Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So yesterday I was out walking my dogs like I do everyday. In the same basic area I go to most days, which is less than two miles from my house. I drive down a pretty easy sandy road, diverting through a dry river bed to a nice open spot a few miles from - and out of sight of - an area people use for target practice with firearms.

Pulled far off the side being careful to not destroy plant life, parked and started the walk. About fifteen minutes later, thankfully still in view of the car, I see a pretty new looking Nissan Titan Pro-4x heading back from the make shift firing range drive past my car, stop, back up, pull immediately behind my car and come to a complete stop, blocking any exit. The front bumper of the Nissan was maybe 2 feet from my rear bumper, with Joshua Trees and other plant life, rocks, on the sides and in front of me, he effectively trapped my car. After watching the person sit in their car for several minutes without moving, I turn the dogs around (bear in mind I do this so I can walk them off leash) get them under control (they wanted to explore, not go back to the car) and start walking back to my Stelvio to see what this idiot is doing.

What I find is some grinning 80-something guy who tells me he thinks the car is stolen because "It is an expensive vehicle out to be out here. Pretty unusual." (Let's ignore the fact that his over-priced truck stickers within a couple thousand of the Stelvio's base price, and it looks to be about the same age as my car) He volunteers at the Sheriffs department and has called it in as a possible stolen vehicle, a Sheriff is on the way. Now bear in mind the vehicle is registered to a local address and is not reported stolen, the payments are up to date, as is the insurance and registration. Also bear in mind this is the same river bed I have recorded maybe 10 hours of footage in over several months and the exact same place the guy wrecked his truck trying to pull off the same moves I do. I have been walking my dogs in various areas along this riverbed everyday since I got the car almost a year ago, but this guy thinks it is "out-of-place" and that is enough reason to trap me and call the cops.

Great, Sheriff are on their way and I have three dogs without leashes, 2 of them pitbulls, one of them an intact male weighing about 100 lbs. They are obedient, don't jump, don't mouth play, don't run and will drop their butt and freeze in place on command, holding it till I say not to. The male is big and looks scary but he is actually a giant goober who just wants to curl up on your lap and take a nap. I get the prejudice against pitbulls and do everything I can to not be the problem. Being on BLM land it is not illegal to have them off leash, but regardless a lot of police do not like pitbulls, do not like them off leash and experience has taught me that it doesn't matter if the law is being broken. If an Officer is in a bad mood, then things get complex for whoever is on the end of that bad mood. Considering this was called in by a volunteer, my opinion is whoever shows up will have the opinion I am wrong and their "friend" is right.

So this guy sits in his car smiling like a moron with a gun case sitting on his passenger seat, as I load my dogs into the back of the Stelvio, lower the windows and sit to wait for the sheriff...for over 20 minutes. They get there then check all my information and see the car isn't stolen, I am the owner. Then they start asking about the dogs. I prove they are licensed and registered, then get a lecture on how dangerous pitbulls are and how I really shouldn't even have them, especially an intact male (the entire time the cop is calling them dangerous they are sitting in the car doing nothing besides pant and drool, they don't even bark) and head home. Dogs are borderline dehydrated from being stuck in the hot car for an hours, the back still smells like dog, there is so much hair stuck on the carpet now that parts of it look grey (dogs shed more when stressed and they were very stressed on top of it being over 90 so they were shedding like mad to stay cool), the back seat and rear carpeting are covered in dog drool...like dried waterfalls of grossness going down the leather. Pretty ridiculous and annoying to have to deal with for no good reason other than stupidity and people's natural suspicion of things that are unfamiliar.

I had the cops called on me and my car reported as a possible stolen vehicle because some stupid guy didn't think an Alfa Romeo belonged off-road. Understand this is just off a road that goes to a very popular spot for people to fire their guns, so yes, it is unmarked and dirt, but a lot of it is regularly driven by two wheels drive sedans....

Definitly an unexpected downside of having a car as unique as the Stelvio...getting reported as a possible stolen vehicle because it is unusual....first thing to happen that makes me like the car less. Ok, I like the car the same...but, I like busybodies and control freaks even less...

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have 3 pitbulls and constantly get negative feedback about them.

you have alot of patience as I would have freaked out on the old man and reached in and try to haul him through his window if that happened to me in the hot sun.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Thanks for sharing @ALFAOFFROAD. But....how about if you had an appointment? or worse yet, an emergency?
How about if you were reaching into your (fabulous) Stelvio and the Titan a**hole thought you were reaching for a firearm...man, scary stuff. Any apologies afterwards?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Hopefully sheriff suggested the local dick shouldn't take the law in his own hands. He had no right to do that and the cop should be told to mind his own business as well. I would file a complaint against both of them. Nothing worse than a redneck with a gun. That gun gave him "power" to do as he pleased.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
'He volunteers at the Sheriffs department'

well, you gotta appreciate people who volunteer for stuff - but clearly a wannabe who should have a complaint filed against him.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
oh, and I have had a sweet pit and been around them enough to be as comfortable as anybody should be - but if you have ever seen one go after someone, you also know to be leery of ones you don't know.
extremely powerful animals that become extremely focused.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Jesus..What part of the country did this take place in if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Make NYC seem civil. hehe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sue the *******

You should sue the "volunteer," the responding police officer, and the department for which the "volunteer" was acting as agent. Clear case of false imprisonment, arguable case of kidnapping, decent case that your civil rights were violated for being detained without probable cause.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to haul him out of his window and suffocate him with that stupid cap he was wearing...however like I said, Pitbulls. IMO dogs learn aggression from thier owners so when they are around I do my best to stay calm in all circumstances. Doesn't mean I'm nice though...lots of insults and foul language, got pretty creative with my use of nick names...smiled when I said it though and used a calm voice eventhough my fists were balled up and I was shaking a little.

