Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Don't really notice anything like that, but I don't really expect the engine to be perfectly smooth.

Compared to the VW and Ford turbo 4's I have the most experience with this is far more mechanical feeling. Very unfiltered. I would guess you are sensitive enough you are noticing the extra priming the system does after a fill.

Being sensitive isn't a bad thing. Respect for sticking to your guns and finding the
problem with your tires...no one, no matter how experianced or skilled or trained, can find a problem if they aren't looking in the right place or rulling out problems without fully inspecting every part first. I assumed the dealer inspected treadwear and such..seems like that was a bad assumption. Again, good for you..you know how your car should drive.

BTW, I think I got those same tires from tire rack, it complained about the age and condition and got them swapped before install, this was maybe 1 1/2, 2 years ago. Kind of figured that was a fluke not normal....that's pretty cruddy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Its not just a little the idle drops out to almost a stall feeling about 6 times after fill up then its fine i just found it kinda strange but if its normal ill live with it .im tired of going to dealers ...lol

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Quadrifoglio NRING #52/55
18 Posts
Yeah never go to the stealership out of warranty. Find out where your local state police get their cruisers repaired, and go there. Nobody who the state police visit on a regular basis will f+++ with a taxpayer!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 · (Edited)
Update sorry for so long...shake did not go away its still happening got a call yesterday from alfa care said front diff and driveshaft were in dealer should be calling for appointment.i told her thats not going to fix steering shake but ill let them put new parts in all they want...lol
Its something else in front now when i let off brake i get a kinda clunk sound from right front sometimes

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 · (Edited)
No accident on carfax one owner
Just over 26000 miles when i got it
No scratches or any wear at all inside very clean like no one ever drove it.It was a corporate car first reg and title end 2019 so waranty is still good till mid next year

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 · (Edited)
Ok here is the update was at dealer 3 weeks they changed front diff and driveshaft rebalanced and aligned.They said shake was gone .Well i left the dealer and felt the shake immediately .So i called the dealer and they said there was nothing more they could do..I called alfa care they gave me free oil change for my trouble...

This is the worst service i have ever seen i have 8 more months with this --pos-- and no more alfas for me

Cant wait to get out of it....

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Surprised they didn't replace control arms. Id probably want to dump it to. It can be frustrating everytime you drive the car to be reminded it cant be fixed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Ive had the car 5 months its been at dealer service for a total of 2 months of that 2 different dealers.
The next closest one is an hr and 1/2 away. Im not waisting my time any more or my money on this car.

·
Registered
2019 Stelvio Quadrifoglio NRING #52/55
18 Posts
They were probably due to be changed anyway
Tires being overdue for a change is literally a life-threatening situation, not just for you, but for pedestrians, dogs, cats, squirrels, and even turkeys.

What the dealer probably said was, "Lets try tires first and see if it happens. Your tires have 1mm of tread in back."

Anyway here's a life lesson: never go to a dealership for repairs if you are out of warranty unless it's something only they can fix.

I literally had the same experience taking my Infiniti FX-35 to a dealership out of warranty. They wanted $2500 for a water pump replacement job! I went to a Nissan dealership and they did it for $450. So I bought a used Stelvio Quadrifoglio from them and sold the Infiniti. The Quad is a million times better. True story!

Why not to go to the stealership? Well, any mechanic who's any good knows they can make a lot more money running their own shop, or working in a small shop, because dealers mostly do warranty work, and warranty work pays slave labor wages for techs while allocating very little time for diagnosis. So they get in the habit of just throwing expensive parts at the problem until it's fixed, and starting with the low-hanging fruit then working their way up the tree. Their job is to generate revenue for the dealership, not to stake their reputation on being a good mechanic.

There is literally nothing special about Alfas that would mean any good mechanic can't work on them, as long as they know Dodge/Jeep/RAM (so-called "MOPAR" brands, as opposed to GM group/VW group/Toyota group/Ford group/etc.).

Any Alfa parts they need can be bought from MOPAR just as easily as the dealership can get them.

Any diagnosis tools/software for Fiat-Chrysler works on Alfa the same as Jeep.

A Stelvio or Giulia is mechanically just a plain old modern car with wheels, tires, and literally the same exact Bosch ECU conforming to the exact same government standards as 99% of other cars. It has Bosch injectors and a IHI turbo(s) just like a Lexus, VW, or Audi.

Stelvios are just Fiat-Chrysler vehicles. Alfa is even rumored to literally be manufacturing a Dodge crossover next year based on Tonale—kinda like how BMW makes Toyota's Supra (except y'know, if Toyota and BMW were owned together, which who knows, maybe someday they will be!).

Yes even the legendary Quadrifoglio's "Ferrari engine" is mass-produced in Fiat-Chrysler's engine plant in Termoli, Italy—not hand-built in Maranello like real Ferrari engines. (Alfa just went from Ferarri's CAD models and hired one of their designers.)

Life is what you make it. Stelvio is an amazing car, best I've ever driven by far. But at the end of the day it's just a machine, and it will need occasional maintainance. If by now you do not have a mechanic you trust in this world, then here's my advice: find out who services state trooper cars in your area, and go to them for repairs. Because state troopers don't mess around.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In the era of buying cars online this type of issues are going to become more common. Beat the .hit out of the vehicle than sell it to Carvana.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive had the car 5 months its been at dealer service for a total of 2 months of that 2 different dealers.
The next closest one is an hr and 1/2 away. Im not waisting my time any more or my money on this car.
I'm sorry you've been going through these issues with your Stelvio, and a nearly worthless dealer.
If you were here in the Denver area, I would offer to have a look at your car myself.

Let me just be sure I've got the whole list of things that the dealer and tire store have done for you:

A couple of tire replacements, along with a number of road force balances. No change.
Front differential and front driveshaft. No change.

Has anyone actually looked at your shock absorber, front wheel bearings, and your front brake rotors and pads?
26k miles is around the point where some cars need a pad and rotor swap, and those being in bad shape can lead to a shake through the steering wheel.
At the very least, you could have a clean up cut performed on the front rotors, and new pads, just to eliminate that as an issue.

I'm sorry you've seen no improvement after spending $2k, but if your car needed tires, I'm not sure how much you have spent out of pocket on non-tires related services so far.

BC.

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport 2.0L Volcano Black Metallic/Red Int.
27 Posts
I live in West Palm Beach; & for anyone reading this, STAY AWAY FROM ARRIGO ALFA ROMEO WPB. It will, in fact, be the worst experience of your lives. They are much too incompetent to perform ANY service to ANY vehicle. Ive had to deal with them on numerous occasions regarding software updates and warranty repair work. They not only not know how to diagnose and fix these vehicles, but they will leave you sitting in the lobby for 6 hrs while they are not even doing the required work to the car. Ive sat there for 4 hrs at one appointment and after finally asking if car was done, they said it was done 2 hrs ago. Well thanks for telling me! Took the car home only to realize they didnt fix the problem AT ALL. (Chirping noise coming from one of the front wheel wells; maybe wheel bearing or possibly axle joint etc..) They wrote up an entire “service report” under warranty only for me to confirm they didnt actually replace the parts. Still have the sound to this day and just got used to dealing with it. As i said before, this wasnt the only time, and it was EVERY time. The service managers dont know jack sh** about the cars; the techs are not even ASE certified. Spoke to one of the younger techs there (20 yr old). We got along & He said I should apply to the dealership if i was interested. Told him i know my stuff but have Zero professional experience. He said they would hire me anyway, coming to find out that he had no qualifications to work there. After further digging I found openings on indeed.com showing the job descriptions for the service techs; they do NOT require certification or experience. Maybe im wrong but I’ve never heard of someone not qualified doing more than just tires, oil changes, & flushes (tune ups). But they will let you do it all! The dealership as a whole is a joke. Ive even stood in front of the door after calling for hours prior, and called them just to watch what they would do through the glass. 3 people standing there chatting and laughing while i called. So i hung up and called again AS i walked in the door, they said welcome in, i just looked at the phone ringing, held up my phone to them, and said thanks for the excellent customer service. I walked out fuming and left. As stated all over this forum, the cars are great but the dealer network is not. But the worst by far is most definately Arrigo WPB. They have no clue what they are doing with cars or customers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
The brakes feel smooth at the pedal no pulsating when stopping like a warped rotor would feel and there is still 1/2 the pads left..

The strange part is the shake in steering wheel is not always there. On the way to work this morning was shaking ...On the way home no shake i couldnt even make it shake ..But on the way home yesterday it was shaking alot .all the same route 95 n and south.Almost like something is shifting a certain way and then it shakes ..im at a loss

Someone told me to try stuart alfa there supposed to be real good but its an hr and a 1/2 ride and im tired of waisting my time with this...

101 - 120 of 140 Posts