Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the level on Turbo coolant tank is dropping a bit; that may signal other problems...

Brings up a point...what is everybody using for coolant, and where are they getting it?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
196 Posts
@Darth Stelvio

Read post #6 of the linked thread.
It is imperative that you check (have checked) for leaking of coolant around the O-Rings to the turbo.

REASON: Some time before my ownership, the O-RIngs were replaced on my Stelvio, and the software upgraded to allow for a 10 minute cool off period after the Stelvio is turned off.

Despite the Software update & the turbo being repaired with the new spec. Orange Colored O Rings, recently they still were in the process of failing - again...

After running errands around town, and garaging the Stelvio, I was catching a whiff of the distinctive sweet smell of Coolant, and the level in the turbo overflow tank was dropping ever so slightly.

Scheduled a warranty service, and brought it in.

Radiator was leaking, as well as turbo O-Rings were failing.

Tech told me that the turbo O-Ring leak starts out small, as the O-Rings begin hardening from the heat.

Eventually the slow leak will turn into a burst dam, and out of nowhere clear out the overflow tank... Engine shuts down and car gets towed into dealership...

Link to factory orange colored coolant/concentrate listed BELOW.

Turn into 50/50% with ONLY with DISTILLED WATER - Available at any grocery store for $1 a Gallon.

Do not use tap water!

Hope all this helps and close the loop ;)

LINK: 2018 Radiator Leak on a 2.0 Liter / Drivers Side Tank /...

Liquid Bottle cap Fluid Automotive tire Bottle

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
You can use the paraflu up, mopar, or any OAT (not HOAT) coolant

Liquid Camera accessory Fluid Material property Gas

If in a warm climate and you want the best performance you can do distilled water with super coolant. This is what i do on the giulia. No need on the stelvio

·
Registered
121 Posts
Reactions: Darth Stelvio

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
250 Posts
Stock is orange, Mopar is purple. (think I have that right)
I asked the service manager about the difference.
He stated that it caused a confusion for them as well, but that they are the same with a different tint.

Also, not to assume, are you sure which tank is for turbo intercooler?
I had assumed the tank by the passenger side firewall was for turbo. It is not.
But that was the one dropping in fluid level.
I found a leak along my radioed and just had it replaced under warranty.
That also went ahead and replaced the turbo inlet o rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts