybe I didn’t explain properly so I’ll try again. The transfer case itself has been replaced along with the control module the transfer case I’m assuming it’s completely fine the problem is that the control module that I have put in that came with the new transfer case has the old vehicles Vin number in its logs and therefore will not work in my vehicle what I want to know is that if there is a way that I can reprogram the control module so it then has my vehicles vin number in it so it will work. I do still have the original control module that was from my transfer case and I’m going to try and put that one onto this transfer case maybe that will work but the issue is I wasn’t sure where the initial problem lye’d which resulted in me having to change the transfer case in the first place .

· Registered
310 Posts
The transfer case itself has been replaced along with the control module the transfer case I’m assuming it’s completely fine the problem is that the control module that I have put in that came with the new transfer case has the old vehicles Vin number in its logs and therefore will not work in my vehicle what I want to know is that if there is a way that I can reprogram the control module so it then has my vehicles vin number in it so it will work.

I do still have the original control module that was from my transfer case and I’m going to try and put that one onto this transfer case maybe that will work but the issue is I wasn’t sure where the initial problem lied which resulted in me having to change the transfer case in the first place .
Yeah, you should start with just the transfer case, and use your original module.

What was the actual original issue you were having, by the way?
Most transfer case issues are typically resolved with a fluid replacement when it's harsh shift related.

· Registered
656 Posts
Hi guys I’m new to this and I hope someone on here can help or at least point me in The right direction , so here goes !! I have a an Alfa stelvio qv 2019 and
I had to replace my transfer box (apparently) and the dealers quoted me 3 1/2 thousand pounds needless to say I thought it would be best if I tried to source a secondhand one which I did and replaced it . Unfortunately after having replaced it the odometer flashing which I thought required a proxy alignment also a message came up on the dashboard saying all wheel drive temporarily unavailable which I’m assuming means the vehicle is in rear wheel drive mode only I was then told by the dealers that the dtcm will need to be reprogrammed to my car becouse it’s a secondhand item so it will still have the donor cars chassis number etc and it won’t work in my car until then .. I just took it to Stoneacre of Romeo in Doncaster today and there’s tried to reprogram it but the master technician told me that it’s impossible because there is no option for it to be done so my question here is guys is there anyway that you guys know of that this can be done i.e. can someone reprogram the DTCM actuator/control module so it will work in my car thank you guys.
Hi there,

If you would like some additional assistance, please contact Alfa Romeo UK at 00 800 222 784 00!

Lex
Alfa Romeo Cares

· Registered
5 Posts
I’ve now tried my original dtcm and it has brought back the original error message , so the original transfer case was not faulty as Alfa advised me and only the dtcm is at fault so I either need to buy a new on from Alfa at a cost of nearly 2 grand or find a way to reprogram the one that I have that came with the second hand transfer case .. 😭😭😭😭

· Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,

If you would like some additional assistance, please contact Alfa Romeo UK at 00 800 222 784 00!

Lex
Alfa Romeo Cares
Hi mate thanks but Alfa have treated me extremely poorly , my car rams out of warranty whilst it was with them for 2 months getting some warranty work done [rear diff ) was replaced , and a week after I hit the car back this current issue started and when I asked them for good will they flat out refused it without even considering it .. I am so very dissatisfied and disappointed ☹

· Registered
6,325 Posts
Wow....... So you had the rear diff replaced, THEN the transfer case because it threw a code after getting it back from the differential replacement? Now it looks like the problem with the transfer case was the controller and you might have gotten a bad 2nd hand case?

Yeah....dissatisfied and disappointed is entirely justifiable. Truly sorry to hear all that..... Might be enough to even make someone like me want to buy an EV.

· Registered
310 Posts
I’ve now tried my original dtcm and it has brought back the original error message
car ran out of warranty whilst it was with them for 2 months getting some warranty work done [rear diff ) was replaced , and a week after I hit the car back this current issue started
I asked this before, and you never answered it, so I will ask again:

What was the ORIGINAL PROBLEM that you had with the car that made them want to replace the rear differential, and then the transfer case and the module for the transfer case?

And honestly, if they were waiting for months to fix the rear differential, which they thought was the solution to whatever your problem was, but it wasn't the solution, it should still be on them to resolve the original problem UNDER WARRANTY because you brought it to them while it was under warranty for this problem, and they chose the wrong part to fix.

There are some companies that can rewrite automotive computer modules, but I don't know if your module is one they can rewrite.
You would need to search google for those companies, contact them, and tell them you have your original module, and a spare that you picked up, and see what they can do for you.

· Registered
5 Posts
I asked this before, and you never answered it, so I will ask again: What was the ORIGINAL PROBLEM that you had with the car that made them want to replace the rear differential, and then the transfer case and the module for the transfer case? And honestly, if they were waiting for months to fix the rear differential, which they thought was the solution to whatever your problem was, but it wasn't the solution, it should still be on them to resolve the original problem UNDER WARRANTY because you brought it to them while it was under warranty for this problem, and they chose the wrong part to fix. There are some companies that can rewrite automotive computer modules, but I don't know if your module is one they can rewrite. You would need to search google for those companies, contact them, and tell them you have your original module, and a spare that you picked up, and see what they can do for you.
Guys it seems that there is a little confusion going on at the moment maybe I didn’t explain properly so I’ll try again. The transfer case itself has been replaced along with the control module the transfer case I’m assuming it’s completely fine the problem is that the control module that I have put in that came with the new transfer case has the old vehicles Vin number in its logs and therefore will not work in my vehicle what I want to know is that if there is a way that I can reprogram the control module so it then has my vehicles vin number in it so it will work. I do still have the original control module that was from my transfer case and I’m going to try and put that one onto this transfer case maybe that will work but the issue is I wasn’t sure where the initial problem lye’d which resulted in me having to change the transfer case in the first place .
Hi mate , the original issue was that the rear diff went bang , it was pretty obvious..it was as replaced under warranty, but it took Alfa 2 months becouse the part was on back order , and whilst waiting for the part the warranty on my car expired , then a week after getting my car back , an error message came up saying “derive atv “ and awd unavailable.. it then went back to Alfa and they said it needed the the pto unit (transfer box) replacing, the dealer contacted Alfa head office for a good Will but Alfa head office immediately as in the same day refused even tho my car was only 2 months out of warranty ans only has 23000 miles on it .. so I then found a second hand transfer box and replaced it along with a the dtcm that came with the second hand transfer box .. it then started giving me. Different error message “ awd temporarily unavailable “ alas the odometer started flashing , I tried to have the unit reprogrammed at Alfa ans also tried to ahead a proxy alignment done but they Alfa technicians said it wasn’t possible becouse the dtcm unit has the donor cars vin on it so I would need to buy a new one .. I then put my original stem on the second hand transfer box and the original message came up saying again “ service atv .. etc .. which leads me to believe that there was nothing wrong with my transfer case and only my dtcm was/is faulty .. hope that makes sense … I will do a search for companies that can reprogram the doner dtcm .. thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts