1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love the smell of leather and how it feels.

Looks like the world is really changing fast, lol: VEGAN leather

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/leather-car-seat-vegan/story?id=62169722
What this actually means is that the US and EU need to adopt stricter truth in advertising laws regarding leather (as Brazil has done!). "Vegan leather" has nothing to do with leather. It's plastic, pure and simple. It's like how the FDA (I think. FTC?) has told the "soy milk" and "almond milk" etc people that, since their product contains no actual milk from a mammal, they're going to have to label it something else. I'm betting "nut juice" isn't going to sell as well.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Vegan leather would have to made from vegetables for the name to have any meaning....or the skin of vegans...hmm what if the name is actually correct they just aren't telling us the recycled materials solely come from Burning Man and mainly consist of vegans who died from heat stroke....with a few meat eaters but we don't talk about them... (I'm picturing Charleton Heston running around screaming "Vegan leather is people!!!!!" now.)

Why is being made from vegans considered less cruel than being made from cows? Just seems kinda mean to me, I love animals but making upholstery from people seems bad.

I mean williiaty says it is plastic and a lot of other people say it is plastic..but the manufacturers just say recycled....recycled what???

Don't assume....

(I hope everyone can tell this is a joke...don't start running around telling people vegan leather is people. Or do. ….cause it would be super funny to see protests pop up against the cruelty of vegan leather....)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Mercedes loves "Vegan Leather" ie MB Textiles. I had it on my C300 and it's OK, but really just a way for them to make sure the leased car comes back with the seats in nice condition for the true first owner of the car. Love the REAL leather in my Stelvio.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Try banana peels. That'll keep the losers happy.....

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
it's all in the name - when ultra suede was introduced a long time ago it kinda flopped, as people read it as fake suede.
now it's alcantara, a desirable mix of poly/ure thanes. I guess that makes it vegan, but also hydrocarbon based.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Suedetex is the other name but good point...guess you don't wanna go bananas when you drive eh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts