Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Since California forced me to take my Stelvio in to get the ECU remapped to meet California emissions (I had to have the pink note just so I could register the vehicle) the stelvio drives like it is towing a boat behind it. The power is gone. I drove it like this for months now and it just sat in the back of my head how it just does not feel right. The other day my wife and I wanted to do a cheap controlled experiment for fun. We went to an airfield and tried a drag race. She drove a 2019 subaru forester and I drove the stelvio. 1/8 mile that is all. Well, the forester won time after time. Not by much (maybe by a bumper). We even tried a rolling execration test at 40, 60, and 80 mph. Still the forester was faster.
This really took the air out of my so to speak. So I took my Stelvio to the dealer to see if there was an issue with the car. I met to other couples there who had the same experience. The dealer said nothing is wrong but they have had multiple complaints about this issue.
We love the car and the styling but part of the whole package was the power it used to have.
Our solution turned out to be that we switched cars. The wife does not mind the lack of throttle response and the subaru gives me the acceleration I desire. The subaru has a torque curve adjust button that allows the driver to get most torque right away!
Anyway. Just venting. Still love the style and handling of the stelvio and the exclusivity.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
"Since California forced me to take my Stelvio in to get the ECU remapped to meet California emissions (I had to have the pink note just so I could register the vehicle)'

first I've heard of this, AR's are 50 state vehicles.
something new going on in CA?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This was a recall for emissions. After the remap you would get a pink paper showing your vehicle had it done and you sent that to the DMV.

This was the FCA notice regarding stelvio not complying with emissions on board diagnostics regulation requirements for California. They reprogramed the PCM to enforce compliance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats rough dude, I'd be pissed if my Stelvio didn't do the one thing its really good at. Sometimes it acts like a moron and I'm pretty sure its slowly destroying my knee, but I forgive it for its drive lol.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
"On board diagnostics for california"
I'm not sure how that would or could result in loss of power .... but it's a simple enough reason for federal standards instead of special california ones

·
Registered
58 Posts
All,

Since California forced me to take my Stelvio in to get the ECU remapped to meet California emissions (I had to have the pink note just so I could register the vehicle) the stelvio drives like it is towing a boat behind it. The power is gone. I drove it like this for months now and it just sat in the back of my head how it just does not feel right. The other day my wife and I wanted to do a cheap controlled experiment for fun. We went to an airfield and tried a drag race. She drove a 2019 subaru forester and I drove the stelvio. 1/8 mile that is all. Well, the forester won time after time. Not by much (maybe by a bumper). We even tried a rolling execration test at 40, 60, and 80 mph. Still the forester was faster.
This really took the air out of my so to speak. So I took my Stelvio to the dealer to see if there was an issue with the car. I met to other couples there who had the same experience. The dealer said nothing is wrong but they have had multiple complaints about this issue.
We love the car and the styling but part of the whole package was the power it used to have.
Our solution turned out to be that we switched cars. The wife does not mind the lack of throttle response and the subaru gives me the acceleration I desire. The subaru has a torque curve adjust button that allows the driver to get most torque right away!
Anyway. Just venting. Still love the style and handling of the stelvio and the exclusivity.

Thanks for listening.

Eurocompulsion Phase 1 will fix this problem.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ouch. A 2019 Subaru Forester has a 0-60mph time of 9.6 sec. That is slow. So the software change made your Stelvio slower than that ? Not good at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ouch. A 2019 Subaru Forester has a 0-60mph time of 9.6 sec. That is slow. So the software change made your Stelvio slower than that ? Not good at all.

Seriously, my brain has a headache trying to comprehend the OP's situation. So the ECU recall added 5 entire seconds to the Stelvio's 0-60?

·
Registered
349 Posts
How can a brand new car be forced to re map a engine??? That seems crazy.

Eurocompulsion like some one mentioned you can program a few modes into it so pram one to pass this test then set to factory or do the upgrade to get it maximized for more HP.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I did what @lost1750GTV mentioned because we just acquired some property in vegas. The remap did the trick and now my stelvio is registered in vegas. The dealer would not remove the mapping unless my car was registered in clark county.

·
Registered
246 Posts
All,

Thanks for listening.
is it still like this??? California sucks Im sorry gas prices are too high and the politicians are aholes, homeless all over in LA and San Fran, even Sacramento. Taxes are too high. Move to NY and have the ECU reprogrammed llollooolol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts