Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So one of the things I had an issue with was the fact that when washing the car or just standing in front I could see a lot of rock chips. I mean a lot speckled all over the front. The largest clusters were of course between the grill to across to under the headlights. I did a quick search and also watched a guy with an Alfa use Dr. Color Chip so I decided to give it a try. I ordered the kit that was $65 dollars. I couldn't wait to give it a try. Here are a few images of how it looked before. Sorry I did not take good images before or after.
Before_1.jpg Before_2.jpg Before_3.jpg

I did not fully complete the job but I did most of it. What I learned is you have to take your time because there is the tendency to want to rush because of the number of chips. The product is great and well worth the money. The smaller chips pretty much disappear. The larger chips are reduced a lot in visibility. Here are a few images after completing the job.
After_1.jpg After_2.jpg After_3.jpg After_4.jpg

I also love the fact that it drys quickly so that the process can be done in a short amount of time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi RayJ. I have the a Stelvio in the Alfa Rosso Red. What color did you get from Dr. ColorChip? When I search their site I get a color called Ruby Red. Thanks and welcome to the "family".

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
202 Posts
I have used the Dr colorchip on my Montecarlo blue stelvio and was very impressed with the results.
Great pics!

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
It really is the best system. You can get rid of larger chips almost all together by applying it 5-6 times allowing it to dry in between each coat. It also shows how soft Alfa paint really is sadly.

Reactions: RayJ-HT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are the specs I selected. I made sure to check my door card because I was a little confused with the choices also and didn't want to get the wrong color.
  • Color Code:
    361/361B/PC9
  • Color Name:
    Rosso Competizione Pearl Tricoat
  • Year:
  • Make:
    Alfa Romeo
  • Model:
    All Models
My camera just sucks so I can't get better images no matter how much I try. I will say that I am going to buff the car and really detail it before August. I will finish the chips I didn't do and as stated above double up on the larger ones. The most important thing I have to do though is get some type of clear protection on the front of the car because I am going to continue to chip with the roads where I live.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks great! I seen the dr chip tutorial. Just not sure exactly how it works. You apply the paint to just the chip or to an area slightly bigger than the chip? If the latter, does the touch up paint paint over existing paint? It wasnt quite clear on the video. Wonder how blending it works?

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Ti Montecarlo Blue
202 Posts
Looks great! I seen the dr chip tutorial. Just not sure exactly how it works. You apply the paint to just the chip or to an area slightly bigger than the chip? If the latter, does the touch up paint paint over existing paint? It wasnt quite clear on the video. Wonder how blending it works?
Fill the chip with a little run over.
Then wipe down with the sealact. It wipes the touch up off the undamaged area leaving the chip filled.
Basically the spackling paste for automotive paint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did it a little different after watching this video with a guy I think is the owner of the company. I hope it is ok to post video links here if not I will delete it.

Dr. Color Chip Tutorial

I put the touch up to the side of the chip and used the glove(my hand) to swipe it into the damaged area. Then used the sealant to remove the excess. It is important to use an even stroke with removing the excess and to not wipe to hard or you will remove the paint from the damaged area also. It is super easy and it drys so fast so you can get a lot done if you are patient.

·
Registered
49 Posts
These are the specs I selected. I made sure to check my door card because I was a little confused with the choices also and didn't want to get the wrong color.
  • Color Code:
    361/361B/PC9
  • Color Name:
    Rosso Competizione Pearl Tricoat
  • Year:
  • Make:
    Alfa Romeo
  • Model:
    All Models
My camera just sucks so I can't get better images no matter how much I try. I will say that I am going to buff the car and really detail it before August. I will finish the chips I didn't do and as stated above double up on the larger ones. The most important thing I have to do though is get some type of clear protection on the front of the car because I am going to continue to chip with the roads where I live.
View attachment 22917
View attachment 22918
Thanks RayJ. I tried searching for the color on their site instead of using the color number. It gave me a list of colors to choose from one of which was mine. I have a few small chips. Will give this a try if I can get up the nerve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts