Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not sure who’s in charge of Alfa’s US advertising, but it sure isn’t going to entice many buyers. The Stelvio is a driver’s car, but it seems like they are aiming their ads at metrosexual hot yoga instructors. I like Alfas, which is why I bought a new Stelvio, but the repetition ad nauseum of the same banal type of advertising for the Gulia really put me off. Wise up Marchionne! Hire the agency that does the Jaguar advertising.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Are you referring to this ad? Perhaps they may have overemphasized the luxury and status connotation associated with the brand, but I wouldn't associate it with yoga.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
as a long time Alfa owner, most of their advertising doesn't appeal to me - and some just strikes a nerve, as in i don't want to be a part of that demographic.

I recognise they have to sell to a market much bigger than me and people who used to buy Alfas though, so if it works I'm good with it.

the bigger issue is where they place the advertising - it's a waste to put the ads in front of the anti-car people, the prius/tesla crowd, although a few tesla people may be swayed if they were buying for one sort of status settled on a different sort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What the heck?

I agree with what you’re saying about the bigger market. Alfa is trying peel off some BMW, Audi, or Jaguar owners. I just think they’re going about it the wrong way. What the heck is that flash image of a bleeding heart about?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new dancing Stelvio and Giulia ad is inspired. It shows the beauty of the two combined with performance. It should be run more often. Much better than the earlier commercial with the model, the gigolo, and the beating heart.

·
Registered
378 Posts
THIS is the ad that rocks with me. (almost sounds like Eminem, too)

Especially after looking at Lexus, BMW, Benz, Accura, blah, blah, blah -

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true!

Reactions: 1929

·
Registered
250 Posts
THIS is the ad that rocks with me. (almost sounds like Eminem, too)

Especially after looking at Lexus, BMW, Benz, Accura, blah, blah, blah -

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktHO4cgqa3A&feature=youtu.be
Yeah, I believe I commented on this ad too, someone posted it a little while back. It is directly quoting me from three years ago when I was buying my first SUV..all the same, all lame LOL, I said that exact thing over and over (except for the LR Evoque which IMO was the freshest SUV designs to come out in awhile, it always catches my eye)

I find it interesting that a lot of new Stelvio owners are former Evoque owners. I had been obsessed with it since it was released, it was the first SUV to come along on a while that had such a great look to it (IMO). I think we all have good taste :smile and look for the same things in our vehicles..something different that stands apart from the rest...

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
So many are contrived designs-- Lexus (especially with that front end), Murano, Infiniti look like they were designed by a committee that couldn't agree or like Ronald McDonald threw up in CAD-- clown cars-- truly inelegant and designed to project a progressive style that will be obsolete before the title arrives (more about making a splash and being avant garde than true integrated cohesive design). I'm not sure what's gotten into our Japanese friends with the exception of Mazda. Alfa, in the Italian verve, is truly unified art in motion and a work of art beautifully executed. Of course style is subjective and as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are plenty of takers who need the ego extension of making some sort of outlandish statement. Good design (hate to admit it but Hyundai/Kia are good examples) appeals to all of the senses and reflects a timeless elegance. FCA probably should let our Italian friends have more influence in future styling!

Reactions: 1929

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah, I believe I commented on this ad too, someone posted it a little while back. It is directly quoting me from three years ago when I was buying my first SUV..all the same, all lame LOL, I said that exact thing over and over (except for the LR Evoque which IMO was the freshest SUV designs to come out in awhile, it always catches my eye)

I find it interesting that a lot of new Stelvio owners are former Evoque owners. I had been obsessed with it since it was released, it was the first SUV to come along on a while that had such a great look to it (IMO). I think we all have good taste :smile and look for the same things in our vehicles..something different that stands apart from the rest...
I think this is what my loves about the Stelvio. She always wanted a Lexus since she was in high school but was disappointed they didn't offer CarPlay so wanted to check out others. She liked the MDX and X3/5 and then I stumbled across the Stelvio and she fell in love immediately. It just looks different than other SUV's. Any time I show her another SUV she always says to wait until we test drive the Stelvio as that's what she wants. We should finally have time to test drive tonight. She wants a luxury brand name as she's never had one and the Stelvio gives her that plus a unique and attractive appearance. I get something that isn't a bore to drive. Win, win!

·
Super Moderator
2018 Stelvio Base 20" yellow calipers
1,504 Posts
So many are contrived designs-- Lexus (especially with that front end), Murano, Infiniti look like they were designed by a committee that couldn't agree or like Ronald McDonald threw up in CAD-- clown cars-- truly inelegant and designed to project a progressive style that will be obsolete before the title arrives (more about making a splash and being avant garde than true integrated cohesive design). I'm not sure what's gotten into our Japanese friends with the exception of Mazda. Alfa, in the Italian verve, is truly unified art in motion and a work of art beautifully executed. Of course style is subjective and as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are plenty of takers who need the ego extension of making some sort of outlandish statement. Good design (hate to admit it but Hyundai/Kia are good examples) appeals to all of the senses and reflects a timeless elegance. FCA probably should let our Italian friends have more influence in future styling!

Examples attached: Clown Car I and Clown Car II - Credits to A.P. via Forbes. I can see them running around in circles full of Shriners in a parade.