I filed a complaint against the volunteer with the responding officer. Part of why I waited, also because I didnt have anything to do and would rather not force a confrontation with an armed idiot that from his bumper stickers is retired military.

This was in Southern California, next to the largest Marine base in the US, close to some of the best climbing and hiking in So Cal, and the back entrance to the Joshua Tree National Park. There are a lot of cars that get stolen from tourists/hikers/climbers and ditched in the desert till "the heat is off". At least that is what the Sheriff said. Personally I havent seen one in the two years I've lived here but what do I know?

Today I followed up to make sure the complaint got filed properly, it was. I was told he has several complaints and will be dismissed from the volunteer program. Hope so but really dont care, I just want to go for a walk and watch the sunset without being bothered.... The deputy on the phone assured me that would not be a problem in the future. So I'm just going to leave it at this point.

Trying to sue him or the dept. just isn't worth it to me (plus I still dont have solid work, my current gig ends in a week so I'm looking for work again, not hiring anyone for anything), not to mention it wouldn't give me what I want. Don't want money from him, mostly think involving the courts only benefits lawyers....now if I could sue for the right to slap him randomly whenever I see him on the street, or give a solid shin kick, nothing damaging just annoying and painfull for a couple minutes, then it might be a different story...if I could legally make him change his name to Dumbass McPooguzzler that would be worth sueing over too...could a court give me the right to randomly go into his bedroom and blast an air horn in his ear while he is sleeping? That would be fun...

BTW the part of this story that is really stupid is, I live in a VERY small town. One main street (which is the highway), one grocery store. We do have like 7 or 8 stop lights though, and a Jeep dealer so it isnt a one horse town, more like two or three. Regardless I recognize both the guy and his car from the grocery store, pretty sure I have parked close to him once or twice...pretty stupid he can tell the car is unique out in the desert but didn't ever notice it in the Stater Bros parking lot.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wanted to haul him out of his window and suffocate him with that stupid cap he was wearing...however like I said, Pitbulls. IMO dogs learn aggression from thier owners so when they are around I do my best to stay calm in all circumstances. Doesn't mean I'm nice though...lots of insults and foul language, got pretty creative with my use of nick names...smiled when I said it though and used a calm voice eventhough my fists were balled up and I was shaking a little.

I filed a complaint against the volunteer with the responding officer. Part of why I waited, also because I didnt have anything to do and would rather not force a confrontation with an armed idiot that from his bumper stickers is retired military.

This was in Southern California, next to the largest Marine base in the US, close to some of the best climbing and hiking in So Cal, and the back entrance to the Joshua Tree National Park. There are a lot of cars that get stolen from tourists/hikers/climbers and ditched in the desert till "the heat is off". At least that is what the Sheriff said. Personally I havent seen one in the two years I've lived here but what do I know?

Today I followed up to make sure the complaint got filed properly, it was. I was told he has several complaints and will be dismissed from the volunteer program. Hope so but really dont care, I just want to go for a walk and watch the sunset without being bothered.... The deputy on the phone assured me that would not be a problem in the future. So I'm just going to leave it at this point.

Trying to sue him or the dept. just isn't worth it to me (plus I still dont have solid work, my current gig ends in a week so I'm looking for work again, not hiring anyone for anything), not to mention it wouldn't give me what I want. Don't want money from him, mostly think involving the courts only benefits lawyers....now if I could sue for the right to slap him randomly whenever I see him on the street, or give a solid shin kick, nothing damaging just annoying and painfull for a couple minutes, then it might be a different story...if I could legally make him change his name to Dumbass McPooguzzler that would be worth sueing over too...could a court give me the right to randomly go into his bedroom and blast an air horn in his ear while he is sleeping? That would be fun...

BTW the part of this story that is really stupid is, I live in a VERY small town. One main street (which is the highway), one grocery store. We do have like 7 or 8 stop lights though, and a Jeep dealer so it isnt a one horse town, more like two or three. Regardless I recognize both the guy and his car from the grocery store, pretty sure I have parked close to him once or twice...pretty stupid he can tell the car is unique out in the desert but didn't ever notice it in the Stater Bros parking lot.
Glad you stayed calm during and after the fact.

·
Registered
348 Posts
With all do respect....doesn't sound like a place I would take my TI. Put yourself in a precarious situation.
IMO. Sounds like a "truck" place.

·
Registered
348 Posts
By the way...rednecks suck. I live in NoCal in the foothills and have had idiots tell me to get out or their little trailer town in my 2016 Canyon.

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you have any lawyer friends you could get their opinion on the situation because it sounds like the volunteer was operating outside his level of authority and at least would justify a formal complaint if not a law suit if you wanted to really make an example of this guy's inappropriate behavior.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Sun rises earlier in CT! Where y'all escape to on weekends.....

Jim is absolutely correct. This is one of my chief issues with our gun laws. You can question a fist but a gun does not end well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sun rises earlier in CT! Where y'all escape to on weekends.....

Jim is absolutely correct. This is one of my chief issues with our gun laws. You can question a fist but a gun does not end well.
You must be referring to all the people who invade our city lines to find work since nothing is available "back home" :grin

1 - 20 of 45 Posts