Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Upgraded Active Suspension pack- Yay or Nay?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Anunnaki 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all - first time joining a forum so take it easy on me if I'm doing something I'm not supposed to hehe.

I'm from Malta (Europe, 60 Miles south of Sicily, Italy) and am awaiting shipment of my new MY21 Stelvio Veloce Ti. It's a brand new model introduced with the MY21. As I was drafting the specs I want to get a quote from my local Alfa dealer, I was torn between whether or not I should go for the Active suspension option. I decided not to go for it since it was a 5,000 Euro option and all it basically gave you was an option to firm up the suspension and a Limited Slip Diff. Not really concerned about the firmer suspension (roads here aren anything but silky smooth), but every now and then I start wondering if I'd done the right choice not getting the LSD.

My father has a MY20 Lusso Ti with the same 2.0 280bhp that mine will have, and it handles incredibly, so sometimes I'm not too concerned, but other times I can't stop thinking about it.

Any heads up on whether it was a good move or mistake? It's too late now anyways, but just wondering if it ACTUALLY does make that much of a difference.

Nevertheless, extremely excited and can't wait till it's here! First one on our roads supposedly, and feel like it's gonna look great - Anodized Blue, Red Calipers, 20 inch Diamond Cut Teledials, Carbon fibre V/ mirrors/ interior trim, QV half leather half alcantara seats, and sunroof :)

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
It does make a difference. However much less of one then it does in most other cars.

The handling is not a night and day difference, more like dawn vs. Dusk.

However if you really like pushing it through corners and tend to drive using the gas and brake like on/off switches (very little modulation, lots of pressing to the floor) the LSD will be more fun just because the traction control has to intervene less. You will also get better rear brake wear with the LSD if you drive that way..for the same reason.

Same goes for the suspension. Isnt that much stiffer then the non-adjustable. Many people complain about that. The adjustibility is done by the system to provide the handling dynamics of a sport suspension with the ride of the non-sport 90% of the time. The only time it firms up is in "D" mode, even then the button lets you make it softer, not firmer. Unless something changed with the 2020.

So either way, you can get what you want. Sorry for not making your decision easier...

#4 ·
I was in the same dilemma, but finally choosed to go without active suspension and lsd. Not because of the money but because I plan to keep the car after warranty and more complicated electronics and hardware will give me eventually more potential things to brake in the future, although never heard of somebody having problems with AS and LSD here. These are really great features but I am very, very happy with the ride comfort and the handling with my choice. I really do not need the more complicated AS firmer suspension option, because here the roads are crazy bad .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.