Attachments

Reactions: JnDRader

·
Registered
111 Posts
Examples attached: Clown Car I and Clown Car II - Credits to A.P. via Forbes. I can see them running around in circles full of Shriners in a parade.
To be honest, the Mercedes looks like my Subaru XV Crosstrek, especially with those wheels. Not a fan of the Lexus either.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts

Personally I hated that video, the production line video would make a better tv ad for me, but that just goes to show that they need a variety to reach different people.

I'm not surprised there are lots of former Evoque owners here, I'm one of them too. Both vehicles are similarly priced and have impressive capabilities, with unique and near universally appreciated style. I still think nearly 6 years into the design that the Evoque is one of the best looking vehicles on the road, and the Stelvio is right up there with it.

What does more than just surprise, but absolutely shocks me, is that none of the sales staff any either of the dealers I visited when shopping were even a little familiar with the Evoque or any specs about it. The Larchmont NY dealer had a comparison sheet they gave me discussing various different models from other brands and how the Stelvio compared, not only did it not list the Evoque, it didn't list a single Land Rover / Range Rover badged vehicle, when he asked what I drove he wasn't even aware that they two are priced and optioned similarly. The dealer I bought from even had an Evoque on the lot they had taken in for trade, none of the staff knew the first thing about it. I think Alfa is missing a large demographic of potential customers, they are marketing the Stelvio as a competitor to the F Pace, when they have a trove of Range Rover Evoque owners & buyers that would eagerly buy one. It's as if someone concluded that there is no market crossover between Land Rover or Range Rover buyers and potential Alfa buyers, despite the fact they believe every F Pace buyer is a potential Alfa buyer...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Honestly not sure who Alfa is trying to market the Stelvio too.

Hop I don't offend anyone here but I think one problem could be that Alfa seems to be tagging on with Chrysler dealerships. The one we went to last night was behind the main Chrysler show room, shared with Fiat, and our salesman barely spoke English. Poor kid. Pretty sure I knew more about the Stelvio than he did, though he did seem somewhat knowledgeable about the car at least. The language barrier wasn't too bad but it did make it difficult to convey that we would not buy the car without CarPlay. In any case, this dealership seems to be treated as an afterthought. Hard to find and on first glance not the best sales staff. There's another nearby that we'll visit when we get closer to buying. This one is attached to a Ferrari dealer lol! Curious to see the difference.

·
Registered
250 Posts
My dealer is Maserati/Ferrari/Alfa combo only - no Chrysler. Very upscale but small, they had 2 Maseratis, 2 Ferraris, and 1 Stelvio cramped inside their showroom. Service was attached to the back of the building.
Their company owns separate BMW, Lexus, and Mercedes dealerships in different cities but under the same company umbrella.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Personally I hated that video, the production line video would make a better tv ad for me, but that just goes to show that they need a variety to reach different people.

I'm not surprised there are lots of former Evoque owners here, I'm one of them too. Both vehicles are similarly priced and have impressive capabilities, with unique and near universally appreciated style. I still think nearly 6 years into the design that the Evoque is one of the best looking vehicles on the road, and the Stelvio is right up there with it.

What does more than just surprise, but absolutely shocks me, is that none of the sales staff any either of the dealers I visited when shopping were even a little familiar with the Evoque or any specs about it. The Larchmont NY dealer had a comparison sheet they gave me discussing various different models from other brands and how the Stelvio compared, not only did it not list the Evoque, it didn't list a single Land Rover / Range Rover badged vehicle, when he asked what I drove he wasn't even aware that they two are priced and optioned similarly. The dealer I bought from even had an Evoque on the lot they had taken in for trade, none of the staff knew the first thing about it. I think Alfa is missing a large demographic of potential customers, they are marketing the Stelvio as a competitor to the F Pace, when they have a trove of Range Rover Evoque owners & buyers that would eagerly buy one. It's as if someone concluded that there is no market crossover between Land Rover or Range Rover buyers and potential Alfa buyers, despite the fact they believe every F Pace buyer is a potential Alfa buyer...
The production line video is awesome, but its not an "ad". I believe someone mentioned the clip was possibly a quick superbowl ad. I think its perfect for a quick ad, creates curiosity and excitement about the car, and I like the way it builds up..then the way it ends.
But yes, to each his own..
I also like BMW's ad with the baby/child growing up scenes..totally different message, but clever for who it speaks to..

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Honestly not sure who Alfa is trying to market the Stelvio too.

Hop I don't offend anyone here but I think one problem could be that Alfa seems to be tagging on with Chrysler dealerships.
I think that is a regional thing, my dealership is Alfa & Maserati, but other locations they own under the same umbrella also sell Aston Martin, Bugatti, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, and Pagani. I got to walk through their main service shop while I was dealing with the fuel pump issue, and saw TWO! McLaren P1s, a Veyron, and an Aston Martin Vulcan (among plenty of other high end and exotic cars). Needless to say any worries about their local knowledge on fixing low production number cars was alieved.

Reactions: JnDRader

·
Registered
378 Posts
on CNN

Cool video. I have not seen that one yet on the TV.
While I was busy working on my computer this evening I was glancing at CNN which had several specials on North Korea, the KKK, etc
Was I surprised to see this Alfa Stelvio ad 3 times!! Looked great on TV,

Hopefully, it hit some nerds thinking about buying an Infinity or Lexus. (HUGE yawn.....)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts